Old 10-12-2008   #1
New on Forum

How to remove .jpg from file names

Dear Cd freaks,

I have hundreds of pictures stored in my PC. I just downloaded the trial version of nero 9. Now all my pictures have names with .JPG extensions on it and it looks ugly. I think installing nero 9 was the culprit. Will try to uninstall nero 9 now but if this doesn't work what should I do? I could manually remove all .JPG from all my pictures but this is time consuming. Besides if I try to remove .JPG it wont automatically open by default. I rfeally need your help.

Thanks in advance.
revjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: How to remove .jpg from file names

I don't ever recall Nero of any version changing file name extensions? Are you sure it was Nero?? I have the old version Nero 6 and it hasn't changed any of my jpg file name extensions.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #3
No longer with us

POssibly in Windows the display of extensions is disabled, whereas Nero shows them...don't know if that it is the problem....

If they are true jpg files, I would not change the extension, because no software will then recognize the files anymore.
Da_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

If the files don't have an extension (ie: .jpg) then nothing would be able to open them. Windows only knows how to handle files (ie: which program to open them with) based on the file extension.

Windows by default hides the file extension.
Old 19-12-2008   #5
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Taxman View Post
POssibly in Windows the display of extensions is disabled, whereas Nero shows them...don't know if that it is the problem....

If they are true jpg files, I would not change the extension, because no software will then recognize the files anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
If the files don't have an extension (ie: .jpg) then nothing would be able to open them. Windows only knows how to handle files (ie: which program to open them with) based on the file extension.

Windows by default hides the file extension.

If you don't want the file extensions displayed, simply enable
Hide extensions for known file types
As Dogg said, this is enabled by default.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote