Old 12-03-2009   #1
MyCE Junior Member

Please recommend good free software for Drivers and Registry repair.

Many Driver Update & Registry Repair software companies advertise free use.

After downloading the software ( some require your details ) run the scan, they claim to have located errors - then say if you want to fix, buy.
Its NOT FREE - False advertising !

Driver Updater - Downloader
Registry Repairer - Cleaner

Have read complaints that some alter/remove necessary items.
Could members recommend free, effective software that not only scans free but carries out the repair or supplies new updated drivers free.
parpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: Please recommend good free software for Drivers and Registry repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parpi View Post
Many Driver Update & Registry Repair software companies advertise free use.

After downloading the software ( some require your details ) run the scan, they claim to have located errors - then say if you want to fix, buy.
Its NOT FREE - False advertising !

Driver Updater - Downloader
Registry Repairer - Cleaner

Have read complaints that some alter/remove necessary items.
Could members recommend free, effective software that not only scans free but carries out the repair or supplies new updated drivers free.
CCleaner is a good registry cleaner which is free
as far as driver updaters I do that on my own
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #3
MyCE Resident

Hey Parpi, I hope all is well with you. I think CCleaner is a pretty good program to have and like Stormjumper I do my own driver updates. Another program you might want to take a look at is Glary Utilities, http://www.glaryutilities.com/, it has a registry cleaner along with several other useful utilities, I use the pro version, but the free option has just about all the same functions.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Could members recommend free, effective software that not only scans free but carries out the repair
What repair? Are you having problems?
MysticEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #5
Senior Moderator

Hi,

"registry cleaners" often cause more issues than they fix (if they fix anything at all).
For drivers, just check the hardware manufacturer's support website once a month or so. Absolutely no need for "driver checka" tools.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009   #6
MyCE Junior Member

Hi Guys,

Appreciate quick response. CCleaner was recommended via CDFreaks some time ago and I use it. Appears effective and light but it and others are mentioned in net chatter as possible cause of some usable files disappearing. Many hold same view as Mciahel.

I have experienced some problems including loss of a file for my printer and downloader for Utube ( now fixed ) per advice from CDF members.

Hi Whappo ! once again you ride to the rescue. You've been very helpful to me in the past - if you can cook, let's go steady.

Per your recommendation I downloaded Glary Utilities ( never heard of it before ). Again, it's light, fast, comprehensive,simple and free.
A great combination ! Under various categories it claimed to have located -

Registry Cleaner 477 problems
Start Up Manager 1 problem
Temp Files 24.61 mb found

Thanks to ya 'all
Old 13-03-2009   #7
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind

Yo parpi-

I and a whole lot of fellow cdfreaks use CCleaner - and have for years.

I have used CCleaner on four computers for at least three years and have NEVER had a problem - and it is used on all four machines at least once daily and on my work computer many times a day (especially after doing any banking or credit card activities)-eh!!

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009   #8

heres a few good freebies

ccleaner is good on the junk files but a bit light on reg cleaning

hard to find but very good reg cleaner
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...er/963771680/1
(dont be temped to update, new version is not free)

enterprise quality protection suite www.comodo.com
fully configable options , loging, user profles, network profiles etc . dont install yahoo toolbar and savesurf, use firefox and noscript+adblock instead. the other good point about this is if you make a bad rule or accidently lock yourself out of the os is that you can edit the ruleset in safemode. most others i ahve come across wont let you do this and you,ll have to reinstall your os.

http://cdburnerxp.se/ now with added hd and blue ray support.
suicide eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009   #9
MyCE Junior Member

Hi Bigmike 7. I think CCleaner is good. Some experts think it is unwise to rely on one brand of software ( especially freebies ) because each is at a certain level of current security which is probably outdated by multiplying new viruses, trojens etc. Its suggested best to run a few different brands on a turn around basis.

Not blaming CCleaner for my problems. It could have been other software.
Or ( based on my level of tech expertise ) it could have been a black crow flying over my house.

Hi Suicide Eddie. Thanks for suggestion, will look into it and read up.
If you're thinking of jumping let the bankers go first - you too valuable to lose.
Old 16-03-2009   #10
New on Forum

I have used both CCLeaner and Iobit Advanced System Care and I found that the latter one is much better at detecting registry errors
influx.destruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009   #11
MyCE Resident

I've yet to see one post that actually addresses the topic:

Quote:
Please recommend good free software for Drivers and Registry repair.
Repair would suggestion something is broken and has to be fixed. These cleaners do nothing of the sort. Removing some errant registry fragments is not repairing, nor are they 'problems'. Sweeping out the trunk of my car doesn't make it run any better.
Old 17-03-2009   #12
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticEyes View Post
I've yet to see one post that actually addresses the topic:

Repair would suggestion something is broken and has to be fixed. These cleaners do nothing of the sort. Removing some errant registry fragments is not repairing, nor are they 'problems'. Sweeping out the trunk of my car doesn't make it run any better.
Hi MysticEyes. I refer to ads at top of Forum page
'Which Registry Cleaner', 'Registry Cleaner Download', 'XP Reg Repair Tool' ' 'Error: You have outdated drivers. Check here to scan for updates free'.

Not criticising CDF for having ads, it needs income to run the site.Similar ads for a variety of software appear on many sites. All infer necessity for using the software. If it had no purpose why design and market it ?

Suspect tech dummies ( includes me) with old computers, small HD/disc space or intermittent faults hope to resolve same by using such software.
Old 17-03-2009   #13
MyCE Resident

What no one mentioned Advance System Care Free?

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Sy...html?tag=mncol

It has a drivers update utility even now.
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009   #14
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If it had no purpose why design and market it ?
Just to make money.
Quote:
Suspect tech dummies ( includes me) with old computers, small HD/disc space or intermittent faults hope to resolve same by using such software.
Old computers should do fine with Windows built-in drivers, normally. The other option is to get latest drivers from the component manufacturers. This may be difficult at the beginning, but it's part of the learning curve then

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009   #15
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks to members who have participated in this thread.

I think CCleaner is very good as a small file to quickly clean up every day or two. However, if you have an old computer may which have slowed for a variety of reasons, perhaps a few mal files or redundant software has accumulated. In that case a thorough clean up could be beneficial.

Members recommended a program called Iobit Advanced Care System or Glary Utilities. It offers a range of checks and applications . I've taken the advice, ran it through two 5 y.o computers and 4 y.o. lap top.

Lap Top. Spyware: 29 problems, Registry fix: 516 prob, Privacy : 69 prob, Junk Files: 152 MB. System Optimization: 81 prob, Security: 6,350 prob.

Computer A. Spyware: 1 prob, Registry fix: 139 prob, Privacy : 5 prob, Junk Files : 35 MB. System Optimization : 80 prob, Security: 3,950 prob.

Computer B. Spyware: 0 prob, Registry Fix: 97, Privacy: 6 prob, Junk Files: 455KB, System Optimization: 30 prob, Security : 951 prob.

Program has many other ie defrag, updates etc. It initiates a return point if things go wrong.

A few old problems remain but so far, I haven't found any necessary files were removed. All computers appear to be running marginally faster with a little extra memory added.

Thanks to members help and suggest this free program has more positives than negatives. Especially for the less technically savvy such as myself.
Old 20-03-2009   #16
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Yo-

I use Advanced System Care and Smart Defrag daily - but - if you run Advanced System Care and then run cCleaner it will fins a bunch of stuff that Advanced System Care didn't-

So my shutdown proceedure is cCleaner --> Advanced System Care --> Smart Defrag and all four of my computers run fast and great-eh!!

(have also found that the memory manager in Advanced System Care is a good way to speed up applications too)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
Old 21-03-2009   #17
MyCE Junior Member

Hi Bigmike7.
You mentioned 'memory manager' in Advanced System Care.
Is it in the free version or the paid pro version ?

I can find - Reg fix in Maintain Windows. Firefox TCP Optimizer, Disc Check, Disc Clean, Smart Defrag, Iobit Reg Defrag, Smart Ram in 'Utilities Tune Up'.
Can't find 'memory manager' in free version.

I note this thread has drawn 280 views ( more than many ) suggesting quite a few may have an interest in subject. Hope others gain some benefit from discussion.
Old 21-03-2009   #18
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Quote:
Hi Bigmike7.
You mentioned 'memory manager' in Advanced System Care.
Is it in the free version or the paid pro version..........
Yo parpi-

In the free version it is called Smart RAM and can be found in 'Utilities' --> 'Tune Up'--> 'Smart RAM' -eh!!

Old 21-03-2009   #19
MyCE Resident

Quote:
.... I note this thread has drawn 280 views ( more than many ) suggesting quite a few may have an interest in subject. Hope others gain some benefit from discussion.
Kinda like watching a train wreck.