Old 20-10-2007   #1
New on Forum

Is there a way to resume a firefox download

I am downloading a rather large file but didn't take the precaution of using a download manager. Now due to a power cut I am sitting with an unfinished download. Is there a way to recover this download to be resumed.
tsakani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007   #2
New on Forum

Re: Is there a way to resume a firefox download

Yo just figured it out. Moved the .part file into the download directory and renamed it to .jc! and resumed it using flashget
tsakani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007   #3
New on Forum

I am trying to do this myself at the moment...
Can someone give me a step-by-step please?
Newb in the ranks. xD

Ninten
Ninten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsakani View Post
I am downloading a rather large file but didn't take the precaution of using a download manager. Now due to a power cut I am sitting with an unfinished download. Is there a way to recover this download to be resumed.
I would not resume a download that was cut off in the middle of a power outage cause it causes the file to be corrupted....rather redownload the file or get a downloader program that will save it for you and download the file when you have time to resume downloading the file....only if you stop the download would it be safe to download the file again..... Also what kinda of internet connection do you have ??? Dial up ?? DSL ?? Cable?? Fiber?? How big is the file though and where you downloading the file from is going to also determine how fast it gets downloaded as well and time and bandwidth has to be taken into considering when downloading large file(s).
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #5
New on Forum

i know a simple solution. pls coppy da incomplete file. then restart da download. when download start just pause it. n again da incomplete file
coppy in download folder or where u downloading. then resume da download. i hope it will work
ikukbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009   #6

ok this is very useful so even though it's a very old post ill elaborate on tsakani 's explanation with flashget. You need to get the old 1.9.6 flashget here " http://down6.flashget.com/flashget196en.exe " or if that doesn't work just go to their main site here " http://www.amazesoft.com/en/download.htm ". Older versions might work (haven't tried tho) but the new 3.3 wont, it uses a new save method, so get the older 1.9.6, it works fine anyways.

Now take the broken dowload, which can only firefox's .part or file's which sizes accurately represent how much of the download was finished (meaning the .part file says its smaller than 80 MB when the whole file is 80 MB but some download managers like flashget and DAP show the file as 80 MB the whole time). Oddly enough, this doesnt even work on flashget's own downloads because flashget saves the incomplete files as much larger than what they actually are, for example, it will have only downloaded 1 MB of a 80 MB file but the incomplete file will say its 50 MB or more. For megaupload however, the file size seems to be accurate... odd... anyways you can't use it most of the time but that shouldn't be a problem since you can always resume flashget's downloads from inside flashget by changing the url.

Now just go into flashget, select the file tab > import > import broken downloads... Find the " .part " file, and select it. Now it will ask you for a new url. Here you put the url for the file you want to continue downloading. If you dont know how to find only the url, just select ok without putting in a url.

Next go to the site where you downloaded the file originally, for example megaupload, since it and all the other download sites are the only kind which you can't just resume downloads. Let the timer finish, and hold down the alt key while you click the download button, this will force flashget to grab the download. Now don't select ok, just copy the url, and select cancel so it doesn't download. Now right click on the imported broken download, and select the properties. Now in its url box, put the url you got from the other download window. Now select okay, and right click start. Should continue the download after a few seconds. Now after you click download you have to do this fairly quickly, or there will be a timeout from megaupload, which is probably about 30 secs - 1min, after that it wont work, but dont worry, that is plenty of time to change the url, and you can always retry if you take too long. As for people with skipscreen, such as me, the holding alt wont work, so just get the " FlashGot " extension from here " https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220 " or Mozilla's addon page if that link is dead. That will redirect the download to flashget. Flashgot might also help with sites in which holding down alt doesn't work.

When the download is done, don't forget to remove the " .part " extension because flashget will not do it. The file should be fully functional after that. Also, sometimes i found that flashget would not resume the download even with changing the url to a new working one, but if this happens closing flashget and firefox and clearing all the private data worked and the next time it would resume the download. Clearing your private data may not be necessary, try it without clearing first, then if it still doesn't work clear it.

