Old 24-11-2002   #1
New on Forum

How to run games without CD inserted?

I play a number of Flight Sims a lot, namely, FS98, Combat Sim 1 & 2, EAW, IL2 Sturmovik and B17.

I'm a 67 year old pensioner. Is there any reliable freebie software that will enable me to run the legally owned & installed games (on my HDD) without having to have the game CD-Rom inserted ?
By reliable I mean - it won't crash my system!!

My system: AMD 1800+, 256 Mb DDR SDRAM, 64Mb Geforce 3 Ti200 AGP, Samtron 96P 19" monito, Windows XP Pro.

Thanks
Old 24-11-2002   #2
CD Freaks Senior Member

If you have the latest version of Clone CD installed, you can create an image of your game and mount the image into a virtual CD Drive and you do not need the CD to play. However, some games require you to play from the drive which you installed the game from. So, you must edit your registry and change the installed CD Drive path. Do that and your game shall work.
Old 24-11-2002   #3
MyCE Resident

daemon tools is the pro at this.

last 5 cd's
Avril Lavigne - Whatever the new one is called
Lucky Boys Confusion - Throwing the Game
lostprophets - Start Something
Story of the Year - Page Avenue
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
-Mark Twain
Old 27-11-2002   #4
CD Freaks Rookie

the answer my friend lies in searching for these three words on www.google.com game copy world and then follow your nose.

Intel Pentium 4
3.0gig processor
1GB PC3200 Ram
Maxtor 30gig 7200rpm HD
Maxtor
BENQ DVD burner
LiteOn CD burner
NVidia Geforce 6200
Lynksys NIC
Old 27-11-2002   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

if you have the extra drive space it would be better to use daemon tools.
using cracked exe's can be a real pain in the butt as not all of the game data is always put on the hard drive during install. and if the game is updated with a patch then you have to wait for a new crack.

easiest and cheapest way is to use daemon tools and a free/cheap program to make images of the cd's.
Old 28-11-2002   #6
CDFreaks Resident

Well, if you legal own the games, then you can use Cracks.

I don't think that will be illegal as you own the game.
Old 28-11-2002   #7
Legal Senior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by darshanjog
Well, if you legal own the games, then you can use Cracks.

I don't think that will be illegal as you own the game.
Whilst I doubt that anyone would ever be prosecuted if they own an original, it's still reverse engineering and is illegal.
Old 28-11-2002   #8
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by philamber

Whilst I doubt that anyone would ever be prosecuted if they own an original, it's still reverse engineering and is illegal.
I bet he is on the stronger side as he owns the original.

Also, its the easiest way to play a game without CDs.

Old 29-11-2002   #9
MyCE Resident

the easiest way to play without the cd is to mount the cd to the hard drive. no reverse engineering necessary. of course, if YOU can make a crack in under the 3-5 minutes it would take to rip the entire cd to the hard drive, and mount it under daemon tools, maybe a crack would be the way to go. but i doubt it.

last 5 cd's
Avril Lavigne - Whatever the new one is called
Lucky Boys Confusion - Throwing the Game
lostprophets - Start Something
Story of the Year - Page Avenue
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
-Mark Twain
Old 30-11-2002   #10

Why don't you download a crack????
Old 30-11-2002   #11
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ckin2001
the easiest way to play without the cd is to mount the cd to the hard drive. no reverse engineering necessary. of course, if YOU can make a crack in under the 3-5 minutes it would take to rip the entire cd to the hard drive, and mount it under daemon tools, maybe a crack would be the way to go. but i doubt it.
in less than 3-5 minutes.... Ok i just downloaded cracks to three of my favorite games in less that 2 minutes in fact it was like 57seconds. so in your 3-5 minutes i could download a crack for everyone in here to play there fav game. just being realistic.

Intel Pentium 4
3.0gig processor
1GB PC3200 Ram
Maxtor 30gig 7200rpm HD
Maxtor
BENQ DVD burner
LiteOn CD burner
NVidia Geforce 6200
Lynksys NIC
Old 30-11-2002   #12
CD Freaks VIP

And what happens when an Update is released for your game that you have got a nocd crack on??
Does it even install the game patch or are you forced to reinstall the game then the game update?

I just use a Virtual drive and Images
Old 30-11-2002   #13
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by portmac
And what happens when an Update is released for your game that you have got a nocd crack on??
Does it even install the game patch or are you forced to reinstall the game then the game update?
If I find any need for updating the games the updates overwrite the patch. I very rarely find any need for the updates as I normally dont see any errors. Now you may think that it overwriting the crack is a problem, its not. Most major crack providers make new patches within a week of the update release. This is to keep their wonderful users coming back. And I have never had to reinstall a game due to an update, And I can always find a "fixed .exe" to give me the option of No-CD.

I recommend the patch method:

1.) Disk Space. I have 80gigs but I hate keeping images on my drive why waste the space on Images when I could have more games installed. 700megs VS file replacement????

2.) Load time. I never have load time issues like I do when the game scans the CD for info, even when the game is on my HD.

3.) Ease of switching. I like to keep my virtual drive program closed, it uses system resources and I love to hog my own resources, so switching images means pulling it up mounting a new image and then closing it and leaving the emulation enabled.

4.) The only way I could see using an image would be to run it off a data cd, but if you have the original what is the point.

Intel Pentium 4
3.0gig processor
1GB PC3200 Ram
Maxtor 30gig 7200rpm HD
Maxtor
BENQ DVD burner
LiteOn CD burner
NVidia Geforce 6200
Lynksys NIC
Old 05-12-2002   #14
CD Freaks Member

my simple answer.

Alcohol 120%.
Old 05-12-2002   #15
CD Freaks Member

Unless you want to be on the wrong side of the Law.
Dont use No-CD Cracks.
Old 05-12-2002   #16
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by RaWShadow
Unless you want to be on the wrong side of the Law.
Dont use No-CD Cracks.
if you own the original cd, no one can harm you.
Old 05-12-2002   #17
Management

Cracks are simply not allowed, making a crack is done with reverse engineering and read any EULA, it's forbidden. You might not get prosecuted, but also not everyone who steals a bike gets prosecuted, it's still forbidden. I don't say I agree with it, but that's the law.

The first question has been answered many times now, you can use a Virtual CD-ROM drive like Deamon Tools or Alcohol. They will also emulate the copy protection. With Alcohol you can also make the image, if you are going to use DAEMON Tools you will need e.g CloneCD or the BlindWrite Suite.

To stop the crack talks, thread closed.