Old 03-04-2011   #1

How to put my dvd movie collection onto a hard drive and play on T.V.

Hi there members, I am a newbie and would like to copy my movie collection onto an external hard-drive so that I can watch them on my T.V. when ever I need. My question to the forum is as follows:
1. What hard drive should I buy?
2. What program do I need to download, to copy the movies and play them
back on my T.V.?
3. Is there anything else I need to do?
4. Should it be a hard-drive or Pvr?
5. I have about 600 movies so two hard-drives may be needed?

Any advice at all would be appreciated, so many thanks in anticipation.
Shibumi.
shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: How to put my dvd movie collection onto a hard drive and play on T.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibumi View Post
Hi there members, I am a newbie and would like to copy my movie collection onto an external hard-drive so that I can watch them on my T.V. when ever I need. My question to the forum is as follows:
1. What hard drive should I buy?
2. What program do I need to download, to copy the movies and play them
back on my T.V.?
3. Is there anything else I need to do?
4. Should it be a hard-drive or Pvr?
5. I have about 600 movies so two hard-drives may be needed?

Any advice at all would be appreciated, so many thanks in anticipation.
Shibumi.
I have yet to see a external HDD connect to a tv just by itself?? What format are you going to use to store the movie? Are you watching just the movie itself of a iso or ripped movie portion? What format are you current movie in right now? There are some more stuff you need to provide others reading this to know what kinda setup your trying to setup??
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #3

Hi Coolcolors, thanks for the quick reply. My movies are the normal ones that you buy in retail stores, as for the format for storing well that's what I am in this forum for, as I know nothing about such things. I just want to copy them onto some sort of storage device and then watch them on my T.V. Thanks. Shibumi.
Old 03-04-2011   #4
MyCE Resident

@ coolcolors ; The Aquos by Sharp I have has a USB input. I have a Rosewill Hard drive dock (toaster) with a WD 800GB sata in it. Of course the dock has a USB out.
I play DVD compliant movies strait from it to the TV via USB. There is a slight blackout when going to the next .vob (this is automatic I don't have to select each .vob). This can be cured by creating a single large .vob but it doesn't bother me enough to do that.
I know this doesn't help the OP much.
@ shibumi , I will try to answer some of your questions .
The hard drive that's best is hard to answer.
You need to get a media player in most cases . The better ones I've looked at use an internal HDD but also have a USB input so they can also use an external HDD. Handy when the internal drive gets full. Most of these have codecs to handle various formats.
As well as different outputs so you can use the one that works with your TV.
This is an example of one:
http://www.argosy.tw/product-detial.php?prod_id=154

There is much debate about the best copy software.
The big two & what most will recommend are the AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 combination from slysoft OR DVDFab .
The amount of hard drives you need depends on the format you use .
If you rip full size DVD compliant with nothing removed each movie will average 8GB.
That means you can put 128 movies per TB .
If you just rip movie only you can double that.
Other formats will let you compress to a much smaller size but you would need to decide if that gives you an acceptable quality picture.
A PVR would only be good for recording "broadcast" movies.
Old 03-04-2011   #5

Hi Cholla, Thank you for you very in-depth reply, it seems as if there is no easy solution to my query and I think I will put it in the too hard basket for now, I didn't realize that this matter would be so complex and so out of my field and that I have a lot to learn, perhaps at a later date technology will come down to my level and I will be able achieve my aim.
Once again many thanks Cholla and Coolcolors. Shibumi.
Old 04-04-2011   #6
MyCE Resident

I'd advise to attach a simple pc to your television and surround set. It will defenitely cope with all kinds of formats and you now can use the internet on your television as well.
Old 04-04-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

Mr. Belvedere , Would you give some detail on how you do this. I have some idea myself even though I haven't done this. shibumi is a newbie to this so probably needs more info.
I assume that the correct video card would be the place to start.
Old 05-04-2011   #8
MyCE Resident

You can get a good startup right here.

Personally i have a 720p LCD TV screen that has a VGA-in socket, so i can practically attach any pc to it.

I use an old Compaq Pentium IV machine (was thrown away at work) in my TV cabinet along with a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. The audio output is attached to my trustworthy surround sound system using just a standard stereo cable. I can surf the web, skype and play any kind of video or audio file (thanks to VLC media player) on my television.
Old 05-04-2011   #9
MyCE Resident

For older TV's they even make a VGA to RCA & S-Video adapter so that would solve the problem for going from most computers to an older TV.
They do make a USB to HDMI adapter but it's kind of expensive right now.
I looked for a USB to RCA adapter . I found several that go the wrong way. From TV RCA out to USB computer in. I didn't find any that go computer USB out to TV RCA in .
One of those would be convenient if the computer used didn't have a VGA out .
I know there are also RF adapters if a TV is really old.
So I guess it depends on the TV shibumi has.
For myself I'm going to get a media player next . Maybe the one I posted a link to .
Then eventually I will go the computer route maybe a laptop from a hdmi out.
Old 06-04-2011   #10
MyCE Resident

shibumi, what is the exact brand and model type of your television?
Old 07-04-2011   #11

Hi there, my T.V. is a Panasonic Plasma 42inch analogue with a high definition set top box attached (circa 2004), old I know but it was made in Japan and the picture is perfect not like the Chinese made ones these days. Hope that this may help. Shibumi.

P.S. Model number is TH-42PA20.