If you still have more questions just post them here and ill be happy to answer

Last edited by AndrewB12; 29-12-2009 at 21:39.
AndrewB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

Thread is 2 years old but thanks for your input and BTW welcome to MyCE
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
( Old like me ) But does the job great
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim +R's Only In My Burners
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )(San Diego Gas & Electric Retired (20 years)
Proudly Served On
USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

Yes thanks for hasing a old thread but there is a better software then what your saying but since they the original OP didn't state what the file was and being that large I doubt it is some kinda flash plugin will work correctly. The OP will need something like Free download manager that can resume and download links by itself without using the broswer to do so. Just as Jimbo says it's good for the input but at least check the dates to make sure your responding to most current or closer to revelant discussion. And if you do have something else to add creating your own thread would be more apporiate to discusson leaving the original posting to the OP whom created it.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #9
Administrator

Gentlemen. Threads are deliberately left open so that people can find and comment on them, regardless of age.

There is nothing wrong with AndrewB12 adding information to this thread, so please refrain from making comments on the age of the thread and discouraging people from posting.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #10
Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
Gentlemen. Threads are deliberately left open so that people can find and comment on them, regardless of age.

There is nothing wrong with AndrewB12 adding information to this thread, so please refrain from making comments on the age of the thread and discouraging people from posting.
Couldn't have put that better myself Kerry.

AndrewB12's post is on topic, informative and will probably be useful to others revisiting this thread which is exactly the sort of thing we seek encourage here.

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Thread is 2 years old but thanks for your input and BTW welcome to MyCE
Sorry my baddddddd
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
( Old like me ) But does the job great
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim +R's Only In My Burners
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )(San Diego Gas & Electric Retired (20 years)
Proudly Served On
USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009   #12
MyCE Resident

If nothing else, the poster should be commended for using the search function...

Backup System
Intel D865GLC P4 3.0E 4GB DDR400 2x Maxtor 250GB BenQ 1620 BenQ 1650 Matrox P650
InWin Q500/Antec True550 Dual 17"LCD

Workhorse System
SuperMicro P6DBS P3 850MHz x 2 1GB SDRAM 4x Seagate UW 9.1GB LiteOn 1633S Pioneer A-305S Matrox G450
InWin Q500/PC Power & Cooling 510 ATX Dual 15"LCD

Play System
AOpen AX4SG P4 2.8E 2GB DDR400 2x Maxtor 160GB BenQ 1620 BenQ 822A Matrox G550
Antec CS600/Antec True550 Dual 17"LCD

Server/Firewall
Biostar P4TDK P4 2.4GHz 2GB DDR400 2x Seagate 160GB BenQ 1620 LiteOn SOHD 167T
Matrox G450 Antec CS600/Antec True550 19" CRT

All Computers Use TB SantaCruz Sound Cards & RealMagic Hollywood+ DVD Decoder cards
pipemanid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009   #13

Wow didn't think my post would stir up such reactions. Anyways just to clarify for coolcolours and others who might read:

"since they the original OP didn't state what the file was and being that large I doubt it is some kinda flash plugin will work correctly. "

The plugin is only to redirect the download to flashget if you are using firefox, it does not actually download anything. Maybe you should read the post more carefully.

"The OP will need something like Free download manager that can resume and download links by itself without using the broswer to do so."

