Old 04-10-2006   #1
New on Forum

(insert player) has encountered a problem and needs to close

I don't know what happened, I use to be able to play DVDs with no issue...now no matter what program I use to play a DVD I get (this program) has encountered a problem and needs to close. I've tried playing multiple DVDs using Real player and windows media player, with the same error message. I did reinstall the dvd drive, and it didnt help. I also made sure I have the right decoders and codecs. Any advice?
zanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: (insert player) has encountered a problem and needs to close

Make sure you have the original program disk for you DVD player before you do the following.
1/Uninstall the DVD playing software from "add/remove programs."
2/Delete any reference to the uninstalled software in the registry. If you don't know how to do this you can use an easy tool like Ccleaner to do it, from the built-in tools section.
Download Ccleaner here: www.ccleaner.com/
3/Shut your machine down and re-boot.
4/Now re-install the original player software and see how you go.

The other option is to use Windows System Restore function and select a restoration date before your computer was playing up and this might fix the problem as well.
Stroppy likes FOOD!
Oh the pain, the pain... William!
Where is that Bubble-Headed Booby?
stroppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #3
Senior Moderator & Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanev
I also made sure I have the right decoders and codecs.
Hmm... any dodgy 'codec pack' installed, perhaps?

Also after you do what Stroppy suggests, try VideoLAN VLC tool. It carries its own codecs so if that works and everything else doesn't then the suspicion is on a feature common to all the DVD playback softwares.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #4
MR1
New on Forum

VLC is alright, but I'd use it only as a last resort, despite its low cpu usage and high compatability, it lacks seek times and dvd playback... well for me anyway, doesn't look too good. I see lines when there's a lot of motion... is that interlacing? Well, whatever, it does sound like a codec issue.

MR
MR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #5
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroppy
Make sure you have the original program disk for you DVD player before you do the following.
1/Uninstall the DVD playing software from "add/remove programs."
2/Delete any reference to the uninstalled software in the registry. If you don't know how to do this you can use an easy tool like Ccleaner to do it, from the built-in tools section.
Download Ccleaner here: www.ccleaner.com/
3/Shut your machine down and re-boot.
4/Now re-install the original player software and see how you go.

The other option is to use Windows System Restore function and select a restoration date before your computer was playing up and this might fix the problem as well.
I followed every step and the same thing happens... i might just end up reinstalling windows.
zanev is offline   Reply With Quote