Old 26-05-2009   #1
New on Forum

Region Code Bypass

I have just got a new Laptop , Sony Viao, VGN-NS20E, running Vista Home Premium (32 bit). It came fitted with a Matshita DVD-Ram, UJ88AS. I bought this in the Uk, but live overseas and hence come across quite a few Region Codes on pre recorded DVDs.
I don't copy many DVDs, but like to watch them on the laptop.

On my previous machine with XP and a Toshiba DVD I loaded DVD43 and got around most Region Code blocks. So I went ahead and loaded it on the new Sony.

When I do slip in a region incompatible DVD, DVD43 tries to handle it, but I get a message that the Region Code is Incompatible, and that the'Device refuses to read encryption data' and the disc is ejected.

DVD43 Help does mention
DVDs which do not match the region of the drive. This method takes more time, up to 1 minute (decryption keys may need to be brute-forced), can fail (if the title set is too small) and is hardware dependent (some drives will refuse to read). If you have a choice, always insert a video DVD into a device with a compatible region.

This appears to be mainly a hardware issue, my drive refusing to read keys, and even if I bought some other software (AnyDVD etc) I am concerned I will still have the same block.

Any ideas other than buy another external (USB) DVD player?

Thanks in advance.
FJacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Region Code Bypass

Hi and Welcome!

unfortunately, Matshita/Panasonic drives are known fro a very rigid region protection mechanism, which is near to impossible to override.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009   #3
MyCE Resident

Buy an external, eg LG or Liteon.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009   #4
New on Forum

Thanks for responses and the welcome.
You guys may have saved me considerable effort, searching fruitlessly for a solution.
Old 26-05-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

I also had a Vaio...used AnyDvd and had no problems with region codes...
I think you can get a Trial Period with AnyDvd...check that out. If it solves the problem go ahead and buy it.

On the other hand, the suggestion to buy an external drive makes sense...it´s about the same price and you can easily get something of better quality than your lappy has.
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009   #6
New on Forum

I think someone has already stated that AnyDVD doesn't support the Matshita DVD-Ram drives.
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=30559
Old 26-05-2009   #7
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJacko View Post
I think someone has already stated that AnyDVD doesn't support the Matshita DVD-Ram drives.
Yes Matshita drives are region locked and it is hard to by pass that. The suggestion to buy an external dvd drive is good advice and then DVD43 will work for just watching on computer. But if you want to copy Anydvd will be the better choice to have
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJacko View Post
Perhaps...but it happens that my Vaio had a Matshitty drive, and with AnyDvd I was able to play and copy DVDs from any region
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
Old 26-05-2009   #9
MyCE Resident

I agree I would at least try AnyDVD since it has a free trial.
I don't know if this will work but give this a try.
Open the disc with DVDShrink then preview it with full screen selected.
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009   #10
New on Forum

I humoured the suggestions and loaded AnyDVD.
It couldn't handle the Other Region DVDs.......
It reported
Your drive is a region locked RPC2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and you try to read a DVD from a different region.
Known drives having this problem are Ricoh/Philips DVD Writers and Matshita/Panasonic DVD readers and writers.
You can try to find a RPC1 patched firmware at http://www.rpc1.com.

Strange to go to such effort on a device that is designed to be portable and go to different RPC zones!
Old 27-05-2009   #11
MyCE Resident

That´s interesting...but in your case a clear answer...sadly.

As for Region Codes...we all know that it´s just a pointless, money-grabbing scheme cooked up by the movie industry anyway.

Thinking caps back on here...
Old 27-05-2009   #12
MyCE Resident

Did you start AnyDVD before inserting the DVD ?
If not try that.
If that doesn't work try this;
Right click on the AnyDVD icon in the system tray & select Rip Video DVD to Hard disk.
I'm not sure that will work but worth a try.
If it does the rip at least you could watch the movie from your computer.Also you could probably burn a region free copy from the rip.

Of course I don't know if a different region disk could have already altered your registry.
Something similar happened to me recently with a CD .It wasn't a different region but I was making a BU copy & didn't have AnyDVD started.All of the sudden my right click didn't work on any .exe file.
I found a "context menu handler" had been added.It took me about two days to find the cause & fix.
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009   #13
New on Forum

My trial version of ANYDVD gives me warnings about 'Losing Settings when program exits' It also gives me a 'Drive Not Ready' ....... so can't rip the DVD.

Options seem to be....
Reprogram DVD drive to be RPC1 or
Buy an external Drive that is less obtuse, and software to bypass RPC.
Old 28-05-2009   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimator View Post
Perhaps...but it happens that my Vaio had a Matshitty drive, and with AnyDvd I was able to play and copy DVDs from any region
Dean,
you probably have/had a UJDA combo drive, they partly can be dealt with by AnyDVD, all others not.
Also, some of them could be cheated by DVD43 & regionkiller.....

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote