Old 08-08-2009   #1
New on Forum

No Sound from Burned DVD Disc

Hi, I'm using XP and made a movie, along with music on WMM, saved as AVI and proceeded to burn to a dvd using Nero 7. All is well when I play back on my computer, however when I play disk in my standalone DVD player connected to my TV, the movie is great, but no sound. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

patay

Last edited by Kerry56; 09-08-2009 at 02:35. Reason: removed email address
patay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #2
Administrator

Re: No Sound from Burned DVD Disc

What type of audio did you use in the dvd? And what format are you using....PAL or NTSC...for the dvd? NTSC is used in the US, and a few other areas, PAL is the standard for most of the rest of the world.

NTSC players often times have support for MP2 audio, but it is not required by NTSC standards. PAL dvds can use MP2.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #3
New on Forum

Greetings and thank you for your response,

The format is NTSE and the music was a Itunes download, saved to a disc, allowing me to save to Windows Media Player. My standalone DVD is not subject to region codes, so any DVD audio disc will play on th unit. The disc will play on my computers, both movie and music. I've tested other burned family movies (made by others) and theirs work fine in my DVD player. The first time I burned and saved movie to a DVD-R 1-16x 4.7 GB, disc which resulted in no movie or music on standalone DVD. I tried again using a Memorex CD-RW disc, 1x-4x, and I got the movie, but no sound. However, the other home movies I tested are stored on DVD -R 2x, 4.7 with excellent results. You asked what type audio in my DVD and I'm not sure how to determine that specifically. Hope this information helps. Please don't give up on me.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2009   #4
Administrator

If you have the movie stored on the hard drive, examine it with a free tool called MediaInfo. There are several "views" in MediaInfo, try the Tree view and tell us what it says about the audio codec used in the dvd.

There are two ways to use MediaInfo, you either start the program and look for a folder, then go to the Video_TS folder of your dvd, or you can just right click on the Video_TS folder and you should have an option to open with MediaInfo (once you've installed the program).

MediaInfo can be found here: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

You can also examine the burned dvd in a drive on the computer with this program if you like.
Old 09-08-2009   #5
New on Forum

I downloaded MediaInfo as suggested. The Audio codec is 161, Windows Media Audio 2, format profile L1.
Old 09-08-2009   #6
Administrator

When you burned to a dvd using Nero, I thought you were converting to dvd-video format using Nero Vision. NTSC dvd-video format should only use AC3, LPCM or DTS audio, encoded at 48khz. Apparently you were just burning as data to a dvd, using the output from WMM saved as an avi file. Many modern dvd players can play avi files of various types, but this doesn't make them dvd-video. It is avi burned to a blank dvd disk. So, that explains my confusion anyway.

It seems your stand alone player does not have support for .wma audio in avi files. You can convert it to mp3 audio using AviDemux. Open the avi file in AviDemux. Leave the video on Copy. Change Audio to MP3(lame). Click on File, then Save....change the name for this new copy and give it an .avi extension.

AviDemux is free to use: http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/
Old 12-08-2009   #7
New on Forum

Many thanks for your help.