Old 03-02-2008   #1
MyCE Junior Member

.TS file to DVD

Hello

I have a Humax PVR which for the first time have transferred a film from it to my laptop. I want to burn it to DVD but it is a .TS file. I have DVD Flick which is great for AVI files but it does not support this format. Does anyone know of any software that can do this? The cheaper the better!

Many thanks
Helen
helen4474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #2
CE Freak

Re: .TS file to DVD

Do you mean it's a VIDEO_TS folder (with ifo, bup and vob files in it)?

Edit: I see, it's not a folder but a DVB "transport stream" file. You need to convert it to mpeg before you can burn it to DVD with burning software like Nero etc. I haven't tried this, but SUPER is supposed to convert anything and it's free (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html).

Last edited by Cressida; 03-02-2008 at 22:58.
Cressida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #3
DVD Freak

Not sure Nero Recode can handle TS (transport stream) files.

When everything fails search for guides at doom9, and also for tools like MEncoder.
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #4
MyCE Junior Member

Call me daft but how do I find out what it contains? I have VLC Media Player installed so it comes up as a VLC file .TS in properties.
Old 03-02-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

There's a new tool in town,
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Quick_Media_Converter
I'm gonna try it out....
But see this,
http://www.videohelp.com/guides/doom...uide-id677#677

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #6
CE Freak

Please ignore my first comment about bup, ifo and vob files in a video_ts folder (that's what the result should look like, once you have made the DVD ).

Again, search for "ts to mpeg" conversion tools and guides. Apart from SUPER, there's two other free alternatives I've found with a quick google:
* pvastrumento - http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PVAStrumento
* ProjectX - http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ProjectX

Once you have converted the ts to an mpeg-2 file, you can then use any DVD authoring/burning software to put it on DVD by starting a "DVD Video" project. Maybe someone who's done this before will come along still.
Cressida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #7
Senior Moderator & Editor

Probably it is a MPEG2 transport stream.

If you don't want to lose quality and don't mind paying; then I suggest Video ReDo (the 'Plus' version or the 'TV Suite'). It will load the file and allow you to edit out adverts etc; then the TV Suite version will reauthor with a menu and burn to DVD. See here:

http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm

Otherwise the basic freeware route is: .TS file -> Project X -> IFOedit -> ImgBurn

For menus on the DVD: .TS file -> Project X -> Imago MPEG Muxer -> DVD Styler -> Imgburn

Edit: Cressida got here first...
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #8
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks for all your replies, i'm gonna give Quick Media Converter a go first, one excellent review. Will let you all know how I get on. Thanks again. ? Helen
Old 06-02-2008   #9
MyCE Junior Member

Hi

I've sucessfully converted TS file to MPEG then used DVD Flick & Image Burn (already on my laptop) to burn to disc, so relatively painless. Would recommend Quick Media Convertor, it's so simple to use and supports a variety of different formats.

Many thanks for all your help.

Helen
Old 06-02-2008   #10
MyCE Resident

TS is transport stream but it differs with any PVR.

The way Cressida & imkidd57 have posted is the easiest one.
Als TSRemux can be handy.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #11
MyCE Junior Member

Hi

I've now got another problem i'm hoping you can help with. My 'test' file was about an hour long which worked perfectly with Quick Media Convertor. My next file was a film (die hard3 ) this did not work, as soon as I set Quick Media Convertor to go it said 'error'. I have read in the forum (which you can't really ask a question on which is why i'm back here!) that you have to 'supress' files. I have taken this to mean compress and used winrar to do so, this didn't work. So i've since transferred another small test file and this has worked again. I can only assume that the film is too large. Does anyone have any ideas, does 'supress' mean using a certain program?
Old 10-02-2008   #12
Administrator

What are you trying to do with the movie? Die Hard 3 I mean. Are you trying to convert to another format, or just make a backup on a blank dvdr?

