Old 27-02-2009   #1
New on Forum

Installed a new (used) HD in Presario 700 laptop. Can't load XP.

Hi, all..Newbie here. Not a computer expert by any means although I have been using them since the 286 was the newest thing around. Could use a little help..
HD crashed on my Presario 700 laptop, toshiba MK2017GAP. I got another HD for free, a used 20 gig. Fujitsu MHR2020 AT. It had Linux on it but was wiped clean. I am trying to install XP home from my original OS disk.. When I turn on the computer with new HD is says no operating syystem. No surprise there. If I change the BIOS to CD rom and load my XP home OS disk it just sits there after checking hardware. It did go through set up a couple times but said there was no HD. If I change BOIS to HD, it lights up the HD light but sits there and tells me no operating system.. The first time I tried, I did get a set up recover option and it showed me the HD partitions. I did not change anything just exited. I Downloaded start up disks from MS and it goes through set up disks to a point where it gives me message unable to continue setup. Unable to load "setupreg.hiv" Error 4103. press any key to exit. I created a dos boot disk but it will only give me the A: drive and not take any commands beyond A:dir. The CD rom drive works, as far as i can tell so does the new HD. The computer will not recognize the HD so i can't seem to configure it or load operating system. Any ideas , I am about out of things to try. Thanks Don
donaldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Installed a new (used) HD in Presario 700 laptop. Can't load XP.

So, both the hard drive and the cd rom drive show up in the bios? Does your windows disk have any obvious scratches or smudges? Do you have any linux boot disks you can try? If you have access to a cd burner you can try Puppy, http://www.puppylinux.org/, it's about a 100mb download. The startup floppy disk images from are MS, are they the 7 floppy disks?
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009   #3
Senior Moderator

Hi,

if there had been a Linux OS installed previously, it might be a good idea to have Windows setup delete the existing partitions and create (+format) new partitions.
Additionally, running a HDD check utility and Memtest (both from Ultimate Boot CD) is another good idea.

Other problem sources: With newer hardware, it is recommended to use a XP install CD with integrated SP3. With Nlite you can create your own XP SP3 disc.
And if the HDD is Sata (I have not checked myself), then change Sata controller setting to "IDE" in Bios.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009   #4
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whappo View Post
So, both the hard drive and the cd rom drive show up in the bios? Does your windows disk have any obvious scratches or smudges? Do you have any linux boot disks you can try? If you have access to a cd burner you can try Puppy, http://www.puppylinux.org/, it's about a 100mb download. The startup floppy disk images from are MS, are they the 7 floppy disks?
Both the HD and CDrom show in BIOS along with A: and Network. I have my original OS disk, no scratches. I have MS XP startup, 6 floppies I downloaded from MS web site. I can download the Linux floppies using my desk top computer but i have never even used a computer with Linux. Not sure what to do after I load them if they do load? I will give it a try. Thanks
Old 27-02-2009   #5
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi,

if there had been a Linux OS installed previously, it might be a good idea to have Windows setup delete the existing partitions and create (+format) new partitions.
Additionally, running a HDD check utility and Memtest (both from Ultimate Boot CD) is another good idea.

Other problem sources: With newer hardware, it is recommended to use a XP install CD with integrated SP3. With Nlite you can create your own XP SP3 disc.
And if the HDD is Sata (I have not checked myself), then change Sata controller setting to "IDE" in Bios.

Michael
I can not get that far in the set up program anymore to delete existing partitions. Only saw it the very first time.

I do not see the HDD check either when i run to Boot disk. It fails to load with the following " Setupreg.hiv" error code 4103 before i get anything much to work with.

I will create an XP SP3 disk and try that.

I do not get any options in the BIOS on a 700 series to change Sata to IDE. Actually all you get it in the Pheonix setup utility is:

MAIN =,you can change system time, add supervisor password, enable Parallel port, Mode ECP/EPP, PXE enable, Base I/O Address 378, DMA channel DMA3.

BIOS=Move drives to top or bottom of list

Exit+= Exit and save changes options.

That is all you can do in the set up utility. Not very much..

