Old 13-10-2005   #1
MyCE Junior Member

very newbie question: how do you burn like 100 songs on one cd?

Ok, this may be a completely elementary question, but I still need help. I have been downloading and burning songs on cds for years. I always make cds with about 19 songs per cd (and i believe the songs are in wav format). I recently got an ipod and took about 90 songs off my cds, put them onto my computer, and the onto my ipod. now i would like to burn those songs onto a cd I can listen to at work. I know people have really large song collections and store 100 or so songs on each cd. I would like to do that, but when I try, i get the message that only so many songs will fit (about 19 again). So, my newbie questions are: how can i fit like 100 songs onto one cd? do i have to convert them in a program? and once i get them onto a cd, will that play in average cds players?
Thanks!!
NMR1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005   #2
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Re: very newbie question: how do you burn like 100 songs on one cd?

Try to burn not in "audio CD" format, but "DATA disc" containing mp3 songs. In this way, if you can put on a 700 MB CD about 140 songs of 5 MB each.

Obviously, larger are songs, lesser are contained on a CD. Anyway, you can put about a hundred of songs on a single CD. If you burn a DVD you can put more than 500 mp3 on a single disc.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005   #3
MyCE Junior Member

thanks for your help.
here's another stupid question... would my music files that I uploaded from my cds onto my computer thru itunes be in MP3 format? They loaded onto my ipod easily, so I would assume that they are. it didn't give me an option when i uploaded them. if they aren't MP3s, how do I make them into MP3s?
i saw an option to burn a data disc, so i will try that tonight.
THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno888
Try to burn not in "audio CD" format, but "DATA disc" containing mp3 songs. In this way, if you can put on a 700 MB CD about 140 songs of 5 MB each.

Obviously, larger are songs, lesser are contained on a CD. Anyway, you can put about a hundred of songs on a single CD. If you burn a DVD you can put more than 500 mp3 on a single disc.
Old 13-10-2005   #4
New on Forum

be aware that not all cd players will play mp3 cds, nor will all [most] dvd players play mp3s from a dvd disc
G|-|osterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
thanks for your help.
here's another stupid question... would my music files that I uploaded from my cds onto my computer thru itunes be in MP3 format? They loaded onto my ipod easily, so I would assume that they are. it didn't give me an option when i uploaded them. if they aren't MP3s, how do I make them into MP3s?
i saw an option to burn a data disc, so i will try that tonight.
THANKS!
The songs you DL from itunes are .aac files, Apple's form of mp3, so when you use itines to convert cd's they're going to be .aac files as well. The files may be copy protected so converting them to mp3 may be a little difficult. There are probably hacks out there for doing it, but none i can think of off the top of my head. The reason for this is to minimize file sharing. If you want to convert your cd's to mp3s try cd-ex or Exact Audio Copy. Both programs are free and very easy to use. EAC extracts audio more accurately but cd-ex is a little easier to use.
sikoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005   #6
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks for all your help. What do you think the chances are that a somewhat new Phillips cd player (the one I use at work) will play a cd full of MP3s? Would you say most don't play MP3s or most do? Just wondering....
I was under the impression that most did and will probably find out I am wrong once I figure out how to do it
Old 14-10-2005   #7
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Sorry, I don't know if your philips CD player will play mp3s, but you can play your mp3s on a PC with windows media player or, better, with Winamp.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMR1279
Thanks for all your help. What do you think the chances are that a somewhat new Phillips cd player (the one I use at work) will play a cd full of MP3s? Would you say most don't play MP3s or most do? Just wondering....
I was under the impression that most did and will probably find out I am wrong once I figure out how to do it
Its a real good chance it will, because even the cheapest cd players at BB will do it. If you want to burn a mp3 cd, what i would do is load the mp3s you want to burn in your media player ( i use Winamp ) in the order you want to hear them and then save that playlist. Next burn all of those mp3s to a DATA disc (don't put them in a folder to be safe) with the playlist file and if your player plays mp3s, you should be fine.
sikoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2005   #9
MyCE Junior Member

other than using itunes to get songs off my cds and onto my computer, I got a free $40 gift certificate to itunes to buy individual songs. I have downloaded a few songs and put them on my ipod. I was under the impression purchased itunes could be put on a cd and listened to on cd players....is this the case or are they .aac files as well?
Old 21-10-2011   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMR1279 View Post
Ok, this may be a completely elementary question, but I still need help. I have been downloading and burning songs on cds for years. I always make cds with about 19 songs per cd (and i believe the songs are in wav format). I recently got an ipod and took about 90 songs off my cds, put them onto my computer, and the onto my ipod. now i would like to burn those songs onto a cd I can listen to at work. I know people have really large song collections and store 100 or so songs on each cd. I would like to do that, but when I try, i get the message that only so many songs will fit (about 19 again). So, my newbie questions are: how can i fit like 100 songs onto one cd? do i have to convert them in a program? and once i get them onto a cd, will that play in average cds players?
Thanks!!
A CD can hold about an hour of audio music. Audio music isn't very efficiently stored. But the same CD holds about a 750 Megs of space for files.

A typical MP3 file which is a digital way of storing audio (greatly compressed) results in songs that are maybe 4.3 Megabytes.

That means, if you write MP3's to your CD instead of an hour of audio you can fit on 750M/4.3 Meg per song = 172 songs. That amount of songs would typically be about equal to 12 hours or so of music.

You can convert music from CD (audio) to MP3 using software like Itunes or Musicmatch. You can convert from MP3 to audio using the same software.

I hope this helps.

Audio Files = 13 or so.
MP3 files = 172 or so.
jludwi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #11
MyCE Resident

The limit for tracks on a CDDA is 99.
So you wither combine them or use other formats like mp3.

PS. Why do you ressurrect an 5 years old thread??

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #12
Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
PS. Why do you ressurrect an 5 years old thread??
The threads are not there just for the original posters, they're there for anyone that comes across them and wants to comment further on a particular topic, which I see you have also chosen to do.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #13
MyCE Resident

Yeah, howdy wombler!

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #14

Thanks for being here - Your forum board posts work much better than my memory. I could not remember How I did that before ? Which Burner did I use? etc. Hence the username *olegin* . So I will search your forums for info .
Thanks for posts and reposts.
; )
olegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #15

Right click on the song and make mp3 version of the song. Drag your song and make your own playlist by clicking on the plus sign on the bottom and naming it what you want.
johnnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote