Old 23-02-2006   #1
New on Forum

iso too large for dvd+r, what to do

i don't know exactly what section to put this in, so bear with me.

i'm trying to make copies of my shop's alldata dvds so they can be used by more than one tech at a time. each tech has a cheap dell laptop with a 4 gig hard drive, so i can't store the iso images on the hard drives and use alcohol.

problem is, i made iso images of the dvds and several are too large for a 4.7 gb dvd. is there any way i can make the iso image fit on a dvd+r and stil have alldata read it correctly?

i've considered using something like winrar to shring the images. but then i didn't know if alldata would read the dvds properly being that they would be in .rar archives
onekcreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #2
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Re: iso too large for dvd+r, what to do

You can open the ISO file with WinRAR and then extract all files on your HD. Finally you can burn all data on 2 separate discs.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #3
CD Freaks Fartman

iso images are generally bigger than the size of cd/dvd. why? because they hold data about the disc's structure as well. if you made the iso from a 4.7gb dvd then it will fit on a 4.7gb dvd

Join Us! Here at cdfreaks
"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
[4:44pm] * @taHkroW dubs SK the best king of the world.
DO NOT message me asking about diablo 2 .mpq files you will not get a response.
slayerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #4
CDFreaks Resident

He never said they were single layer discs originally. If they're too big, the only solution may be to burn them to dual layer discs (Verbatim, please).
Old 23-02-2006   #5
DVD Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekcreations
i don't know exactly what section to put this in, so bear with me.

i'm trying to make copies of my shop's alldata dvds so they can be used by more than one tech at a time. each tech has a cheap dell laptop with a 4 gig hard drive, so i can't store the iso images on the hard drives and use alcohol...
...i've considered using something like winrar to shring the images. but then i didn't know if alldata would read the dvds properly being that they would be in .rar archives
Using WinRAR woun't solve your problem either. You'll still have to unrar the files to HDD that is far to small.

What OS and HDD file system are those laptops running on? With old FAT your ISO's bigger than that (2GB) woun't be seen by windoze anyway.

Suggestion; split to more discs with a max data size compatible with laptops file system or upgrade laptops HDD's and OS.
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #6
CDFreaks Resident

Depending on the data of the disc(s) and how close they are to fitting a SL DVD, it may be easy or impossible to make it fit. For example, it may be quite close to fitting and contain certain unnecessary files. Or if it contains easily compressible files such as audio or image files, they can be recompressed. But then I have no clue what the content of these discs are, nor do I know how far beyond the limits of SL discs they are.

Just how big are the oversized ISO images, and what sort of data files are contained within the discs?
scoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #7
CD Freaks Fartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehGrue
He never said they were single layer discs originally. If they're too big, the only solution may be to burn them to dual layer discs (Verbatim, please).
neither did I, I just used that as an example

Join Us! Here at cdfreaks
"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
[4:44pm] * @taHkroW dubs SK the best king of the world.
DO NOT message me asking about diablo 2 .mpq files you will not get a response.
slayerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

What burner(s) will be used and about how much oversize of DVD5 we speak here?

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #9
New on Forum

well one iso is about 6.77 gb. the other is about 7.3.

my dvd burner is a nec 1100A.

i think the easiest thing to do would be to split th image to two dvds. anyone know of a walkthrough for this? i'm very new to this, so doing this on my own could be messy.

as far as the laptops, they are running windows 98. i have no idea what old FAT is.

and upgrading the laptops just for this would be uneconomical for us at this point.
onekcreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #10
MyCE Resident

Too much for overburning DVD5...

Splitting the content? Depends on how the data is organized.
Other way would be to use DVD+R DL media here (but not with an NEC 1100).

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Old 23-02-2006   #11
bkf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_
Too much for overburning DVD5...

Splitting the content? Depends on how the data is organized.
Other way would be to use DVD+R DL media here (but not with an NEC 1100).

Hi Chef: If he made iso's that big wouldn't they have come off of a DL allready or pressed disc? They are some huge iso's. Ain't no way to put that much on a 4.7 disc
bkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006   #12
MyCE Resident

I've no idea what the source really is here, even that he mentioned the name...

Old 24-02-2006   #13
CDFreaks Resident

THere are products that say to do something like that, have a look here:

http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/features/split.html
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U.../PowerISO.html

I have no knowledge at all about them, and as per your first post it seems to split the ISO but you have no room to put it back together, ans that can be a problem.

I used to split data across floppies, but those are past days...
At present time Ghost creates images of partitions and split them by CD or DVDs, but the intention is to regroup everything when you restore the disk/partition.
The kind of notebook with 4GB HDD doesn't seem to support DL DVD, and if that's the case its not easy, unless you find a way to divide the information to use several DVDs with ISO or compression techniques... that may be risky and demanding in terms of hardware.
agomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007   #14
wcw
New on Forum

ALLDATA DVDs have a lot of duplicated data accross the DVDs. Explore the DVDs and you can easily see which data is duplicated. Then omit that data from the DVDs. You should be able to fit most "makes" this way.

A better solution would be to buy a desktop with a hard drive big enough to hold the data from all the ALLDATA DVDs. Copy the DVDs to the HDD and then network this machine with the laptops. Not only will this work faster, it also protects your DVDs.

Of course you also have to get around the "hasp" unless you're subscribing to ALLDATA with 4 users.
wcw is offline   Reply With Quote