Old 01-01-2009   #1
New on Forum

Stored DV Tapes pixelated

Firstly Happy New Year.

I am a little distressed because I have just discovered all the DV Tapes (family memories) that I have stored in the entertainment unit seem to have been damaged.
When all the tapes are played back through my camcorder there is digital damage to the image and loss of consistent audio.

The only tape that seems to have escaped damage is the one that was inside the camcorder.

Both the stored tapes and the camera live in the same place and very close to each other.

Not sure how they have become damaged and it must have happened recently. If the damage was magnetic fields what is the the chance that all stored tapes have been damaged at the same time with the same level of problem?
eaglebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Stored DV Tapes pixelated

Could just be dirty tape heads in the camcorder- are all the tapes the same brand?
~Jethro~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #3
New on Forum

Jethro,

Thanks for the reply..

Most of the tapes are Panasonic.

Thought about the dirty heads in the camcorder but I can't explain why the one tape still in the camera plays back fine. I will buy a new head cleaning tape and run through anyway.

Cheers
Derek
Old 01-01-2009   #4
Senior Moderator & Editor

If you have stored the tapes near a CRT TV then the magnetic fields produced by the set may have had an effect over time. Similarly, storing them near a loudspeaker can also do damage. The tape in the camcorder may have been shielded by the mechanism.

However it does take quite a long time to accumulate; have you had these stored for several years?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #5
New on Forum

Most of the tapes have been stored for several years +, however there are tapes that are only 12 months old.
All tapes when played back through the camera seem to have the same problem. When viewing the tapes there is vertical banding with blocks of damaged pixels.
Old 02-01-2009   #6
New on Forum

DV Tapes with vertical banding when reviewing

Good Morning Guru's,

I am trying to sort out problems I am having when I review "ALL" of my pre-recorded DV tapes. The images have vertical banding (pixelation in bands)

There is a degree of weirdness about this case that I am hoping more brilliant minds than mine can solve. Firstly some of the facts;

15 X pre recorded tapes of various ages (1 - 13 years) all with the same problem and level of banding when reviewing. When I overtape on one of the old tapes the new footage was fine. Gets to the old footage and back comes the banding.

1 x tape that was still in the camera has no problem with review or record.

I have tried head cleaning but doesn't fix the problem.

I am hoping this is a problem with the camera and not my tapes with treasured family memories. Searching the net reveals some problems when cameras heads get out of alignment.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by eaglebrad; 02-01-2009 at 09:31. Reason: Add attachment
Old 02-01-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

Re: DV Tapes with vertical banding when reviewing

Try them in a friends camcorder.
Old 02-01-2009   #8
New on Forum

Thanks for the reply;

Gut feel do you think it is the tapes or the camera?

Going to run the tape through a friends camera. Fingers crossed..
Old 02-01-2009   #9
MyCE Resident

Camera- looks like crud on the friction wheels, or out of alignment on the playback head.
Old 02-01-2009   #10

(two threads merged - please don't create new ones about the same problem)
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-01-2009   #11
New on Forum

No problems.

Thanks for the help. Ran my old tapes through a friends camcorder and thankfully they are all fine.

Looks like my camera has had a knock recently and the head/s are out of alignment.

Now that I have calmed down I can make the decision to get the old girl fixed or upgrade. Even though the camera is going to cost me $$ its a relief to not have lost the footage.
Old 02-01-2009   #12

That's excellent news, eaglebrad. That picture was very helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Sorry about the cost of repair but at least your tapes are safe.

Would you consider some form of back-up to ensure the footage isn't lost in future? Maybe a digital copy to a hard disk? Reliable one-terabyte hard disks are relatively cheap now.

Old 03-01-2009   #13
New on Forum

Firstly I am getting my tapes copied to DVD.

Once I have confirmed that I can edit the footage from DVD I am going to copy the edited footage to external hard drive and as many other media that I can so that I am not faced with relying on either my camera or tape.

My experience has inspired my friend to copy/convert his tapes to another media also.

Thanks again for the support. I guess the thread can be closed now.