Quick Media Converter is a very new program...haven't any experience with it, though I did download it to look at the user interface.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #13
MyCE Junior Member

I'm trying to convert it to MPEG2 so that I can burn it to DVD.
Old 10-02-2008   #14

Helen, your Humax file is already MPEG2 (itself a compressed video type), and just needs 'unpacking' from the transport stream (TS) back to a program stream (PS).

I suggested a couple of freeware routes above, but they may be a bit complicated for a beginner to start with. Why not try downloading Video ReDo TV Suite, as it has a month's free trial and will give you something reliable to work on for a while until you get used to the freeware alternatives (if that's what you'd eventually prefer). I use VRD-TVS myself and know it will handle TS files from PVRs like the Humax.
Old 17-02-2008   #15
MyCE Junior Member

Many Thanks for all your help, didn't realise original file was already MPEG2, thought that was what I needed to convert to, thanks for the explanation. Tried Project X but the audio was out of sync, so tried Video Re Do and that worked. Finally got there. Didn't really want to pay for a programme but I guess you get what you pay for! I should mention that Quick Media Convertor took about 2 1/2 hours to convert my film, while the other programs only took about 10 mins.
Thanks again
Helen
Old 17-02-2008   #16
Senior Moderator

I use PVA Strumento to demux and 'clean up' the saved TS from my Hauppauge. I then author in GUI For DVD Author adding chapter marks at the end of commercial breaks. Both free and works like a charm. The chapters at the end of the commercials allows me to hit 'next' on the DVD player and skip the commercials, without having to edit them out.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008   #17
MyCE Junior Member

I was going to try PVA Strumento next but read the reviews and although they say it is a good program they say it is complicated so i've stayed away from it so far, i'm a bit new to this. Any user tips you've got would be great. Another question i've got is what does 'demux' mean?

Cheers Helen
Old 17-02-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen4474 View Post
Another question i've got is what does 'demux' mean?
"Demux" is short for "Demultiplex": the process of separating out the individual elementary streams (video, audio, subtitles).

Likewise, "mux" refers to the process of putting them all back together again ("multiplex").
Old 17-02-2008   #19
MyCE Junior Member

I was going to try PVA Strumento next but read the reviews and although they say it is a good program they say it is complicated so i've stayed away from it so far, i'm a bit new to this. Any user tips you've got would be great. Another question i've got is what does 'demux' mean?

Cheers Helen
Old 17-02-2008   #20

You seem to be repeating yourself, Helen: I answered your 'mux' question.
Old 18-02-2008   #21
MyCE Junior Member

Sorry, don't know how that happened ???
Old 19-02-2008   #22
New on Forum

I feel I have to jump in here, because you guys all seem to be making a problem where there isn't one. All you have to do to convert the Humax transport stream file to an Mpeg is - rename it from .TS to .MPG. The only oddity is that the MPG file won't play in WinAmp or Windows Movie Maker (the audio's OK but the video isn't there. In Winamp you get the first frame, in MM you get nothing). However it plays fine in Real Alternative and Windows Media Player, and can be written to a DVD with NeroVisoin Express.
If anyone happens to know why the MPeg won't play in WinAmp I'd be interested to hear.
DaveMidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008   #23
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMidge View Post
I feel I have to jump in here, because you guys all seem to be making a problem where there isn't one. All you have to do to convert the Humax transport stream file to an Mpeg is - rename it from .TS to .MPG. The only oddity is that the MPG file won't play in WinAmp or Windows Movie Maker (the audio's OK but the video isn't there. In Winamp you get the first frame, in MM you get nothing). However it plays fine in Real Alternative and Windows Media Player, and can be written to a DVD with NeroVisoin Express.
If anyone happens to know why the MPeg won't play in WinAmp I'd be interested to hear.
I doubt its that easy, because the TS from DVRs is no standard TS anyway.
Why would anyone use Winamp for video???
MPC & VLC is the answer.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote