Old 06-12-2008   #1
New on Forum

Trying to copy DVD's onto Portable Hard Drive

My husband is getting ready to deploy to Iraq and he wants to take DVD's with him and I cant figure out how to save them. I purchased My Passport Essential 500GB portable hard drive. I have downloaded DVDneXTcopy3 and also machinist2. Each time I put a DVD in and select copy to hard disk it says it is copying the files. When I try to open them there is only a few seconds of the movie on the file. Please help...I need to have this completed before the 19th.

Thanks,
Angie
lilbit7729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Trying to copy DVD's onto Portable Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit7729 View Post
My husband is getting ready to deploy to Iraq and he wants to take DVD's with him and I cant figure out how to save them. I purchased My Passport Essential 500GB portable hard drive. I have downloaded DVDneXTcopy3 and also machinist2. Each time I put a DVD in and select copy to hard disk it says it is copying the files. When I try to open them there is only a few seconds of the movie on the file. Please help...I need to have this completed before the 19th.

Thanks,
Angie
Angie, use XviD4PSP
This app can rip uprotected DVDs to any format imaginable. And, best of all,
it cost $0 ...
Macrovision3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #3
Administrator

You need to decrypt the dvds in order to copy them or transcode them to another format.

To do this use an up to date decryption/ripping program. I suggest getting DVDFab HD Decrypter. It is free to download and use. http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
Be aware that as you use this free section, you will be using up the free trial of the main program, but the free decryption/ripping section will continue to work even after the 30 day trial is finished.

If you want the dvds in their original format, you just have to use this program and copy the movies onto the external drive. They will take a lot of room this way, so you may just want to rip only the main movie rather than all the extras. There is an option to do this with DVDFab HD Decrypter.

If you want them in even smaller sizes, you can use the program that Macrovision linked to make them into xvid avi files. (convert the ripped dvds and save them to the external drive). This will take a fair amount of time to convert. There are lots of different programs that can do this conversion...Xvid4PSP is just one. Lots of people use AutoGK.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #4
New on Forum

Thank you for your help. I downloaded DVDFab and was able to get the dvd saved. However, when i try to play the movie it wont do it. Any suggestions?
lilbit7729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

Play with VLC media player..

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #6
MyCE Resident

lilbit7729,
Try DVD43 DVD Decrypter on the fly (freeware)
and, the other one on my post (also freeware) and, this will be very cool...

btw, DVDFree only removes garbage on a DVD folder not on the fly...
Macrovision3500 is offline   Reply With Quote