1: Flashget can resume its own downloads like almost any other download manager.
2: The issue wasnt resuming its own downloads, it was resuming firefrox's downloads, and free download manager cant do that. Neither can Internet download manager, or download accelerator plus, the three most popular programs it seems. None of them have an "import broken downloads" option, and if you try and pause the download and copy the old file over the new one that doesn't work either, both free download manager (FDM) and download accelerator plus (DAP) just overwrite the file, while internet download manager (IDM) has a much more complex way of downloading files in appdata and so you cant just try to overwrite the new file with the old one.
3:Even those download managers cant resume downloads from megaupload or any of the download sites where the url dies if you timeout, firefox also has its own resume function as of late, but since you cant change the url of the download it is useless for broken downloads with megaupload. Also I have tried the other 3 (DAP, FDM, IDM) and you can do the same thing with changing the url to resume the download, but i found that if the download did timeout sometimes instead of recognizing this those download managers would show "error" and even after you change the url it restarts the download from 0 instead of continuing it. So that is why I wrote the tutorial for flashget and not the new download managers, I spent a lot of time figuring this out, this is as far as i know it's still the most "recent" way to resume broken firefox downloads from those special download sites, if you are downloading from a regular site, you can just use firefox's built in resume function.

"Just as Jimbo says it's good for the input but at least check the dates to make sure your responding to most current or closer to revelant discussion. And if you do have something else to add creating your own thread would be more apporiate to discusson leaving the original posting to the OP whom created it."

I hate it when people say "dont bring up old threads" or when people close threads. Let me explain, why do you think i joined this forum? I just happened to decide to join club myce out of the billion other forums out there? No, I looked up how to resume firefox downloads in google, and this was one of the first links. I had never heard of flashget, so this forum pointed me to it and helped me solve my problem. But it was incomplete, I first downloaded the new flashget, which wasted my time since it doesnt work, and there were no instructions, so even after i downloaded the older version i had to fiddle with the options for a few hours before i got everything working. Then it took me an hour to join this site and write that post to save you and others time when you search on google "how to resume firefox downloads". Could I create my own thread? Sure, but this one would still be floating there, and people would link to it, and get no answer, and they would have to search for mine, which google might not pull up. And if someone asks you a question here, would you create your own thread and answer there? It would be stupid and create a lot of confusion with 20 threads for the same topic. It is much better with a question and an answer in the same place. And if this thread were closed, I could never have posted this, and google would continue to dig up this thread with only half an answer, and you know, in a year, maybe the old flashget will be unavailable, and I hope then someone else will post a new alternative, but if the thread is closed, or people are discouraged from posting, this old thread will become useless, only wasting people's time, so either completely delete it, or let people post.

I understand why old threads are sometimes discouraged from posting, no point cluttering an old thread with tons of pointless posts, but mine was not pointless, it answered the original question better than it already had been, if anything the useless posts are of people complaining about someone reviving old posts.
Old 01-01-2010   #14
MyCE Member

your post helped me .

thanks
ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #15
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB12 View Post
ok this is very useful so even though it's a very old post ill elaborate on tsakani 's explanation with flashget. You need to get the old 1.9.6 flashget here " http://down6.flashget.com/flashget196en.exe " or if that doesn't work just go to their main site here " http://www.amazesoft.com/en/download.htm ". Older versions might work (haven't tried tho) but the new 3.3 wont, it uses a new save method, so get the older 1.9.6, it works fine anyways.

Now take the broken dowload, which can only firefox's .part or file's which sizes accurately represent how much of the download was finished (meaning the .part file says its smaller than 80 MB when the whole file is 80 MB but some download managers like flashget and DAP show the file as 80 MB the whole time). Oddly enough, this doesnt even work on flashget's own downloads because flashget saves the incomplete files as much larger than what they actually are, for example, it will have only downloaded 1 MB of a 80 MB file but the incomplete file will say its 50 MB or more. For megaupload however, the file size seems to be accurate... odd... anyways you can't use it most of the time but that shouldn't be a problem since you can always resume flashget's downloads from inside flashget by changing the url.

Now just go into flashget, select the file tab > import > import broken downloads... Find the " .part " file, and select it. Now it will ask you for a new url. Here you put the url for the file you want to continue downloading. If you dont know how to find only the url, just select ok without putting in a url.

