Old 26-12-2008   #1
New on Forum

My WD hard drive won't load anything (Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 250GB External Hard Drive)

Hi, I have had my (WD2500U017-005) hd for about 2 years now and I have a lot of data that I do not want to lose on this drive. I just got another WD 7500H1U-00 hard drive for Xmas. I wanted to put all of my info onto the new drive and store it in case anything were to happen, I would have a back up. However when I plugged the new drive up, my old drive won't show up. The new drive is visible and I can access it. The old drive acts like it is loading up ( I see the blue light come on, and I can feel it running) I also hear my computer beep like it does when you plug in a new device and the little icon comes up to safely remove the drive, but it doesn't show up in my computer. I even tried to unplug the new drive and plug in the old one, but that doesn't work either. I tried putting the old drive on 2 different computers, but that doesn't work either! Is there any way to open my files and get them off of the old drive?? Thank you for your help. Josh
Soulblazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008   #2
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: My WD hard drive won't load anything

Welcome to the forums!

With our PC powered off, connect the drive, power it on, and then power up the PC. After the PC boots, go into Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.....is your drive listed there?
Old 28-12-2008   #3
New on Forum

Yes, my drive is there. How do I open the drive though? I know that it is loading up, but I cannot access the information on the drive. Nor can I see it in my computer...

It says disk 1
232.88 GB unallocated

how do I get my information off of the drive?
Soulblazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

The unallocated description indicates that Windows thinks the drive is empty.

You can try a software recovery program. A google search will turn up several pages of applications. Most are not free, but will let you download, install, and test them before purchase.