Thanks..
Old 27-02-2009   #6
MyCE Resident

Try removing the battery and power jack, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then try your recovery(xp) disk.
~Jethro~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

You never said if you have access to a CD burner but if you do, download Gparted, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/, burn it to a CD then boot from the CD. You can delete whatever partitions you have on the drive now, create a new partition and format it using NTFS, then try to install XP.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
It fails to load with the following " Setupreg.hiv"
That could be something as simple as a bad disc (k) /corrupted file.
MysticEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #9
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldly View Post
Both the HD and CDrom show in BIOS along with A: and Network. I have my original OS disk, no scratches. I have MS XP startup, 6 floppies I downloaded from MS web site. I can download the Linux floppies using my desk top computer but i have never even used a computer with Linux. Not sure what to do after I load them if they do load? I will give it a try. Thanks
I finally got the HD to re partition. I deleted the old and re insatlled partition using XP OS disk. It still hangs up after the checking hardware part of the download. So I went to linux.

I burned a disk on my desk top for linux puppy. It boots the presario but fails with... Performing a switch root to the layered filesystem. Kernel Panic - Not Syncin G: attempted to kill init! I am clueless as to what that means??

Not sure of my next step? HD seems to function fine, I just can't seem to load an operating system. Thanks in advance for any feedback...Don
Old 02-03-2009   #10
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Not sure of my next step? HD seems to function fine, I just can't seem to load an operating system.
Get the Ultimate Boot CD and start with memtest. Let it run overnight.
If you're done, test the HDD with the tools that are also on the UBCD. I guess, one of these components is bad.

Michael
Old 04-03-2009   #11
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi,Get the Ultimate Boot CD and start with memtest. Let it run overnight.
If you're done, test the HDD with the tools that are also on the UBCD. I guess, one of these components is bad.

Michael
Used Ultimate boot disk. Ran memtest for 16 hours. It never got past 3rd test. It was still running. Not sure how to understand results?

I tried HDD tools but not sure what to do with them either. I checked the HD and it is fine. Still unable to load Linux Puppy again. Same issues.

Is there something I can do to the disk to start over clean?
What was i supposed to see or not see from the memtest?

Sorry for all the questions, this is just not something i have never done before..Thanks for you time...Don
Old 04-03-2009   #12
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Used Ultimate boot disk. Ran memtest for 16 hours. It never got past 3rd test.
not good.
Quote:
It was still running. Not sure how to understand results?
Were errors shown? Thet's the output with red background.
Quote:
I tried HDD tools but not sure what to do with them either. I checked the HD and it is fine.
You should only check the HDD if it is good.

Michael, out of ideas at the moment
Old 04-03-2009   #13
New on Forum

it showed 36 million errors at the top of the error column. Nothing in the top heading of the screen. I did try and managed to load Win 98. It partitioned the disk, worked through the install and took the activation code. Then it just locks up. Will not boot from the HD only the disk.

Thanks for all your help. I will keep dinking around with it. Perhaps the memory is bad?
Old 04-03-2009   #14
Senior Moderator

Quote:
it showed 36 million errors at the top of the error column.
Ouch!
Quote:
Thanks for all your help. I will keep dinking around with it. Perhaps the memory is bad?
That's what I think. Maybe just reseating the modules does help.

Michael
Old 07-03-2009   #15
New on Forum

Ok, now that I have figured out it is not the HD. How do i check the memory for sure. I am pretty short on funds and don't want to replace the DSRM card unless I am pretty sure it will fix it. The computer is not all that new and not worth pumping money into it. I used the Ultimate boot disk but was not really sure how to interpret what I was seeing when i did a memtest. Thanks for all the help so far. Any more suggestions? Don
Old 06-04-2009   #16
New on Forum

Unfortunately, you can only use the official restore disk to reinstall windows by booting from the cd. I have the same laptop, and the same problem. To install a new version of windows, you must begin the installation from within windows and copy the installation files to the harddrive. Then, after restarting and finishing the new installation, you must delete the old copy of windows manually. So if you use a new hardrive with this laptop, you must either use the restore disk, or copy everything from the old HD to the new HD, and then follow the fore mentioned instructions...
-GeordiLaForge- is offline   Reply With Quote