Old 10-10-2005   #1
New on Forum

Typical Movie Size ~8GB?

I'm new to DVD burning for the purpose of backing up my movies. (I can't keep a disk for a year before the kids scratch it.) I've noticed that the first few movies I've attempted to back-up are close to 8BG. Is this typical of a movie DVD as far as file sizes?

Thanks...Strorg
strorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #2
MyCE Senior Member

Re: Typical Movie Size ~8GB?

No, the size of the movie can vary by quite a bit... considering an actual movie can be anwhere from an hour to three of four hours, and considering that there may be as few as one video and one audio stream, or many.

Using DVDShrink, you can usually get such a "DVD-9" or "dual layer" DVD onto a 4.7GB DVD±R by removing some audio streams and special features.
NRen2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Typical Movie Size ~8GB?

Many movies fit nicely onto a single-layer disc, meaning around 4GB in size. Others are 8.5GB in size. Some (Lord of the Rings) get split down the middle and flow onto two discs. It's all relative. More and more movies, however, are being put onto dual-layer discs, what with all the extras.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote