Old 07-01-2009   #1
New on Forum

Please help: Need to recover photos from 'blank' cd-r

hi,

i recently went travelling to south america. before leaving i burnt all my photos in an internet cafe to a princo 56x cd-r. i tried the cd-r out in many internet cafes afterwards and it seemed to work fine. since i came back home, however, every time i insert the disc it says 'blank cd'

i know for a fact they are on there somewhere and really need to recover them. does anyone have any ideas?

i have already tried many programs such as isobuster, bad copy pro etc. the only program which detects something is power cd dvd recovery, but the data appears as a 800mb audio file and not as images as they were before.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Babs454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #2
New on Forum

Re: Please help: Need to recover photos from 'blank' cd-r

Hello,

Please forgive me if this reply comes under the title of 'Stating the obvious' but have you thought of trying the disk in a local Internet Cafe - they may all be using a particular brand of software. If it does open up you can then find out what software is needed to read it and then do a search for that.

Just a thought...
KCBrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #3
New on Forum

unfortunately im back in the uk now so that isnt a possibility
Old 07-01-2009   #4
New on Forum

is there a program that you can use to detect what software was used to burn the cd-r?
Old 07-01-2009   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

This sounds familiar.

Are you sure the disc isn't blank? It's also possible the disc was burned with a bad burner and the data is irretrievable.

You can try a program such as IsoBuster and see if it can retrieve any of the data. But it's doubtful.

No. There isn't a program that will tell you how a disc was burned, especially not for a disc that doesn't appear to be readable.
Old 08-01-2009   #6
New on Forum

it's frustrating as i tried the CD afterwards in different internet cafes and it worked fine. when it appeared blank when i got back to the uk i scanned it with bad copy pro and it discover over 1000mb of data on the cd, so something must be there but there is no way to retrieve it

isobuster didnt even recognised the disc
Old 08-01-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

First are you sure it is the same disk could someone have switched it on you or could you have mixed it up with another disk. Second have your tried the disk in another computer? Can you copy the data that shows on the disk to a hard drive with one of the programs?

I am assuming you burnt these pictures to disk in South America and you are now trying to see them on a computer here.

What I do not know is this

Have you insert the disk in the drive and went to windows explorer and tried to click on it. If you did what did you get? Second did you try in windows explorer right clicking on the disk and going to properties to see what the disk says if show what is it showing?

Last edited by samlar; 08-01-2009 at 12:34.
samlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #8
New on Forum

i'm certain its the same disc, i havent taken it out of the case apart from trying it in my laptop / internet cafes in SA. i've tried it in about 5 different laptops but to no avail.

when i click on it in windows explorer it just shows a blank page and when i go into properties i says there is 702mb spare. i dont understand how the files could of been wiped as its a cd-r a no one has been in contact with the disc apart from me!
Old 08-01-2009   #9
CD Freaks Senior Member

Use a program such as DVDInfo PRO ( http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ ) or Nero CD Speed ( http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ ). Run the program, insert the disc, and check the disc information (specifically the disc type). You can also use it to verify the data on the disc.

This can only be one of two things: 1) it is a CD-RW disc and it has been erased 2) it is a CD-R disc, but it has been damaged and is no longer readable.