Next go to the site where you downloaded the file originally, for example megaupload, since it and all the other download sites are the only kind which you can't just resume downloads. Let the timer finish, and hold down the alt key while you click the download button, this will force flashget to grab the download. Now don't select ok, just copy the url, and select cancel so it doesn't download. Now right click on the imported broken download, and select the properties. Now in its url box, put the url you got from the other download window. Now select okay, and right click start. Should continue the download after a few seconds. Now after you click download you have to do this fairly quickly, or there will be a timeout from megaupload, which is probably about 30 secs - 1min, after that it wont work, but dont worry, that is plenty of time to change the url, and you can always retry if you take too long. As for people with skipscreen, such as me, the holding alt wont work, so just get the " FlashGot " extension from here " https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220 " or Mozilla's addon page if that link is dead. That will redirect the download to flashget. Flashgot might also help with sites in which holding down alt doesn't work.

When the download is done, don't forget to remove the " .part " extension because flashget will not do it. The file should be fully functional after that. Also, sometimes i found that flashget would not resume the download even with changing the url to a new working one, but if this happens closing flashget and firefox and clearing all the private data worked and the next time it would resume the download. Clearing your private data may not be necessary, try it without clearing first, then if it still doesn't work clear it.

If you still have more questions just post them here and ill be happy to answer

i have flashget 1.96 and when i right click on the mouse to a file and select download with flashget , nothing happens . is there a setting i have to enable for this to direct the download into flashget .
ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #16

i guess flashgot (i assume thats what you mean, not flashget, since you shouldnt see flashget integrated into firefox) didnt default to flashget, just open firefox go to alt > tools > flashgot > more options
or alt > tools > addons and then select options for the flashgot addon.
Now under the general tab select the download manager to be flashget (not flashget 2 or 2.x)
After this you shouldn't even need to rightclick (unless its a picture) since if you left-click the dialog box will pop up as normal except now instead of just "open with" and "save file" you should have a flashgot option too.

Tell me if I misunderstood your question or if it doesnt work
Old 06-01-2010   #17

I also found andrew's information helpful. The only part I am confused about is how to rename or remove so that its not a "part" after I am finished. Thanks .
Liza591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #18
Senior Moderator

Hi and Welcome!

just read the documentation of your operating system how to rename a file

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #19
MyCE Resident

You can only use resume if the source (server) supports it.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
You can only use resume if the source (server) supports it.
not true, read my post more carefully, you can resume megaupload downloads which do not support resume
Old 10-01-2010   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza591 View Post
I also found andrew's information helpful. The only part I am confused about is how to rename or remove so that its not a "part" after I am finished. Thanks .
I am assuming you are using windows. So just find the finished file, the .part should be visible in the filename since it isnt associated with any program. If it is visible, just right click > rename and delete the ".part" of the file. Firefox always keeps the original extension, so a file called "a.exe" would become under an incomplete firefox download "a.exe.part". If you resume this with flashget, unlike firefox, it will not remove the ".part" from "a.exe.part" so your computer wont know how to open the file. You have to manually remove the ".part" to make it "a.exe" again so your computer knows how to open it. Chances are once you remove the ".part" from "a.exe.part" the ".exe" will disappear also. But dont worry, you dont have to add the .exe, chances are you just have the "hide known file extensions" option checked in alt > tools > "view" tab > hide known file extensions. If you cant see the .part, or are confused about what i just said, uncheck the "hide known file extensions" option to see the entire file name and make things clearer. You can enable it again once you are finished.
Old 10-01-2010   #22

THANK YOU AndrewB12
your just save my 1gb file!

mike50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010   #23

Hah - whoever suggested to copy the file, then cancel, then restart, then replace the file with copied file is a genius. It's a little risky, admittedly, but I can't believe I hadn't thought of that!

Haha - worked perfectly! Thanks haha.
RemsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010   #24

You sir, just saved my download. Thanks loads AndrewB12.
Lunar_Wolfspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010   #25

I'll join the one time posters previous to me and say thank you andrew you saved a 900 mb file i did not wish to download again due to slow connection speed. i'll just say do not forget to rename the completed downloaded .part file and delete the ".part" from it that is all
thanks_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote