Old 04-01-2007   #1
MyCE Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 436
pc2 vs pc memory?

is there a difference between pc2 3200 and pc3200 memory?? im looking to upgrade my dell dimension 4700 computer at work.. thanks
__________________
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Crucial M4 128GB SATA
WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB
uronmy49311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #2
MyCE Resident
 
Bjproc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,965
Re: pc2 vs pc memory?

have you tried to scan your PC from the crucial site to see what they some up with

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/
__________________


Bj




click HERE to join cdfreaks
Bjproc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #3
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The frigid West of Chicagoland
Posts: 916
Re: pc2 vs pc memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uronmy49311
is there a difference between pc2 3200 and pc3200 memory?? im looking to upgrade my dell dimension 4700 computer at work.. thanks
You will have to use PC2 memory for that system since that Dell system uses DDR2 memory. You see, PC2-3200 memory is DDR2 (240-pin) memory, while PC3200 memory is DDR1 (184-pin) memory (and DDR2 and DDR1 memory are not compatible at all with motherboards/systems that use the other, since the modules will not even physically fit the slots). In addition, I would go with PC2-4200 rather than PC2-3200 memory.
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #4
CD Freaks Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,912
Re: pc2 vs pc memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL65
You will have to use PC2 memory for that system since that Dell system uses DDR2 memory. You see, PC2-3200 memory is DDR2 (240-pin) memory, while PC3200 memory is DDR1 (184-pin) memory (and DDR2 and DDR1 memory are not compatible at all with motherboards/systems that use the other, since the modules will not even physically fit the slots). In addition, I would go with PC2-4200 rather than PC2-3200 memory.
I would find out what the fastest speed your motherboard supports and maybe go even faster than pc2-4200 if it supports it (and you can find a decent price on some).
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #5
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The frigid West of Chicagoland
Posts: 916
Re: pc2 vs pc memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripit
I would find out what the fastest speed your motherboard supports and maybe go even faster than pc2-4200 if it supports it (and you can find a decent price on some).
Actually, that Dell supports only up to PC2-4200 memory. That system is an early DDR2-based system which cannot run memory any faster than DDR2-533 speed.
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1GB (1 x 1GB) DDR2-667/PC2-5300 Desktop Memory $22 After $40 Rebate budzos Bargain Basement 0 15-06-2007 16:15
What DO you think Corsair ValueSelect 1GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300 ? nathansceller General Hardware Forum 9 21-02-2007 17:38
need help with pc memory Ade007 General Hardware Forum 5 02-07-2006 04:27
PC 133 SDRAM Memory burnselk General Hardware Forum 20 15-04-2006 02:55
Quick Pc, Low Memory Whilst Burning! Why? burtlancaster CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers 1 14-02-2005 17:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:29.
Top