Old 15-11-2005   #1
New on Forum

How to tell if copy-protected?

Hi all,

Is there a quick was of knowing if a movie DVD is copy-protected? I'm trying to back up a few of my own, but Nero Express 6 (which came with my DVD burner) tells me "Simulation is not possible with the current media" (I was using "simulation mode" before actually burning anything).

So I'd like to find out whether the DVD is copy-protected (in which case I'll leave it alone), or if the blank media is the problem (I tried DVD-R and DVD+R on a DVD+- R/RW), or if Nero is not supposed to be used to back up a movie DVD (only data DVD's).

Any program that would analize my DVD and tell me if it is copy protected? (no need to know what protection at this point).

Thanks in advance,

Roberto
rgpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005   #2
CD Freaks Member

Re: How to tell if copy-protected?

Get a copy of DVDDecrytper that will tell you what kind of protection you have on the disc. DVD Decrypter will also create a copy free image on your hard drive, then you can use nero to burn the DVD.

BTW
DVD Decrypter is 100% freeware.
System #1 (main System, Windows XP SP2)
Abit AN8-SLI motherboard, 1GB DDR-400 Memory, PCX5300 Video, 80GB SATA2 HD (xp boot), 250GB SATA2 HD (DVD backups), AMD Athlon 3000+ (2.45Ghz), Liteon 167T DVD reader, Pioneer DVR-109 FW: 1.58, Epson P220 printer

System #2 (Dedicated Firewall)
Asus MB with AMD K6-2 @500Mhz CPU, 128MB PC100, Trident 1MB Video, Linux OS running firewall software. Two 10/100 Ethernet Cards and DSL modem

SOFTWARE
DVDFAB Plat., DVDLAB PRO, Adobe Audition 1.5, Xilisoft Video Converter, Nero, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Power DVD
robo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005   #3
CDFreaks Resident

They're ALL copy protected. Seriously.

Virtually ALL discs (although some haven't, of late) have CSS encryption on them.

New releases from Sony or its subsidiaries have Arccos.

Many discs from all vendors now have RCE, but that's pretty trivial.

There aren't any other forms of copy protection currently being marketed, except a couple of "very similar to arccos but not from sony and only used on one or two discs" things.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005   #4
CD Freaks Member

Agree. I would be surprised if you have any discs that are not protected. The easiest thing to do for DVD copies is to use the following software (the FREE solution)

- DVD Decrypter
- DVD Shrink

DVD Decrypter (Freeware)
Decrypter will allow you to bring in a DVD and create a DVD on your hard drive (with Video_TS and Audio_TS directories). This DVD will be copy free as decrypter will remove all the CSS and macrovision copy protection.

DVD Shrink (Freeware)DVD Shrink will allow you to compres larger DVD's to fit in a single DVD+R disc along with removing certain features and languages off the disc. You can also use DVD Shrink to burn your disc, it actually uses the Nero burning engine to burn the disc.

Both of these packages are free and work on a lot of DVD's, however if you are serious at DVD copies I would look into DVDFAB or AnyDVD for your copies. Both of these packages have a demo version so you can try them. The big deal is that both of these programs are updated all the time for newer copy protection schemes. If you buy one of these packages you get free lifetime updates.

Here are the links for the FREE tools

DVD Shrink

DVD Decrypter
System #1 (main System, Windows XP SP2)
Abit AN8-SLI motherboard, 1GB DDR-400 Memory, PCX5300 Video, 80GB SATA2 HD (xp boot), 250GB SATA2 HD (DVD backups), AMD Athlon 3000+ (2.45Ghz), Liteon 167T DVD reader, Pioneer DVR-109 FW: 1.58, Epson P220 printer

System #2 (Dedicated Firewall)
Asus MB with AMD K6-2 @500Mhz CPU, 128MB PC100, Trident 1MB Video, Linux OS running firewall software. Two 10/100 Ethernet Cards and DSL modem

SOFTWARE
DVDFAB Plat., DVDLAB PRO, Adobe Audition 1.5, Xilisoft Video Converter, Nero, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Power DVD
robo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005   #5
CD Freaks Rookie

Before you open DVD Decrypter, can't you open DVD Shrink first and find out
if the movie copy protected during the Analsying phase?

Also, I thought DVD Decrypter would warn you of possible copy protection as
soon as you select Mode>ISO>Read. I mean, before you actually click on the Green button to start decrypting.

-jimbob.
jimbob338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo100
Get a copy of DVDDecrytper that will tell you what kind of protection you have on the disc. DVD Decrypter will also create a copy free image on your hard drive, then you can use nero to burn the DVD.
Thanks for the info. Do I need to create the DVD image to know if there is a copy protection, or will DVD Decrypter tell me, before the "decrypting/creating image" process, whether there is a protection on that DVD?

Thanks,

Roberto
rgpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005   #7
MyCE Resident

@ rgpg,

Place the Commercial DVD Movie Title in your computer DVD device, open DVD Decrypter, point DVD Decrypter to the Commercial DVD Movie Title VIDEO_TS folder and DVD Decrypter will reveal if the Commercial DVD Movie Title contains any copy protection scheme. There is no need to copy the Commercial DVD Movie Title to your computer to reveal if the Commercial DVD Movie Title contains any copy protection scheme.

I doubt if you will ever find any Commercial DVD Movie Title that does not contain any copy protection scheme of some type.

Best Regards,
bjkg
bjkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005   #8
Legal Senior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkg
I doubt if you will ever find any Commercial DVD Movie Title that does not contain any copy protection scheme of some type.
Oz release of Bowling for Columbine has no copy protection (but I doubt that there are very many others).