Old 01-02-2009   #1
New on Forum

RAR files to PDF or word??

Hi,

I have a really good text book that is in RAR format. I was wondering is there any way I can convert it to pdf or word? I want to print out a few chapters out of the book and I am unable to do it in its rar format?

Also is there any way to print a rar file?

Thanks guys..
Nrai2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: RAR files to PDF or word??

Double post, sorry.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #3
MyCE Resident

You need to extract the files with something like 7zip and depending on the format they're in now, you could use something like CutePdf,
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp, and create a PDF file with any document writing application, like MS word or the freeware Abiword. But if they're already in a standard .doc or .txt format now you don't need to convert it to PDF.
Old 01-02-2009   #4
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whappo View Post
You need to extract the files with something like 7zip and depending on the format they're in now, you could use something like CutePdf,
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp, and create a PDF file with any document writing application, like MS word or the freeware Abiword. But if they're already in a standard .doc or .txt format now you don't need to convert it to PDF.
The book is currently in rar form...will cutepdf beable to convert it to pdf?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am not supery savy with a lot of tech topics..)

Thanks
Old 01-02-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

First try extracting the rar file with 7-zip, http://www.7-zip.org/, and see what the extension the files in the rar file have.
Old 01-02-2009   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
First try extracting the rar file with 7-zip, http://www.7-zip.org/, and see what the extension the files in the rar file have.
I have installed 7-zip, what do I do know? I am compressing it now? Is taht what I am suppose to do?

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-02-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

A rar file is already compressed. What you want to do is "extract" the files from the rar archive, in other words, you want to uncompress them.
Old 01-02-2009   #8
New on Forum

Quote:
A rar files is already compressed. What you want to do is "extract" the files from the rar archive, in other words, you want to uncompress them.
O ok,

I extracted the files yesterday with winRAR .... I ve been trying since yesterday to fingure out ways to print the file. Can I use cutepdf or 7-zip to convert the rar file to a printable format?

Thanks Whappo, sorry for the stupid questions.
Old 01-02-2009   #9
MyCE Resident

O.K., if you already have the file/s extracted, what extension do they have, .doc, .txt, etc? Something like File01.txt, File02.txt, or whatever the extension might be.
Old 02-02-2009   #10
CD Freaks Expert

If you extracted the files that were in the RAR, then you should not worry about the RAR file any longer. Now you have what was in the RAR. It should not still be a RAR file that needs to be converted.

We need to know what type of files were inside the RAR file. With the correct program you can open them, and then print them to a PDF. The CutePDF acts like a printer that prints on paper but instead converts to a PDF file for you.

RM
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #11
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan View Post
If you extracted the files that were in the RAR, then you should not worry about the RAR file any longer. Now you have what was in the RAR. It should not still be a RAR file that needs to be converted.

We need to know what type of files were inside the RAR file. With the correct program you can open them, and then print them to a PDF. The CutePDF acts like a printer that prints on paper but instead converts to a PDF file for you.

RM

Hmmm..

Well I have two text books that I am trying to print a couple of the chapters out of..

One of the books comes up in html format?

The other book I dont know what it comes up as but it has a table of contents and you can click the table of contents and it takes u to that particular chapter..

Sorry if this is vague, I really do appreciate your help!!
Old 02-02-2009   #12
MyCE Resident

Well, maybe you don't have to convert anything. The book that is html format opens in a browser window, yes? Are you using Internet Explorer? You should be able to just print a range of pages if what you want is a printed hard copy.
How did you open the other book, what program did you use? Is there anything at the top of your screen like File, Edit, View, etc? When you are viewing a chapter and you right click your mouse do you see any options?
Old 03-02-2009   #13
New on Forum

Have you tried printing from the current format it comes up as? If so what is it printing like and if not, is it giving you any errors?
disc2day is offline   Reply With Quote