Old 21-07-2010   #1
MyCE Member

How to record my stomping upstairs neighbor?

This question may seem a bit off-the-wall, (or perhaps off-the-ceiling)

I live in a 1970's era wood frame apartment building. My upstairs neighbor stomps around so violently that his stomping actually shakes my bed frame. It feels as if someone were kicking my bed when I try to nap in the afternoon. I'm disabled by chronic health problems that require me to rest often during the day, so, as you can probably imagine, this constant disruption of my rest is having an adverse effect on my health.

I've contacted both the noisy neighbor and the landlord, but to no avail. It turns out they are old friends, and both insist that I am imagining the noise.

I'd like to make some recordings that would document the intensity of my neighbor's stomping, but wonder how to go about it.

What I'm thinking of doing is buying a digital recorder and some kind of microphone that would register the stomping vibrations. I think that these vibrations are probably below the range of most microphones, because I feel them more than hear them. They are more like concussions rather than like sounds.

A local music store suggested I buy something called a bottle cap mic.

I'm on a small monthly Social Security disability pension, so cost is a major factor.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or advice on how to document this problem.

P.S. I imagine that the first reaction to reading my message might be: "Why don't you just move?" The answer is that I receive a rent subsidy from the city, and the red tape involved in moving is a bureaucratic nightmare. Add to that the stress and expense of moving (I don't have a car), the difficulty of finding a livable apartment in the price range the city is willing to subsidize, and considering my poor health and lack of financial resources, and you might be able see how I could feel that I should exhaust all possible remedies before undertaking the daunting task of moving.
Old 21-07-2010   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: How to record my stomping upstairs neighbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless in Seattle View Post
This question may seem a bit off-the-wall, (or perhaps off-the-ceiling)

I live in a 1970's era wood frame apartment building. My upstairs neighbor stomps around so violently that his stomping actually shakes my bed frame. It feels as if someone were kicking my bed when I try to nap in the afternoon. I'm disabled by chronic health problems that require me to rest often during the day, so, as you can probably imagine, this constant disruption of my rest is having an adverse effect on my health.

I've contacted both the noisy neighbor and the landlord, but to no avail. It turns out they are old friends, and both insist that I am imagining the noise.

I'd like to make some recordings that would document the intensity of my neighbor's stomping, but wonder how to go about it.

What I'm thinking of doing is buying a digital recorder and some kind of microphone that would register the stomping vibrations. I think that these vibrations are probably below the range of most microphones, because I feel them more than hear them. They are more like concussions rather than like sounds.

A local music store suggested I buy something called a bottle cap mic.

I'm on a small monthly Social Security disability pension, so cost is a major factor.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or advice on how to document this problem.

P.S. I imagine that the first reaction to reading my message might be: "Why don't you just move?" The answer is that I receive a rent subsidy from the city, and the red tape involved in moving is a bureaucratic nightmare. Add to that the stress and expense of moving (I don't have a car), the difficulty of finding a livable apartment in the price range the city is willing to subsidize, and considering my poor health and lack of financial resources, and you might be able see how I could feel that I should exhaust all possible remedies before undertaking the daunting task of moving.
Hi Clueless

I'm not sure how you would go about recording the vibrations if it can be done, I hate rude neighbor's and is why I live in a house, anyway I personally would have someone there during the day to verify the rude stomping or what ever is causing the vibrations because they could say the tape or recording has been tampered with.

SJ
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010   #3
MyCE Senior Member

Re: How to record my stomping upstairs neighbor?

Do you have sorta tenant union in the USA? see them

Have some friends witness the noise at sensitive times.

A recording, so far I know, is no evidence coz the volume can be adjusted to any level.

GA990FXA-UD3v4
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 16GB 1866 HyperX
Gigabyte R9 380 G1
HDD WD10EZEX/ SSHD ST1000DX001
SeaSonic 650W
Win7/x64

Millennium12 is offline   Reply With Quote