Old 25-11-2008   #1
MyCE Resident

I'm looking for a DVD Recorder that Records over 10 Hours on a DVD-R/DVD+R Media

I'm looking for a DVD Recorder that Records over 10 Hours. I own a Pioneer DVD Recorder that records the max of 10 hours. And, Would like to know of a DVD Recorder that records more then 10 Hours on a single layer 4.7 Gigs DVD
writable.

Thank you in advanced.
Macrovision3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008   #2
Senior Moderator & Editor

Re: I'm looking for a DVD Recorder that Records over 10 Hours on a DVD-R/DVD+R Media

I see you're a discerning viewer of quality.
  • Hard disk?
  • Editing?
  • +R/-R?

Or does it not matter... just the '>10 hr'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008   #3
Video editing software expert

Re: I'm looking for a DVD Recorder that Records over 10 Hours on a DVD-R/DVD+R Media

Hope you are looking at bluray.. Getting 10 hours of quality video on even a dvd dual layer would be difficult.. For quality, it is recommended that you do no more than 2 1/2 to 3hrs on single, which would mean 5 - 6hrs on dl.

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkidd57 View Post
I see you're a discerning viewer of quality.
  • Hard disk?
  • Editing?
  • +R/-R?

Or does it not matter... just the '>10 hr'.

DVD-R/DVD+R Recordable media. I like recording up to 10 Hours because I like more viewing content.
If you can watch it, you can enjoy it. Not sure what the big hype with bluray. When Bluray recorders come out I will be interested...15 bucks for BD-R is too pricey. I just received a PM he mentions the new pioneer recorders can hit up to 18 hours on DVD+DL...I might give that a try
I have a pioneer recorder that only supports DVD+R/DVD-R/-RW.
So, I'm gonna try this new recorder this friday.
And, by the way, 10 hour mode in this recorder is virtually the same quality as a 2 hour mode because
10 hours just becomes more soft but, not pixelated Pioneer is the best!

Last edited by Macrovision3500; 25-11-2008 at 23:37. Reason: More info
Old 25-11-2008   #5
Senior Moderator & Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrovision3500 View Post
...I just received a PM he mentions the new pioneer recorders can hit up to 18 hours on DVD+DL...I might give that a try ...
You said "single layer discs" . So I think <9 hrs per SL.

MPEG1.

I guess you know what you want.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008   #6
Retired Moderator

Pioneer and Sony HDD/DVD recorders (Sonys being Pioneers inside these days) will allow you to record to DVD-R/RW media in "MN1" mode which should give you 13h 22min recording time according to the manual for my Sony RDR-HX750 recorder.

This recording mode is not available for DVD+R/+RW/+R DL.

The quality in this recording mode is pretty bad (Youtube quality) but watchable if you don't really care.
Old 25-11-2008   #7
Administrator

Mpeg1 is roughly the same quality as VHS isn't it? We withstood that quality level for years.

Though why anyone would choose to do so now is beyond me.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post
Pioneer and Sony HDD/DVD recorders (Sonys being Pioneers inside these days) will allow you to record to DVD-R/RW media in "MN1" mode which should give you 13h 22min recording time according to the manual for my Sony RDR-HX750 recorder.

This recording mode is not available for DVD+R/+RW/+R DL.

The quality in this recording mode is pretty bad (Youtube quality) but watchable if you don't really care.
Very impressive unit indeed (records 24 hours on a DVD+DL disc) only problem is: the unit you mentioned is in region 3 Austria. I need Region 1 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
Mpeg1 is roughly the same quality as VHS isn't it? We withstood that quality level for years.
hehehe-- very funny... people still use VHS in africa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post

Actually, quality in 10 hours & 30 minutes (SEP) mode using a Pioneer DVD Recorder brand: DVR-231-s to be exact is very decent. Quality its like Super VCD qualty

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2ride View Post
Hope you are looking at bluray.. Getting 10 hours of quality video on even a dvd dual layer would be difficult.. For quality, it is recommended that you do no more than 2 1/2 to 3hrs on single, which would mean 5 - 6hrs on dl.
Well, bluray is as good as upconvert DVD player IMHO and, much cheaper!
DVD format is the most popular format in the world. SONY is gonna have to sell there Bluray players at a more budget price to compete with DVD.
Specially in these crisis times...unless your rich...
Why would you wanna spend 15 bucks for 1 BD-R disc when a DVD-R is like 20 cents when purchased in a spindle?
Old 26-11-2008   #9
Video editing software expert

As long as you are happy with the quality you are getting, we are happy... I can easily notice the difference between putting 2 1/2 hours onto dvd (with professional software), and putting 4 hours onto dvd. Is it still watchable? Sure.. But I definately prefer to keep my dvd's below 3hrs..

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008   #10
NBR
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2ride View Post
ill second that, as 3 hours is about the longest i would 'recommend' for quality reason's although 2 to 2 1/2 hours is probably optimal between decent recording length and great quality.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote