Old 16-08-2005   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member

Standby mode while downloading?

Hey,

I dont know anything about this so bare with me, I am using emule to download stuff some would take a longer time then others, I have set my computer to standby mode in 20min. so when i go to sleep it wall stand by. Now heres the question, while standing by, my psp software is on and running but is it also donloading or not and is there lags to it?

best regards,

babychar2002
babychar2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005   #2
New on Forum

Re: Standby mode while downloading?

Hard to say without more specifics on your hardware (cetain ports can trigger activity and it depends on how you have them set up), but it should be pretty easy to tell if it is downloading or not. Check the amount downloaded when you go to sleep and then check again when you wake up. If the amount has increased it is working, if not, it stalls out when you are on standby.

Note that when a port triggers activity your comp comes out of standby mode. Logic says if it goes into standby and stays there it is probably not downloading, but logic doesn't always work well with computers.
Lonestar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005   #3
CD Freaks Elite

I have to agree with Lonestar1 on a point. If it goes into standby it is probably not downloading at all. I have Always disabled standby because it causes problems (can cause ongoing things to crash because it forces them to stop). If it detects the downloading as activity it of course won't go into standby but I doubt that it will. It usally takes user activity to prevent standby. I would just disable it if you are planning on downloading.
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

Ok, I got about 3.6gb to download yesterday night and today at 7 i woke up and check on it and found out that it has downloaded 3gb already. So duing stand by its downloading? if so is the speed a bit laggier?
Old 17-08-2005   #5
New on Forum

You have a great connection if you're getting 3 gig in 8 hours or so. But since you are trying to find the difference it makes on your machine, the only way to really tell is to turn off stand-by and run the test again. That way you can tell if your speed has increased or decreased by the size of your download. This is only a simple test. There are tools to measure your upload/download speed that I've used in the past, but I can't remember their names right now.

Having said that, I doubt that your computer is actually going in stand-by mode if it is downloading over night.
Old 17-08-2005   #6
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1
Having said that, I doubt that your computer is actually going in stand-by mode if it is downloading over night.
Yesterday, when I woke up at about 7 o’clock, my computer was in stand by mode but today it was not in stand by mode. Either way I was successfully downloaded over ~3g+ for today and 3g yesterday. Any thoughts of what is happening?

best regards,

babychar2002
Old 18-08-2005   #7
New on Forum

I would assume your network card is set (in your BIOS) to "wake up" your computer when there is activity on it. So when you set you computer to go on "standby" the network activity actually prevents it from going into "standby" mode.
Old 18-08-2005   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1
I would assume your network card is set (in your BIOS) to "wake up" your computer when there is activity on it. So when you set you computer to go on "standby" the network activity actually prevents it from going into "standby" mode.
O, I see. One more question is that will the download speed be faster if it is in bits and peace of a whole. I am asking this question because i am downloading a family picnic video and i wanta know which would download faster so i can ask my cousin to either put it in a(n) iso image or a few mpegs.
Old 18-08-2005   #9
CDFreaks Resident

It probably doesnt matter much because you are getting it from one source and you will be maxing out at yours or their speed which ever is slower. Where as the way torrent and similar p2p programs work you are downloading from several sources and can reach much faster speeds because you are not relying on just one source. But I am sure you dont want family video's all over the net .

Something else you can try is to turn off hibernation and screen saver and when you are going to bed hold down the windows key and hit "L". This will log you the user off the computer but leave it downloading as you were before but being logged of you shouldnt be using as many resources.

" Before you turn any screw, or loosen any bolt, check the nut behind the keyboard"

rfjr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005   #10
New on Forum

The only thing I would add regarding your file transfer is that file size affects your transfer time. You will be able to download a small file faster than a big one. To make your files smaller you should consider 2 things:

1. File format. Some formats can compress your video to 1/10 of the original size. You will lose some video quality, but the reduced time to download the file may be worth it. Look at Windows WMA format for reasonable quality and small file size. Of course, if you have MPG files you will need to convert them to whatever different format you choose.

2. Compress your files with a compression utility like WinRar or 7-Zip. These utilities can make a big difference in the size of video files, but the end user will have to run a similar utility to decompress them before they can be viewed. XP has a compression utility built in. However, if you choose a video format that is highly compressed in the first place (see #1 above) these utilities will have little value because all the slack space has already been eliminated.

Hope this helps.
Old 18-08-2005   #11
CD Freaks Senior Member

Thankz for the info, it really helped me out alot