Last edited by shibumi; 07-04-2011 at 00:43. Reason: Added model number.
Old 07-04-2011   #12
Senior Moderator

Yes it does help. According to pages 17 & 18 of the manual ( http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TH37PA20U.PDF ) you have both a VGA and a DVI input. Either one can be used to connect a computer to the set.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011   #13
MyCE Senior Member

Why don't you just rip your DVDs to AVI into your HDD and just plug the USB DVD docking to the TV? Easy.
redback5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by redback5 View Post
Why don't you just rip your DVDs to AVI into your HDD and just plug the USB DVD docking to the TV? Easy.
I disagree. Way too much effort. Just hook a pc to your tv.
Old 12-04-2011   #15
MyCE Resident

Mr. Belavdere might be on the right lines! I think I might bag myself a computer that is being thrown out and turn it into a media centre. Sorry if I'm about 6 years too late chaps
Chad_Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Bronson View Post
Mr. Belavdere might be on the right lines! I think I might bag myself a computer that is being thrown out and turn it into a media centre. Sorry if I'm about 6 years too late chaps
Here's a very cheap, but efficient setup:

Requirements:

Two old Pentium IV or above computers with 1GB or more memory. Old Compaq, HP, Dell or Acers work perfectly. Should have on board Network card, Sound, vga, usual stuff. Just two normal desktop computers.

A switch/router/whatever to connect the two computers to your home network. Not wireless, because streaming sucks on that.

If you want Full HD streaming, make sure your network is 1Gigabit and not 100Mbit. If you want to display full hd make sure your tv can and your video card can display 1920x1080 pixels. Note that Full HD is pretty resource consuming, but HD (720 pixels) is possible on almost any cheap ass Pentium 3 hardware

One PC has to have a SATA connection (doesn't really matter which one, but Sata 2 would be nice) and should be able to boot from a USB stick.
a 2TB Samsung SATA Ecogreen F4 harddisk (this is a cheap ass 2TB drive, you are free to use any drive you want of course)
Old 1 GB USB Stick, as long as you can boot from it.
FreeNAS

Method:

Burn FreeNAS iso to cd-rom.

For PC 1:

Put big huge disk into pc
Put in USB stick into pc
Boot pc with FreeNAS cd
Install Freenas on USB stick
Reboot PC1 booting from USB stick
note ip adress
remove keyboard, mouse and monitor from PC 1 and put PC 1 somehwere safe with enough spare room to make sure it cannot overheat. This computer will run 24/7 being your big media vault.

For PC 2:

Just keep and/or install Windows XP on it. (Or Gentoo, Or XBMC, Or mythbuntu, whatever, but personally i think Windows XP works perfectly
Connect VGA or DVI or HDMI to your television
Connect Sound to your surround set
Use your browser (mozilla works best) to configure FreeNas on PC1 using noted ip adress.
Make a network share to your FreeNAS on PC1
Enjoy watching/playing anything from PC1 on your PC2 (and thus on your television) using VLC media player or some other piece of free software to your use.

------------

There you go. Your own media center system using cheap ass components.

If you want more security, stability, performance, backup, etc, you need better and more hardware of course.

If you configure and maintain your cheap FreeNAS PC1 correctly it can be your:

- media center
- streaming server
- file server
- web server
- torrent server
- itunes server
- printer server
- ftp server
- backup server
- user home directory server

If you configure and maintain your cheap TV PC2 correctly it can be your:

- Internet on your television computer
- Media Center
- Entertainment center (videogames on your big screen)
- Read/watch/play/stream any kind of pod- or videocast from any site everwhere
- Radio (shoutcast, icecast, local radio station website)
- Television channel (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, whatever)
- Connect a good webcam (with microphone), install Skype and your television system just became a huge videophone
- Connect a tv tuner and your pc might become a TiVo (this is very difficult!)

Last edited by Mr. Belvedere; 13-04-2011 at 11:34.
Mr. Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011   #17
MyCE Resident

Thankyou Mr. Belvadere, thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Although I just have one comment, we are skint at the moment so if I do find a computer, or if I can score one that is going insanely, cheap, I'll keep you posted. One thing I would like to comment on, suppose I wanted to build a similar computer (or equally, my 2003 machine I've got ) Instead of using an Intel Pentium IV, which are quite expensive, could I use a Intel Celeron which has been overclocked?

My Intel Celeron in my 2003 machine has been overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3GHz.

Is the motherboard important? I ask this because again my 2003 machine has a Socket 478 motherboard which I've found perfect for my needs, emails, writing word documents... Watching a DVD... Anything like that Socket 478s because they are outdated technology go very cheap.

I've often thought for my needs a media enclosure will give cheaper, better performance. Something like the Sumvision one, just bung your movies onto the enclosure, and it will play them via it's (properarity) software. Infact, I might go for the latter once I can grab some cash together Mr Belvadere, any thoughts on media enclosures?

It's incredible to think that only a year ago I was still using VHS tapes, on a second hand Sony mono VCR from 1991! That monster is older than me! Now it seems despite many problems which have been hammered out on my Visitron DVD recorder that I've finally moved to DVD - About 6 years late

Still, my DVD recorder has a hard drive built in. Not too keen on using it though as it's built into the machine...
Old 13-04-2011   #18
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Bronson View Post
suppose I wanted to build a similar computer (or equally, my 2003 machine I've got ) Instead of using an Intel Pentium IV, which are quite expensive
$56 bucks if you spent some time on ebay. Here is another one. Here is one still for 1 dollar and 18 dollars shipping.

Quote:
, could I use a Intel Celeron which has been overclocked? My Intel Celeron in my 2003 machine has been overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3GHz.
Celeron cpu's have a very limited processing capacity. It's not in the cycles, it's in the instruction set. I guess you are pretty safe as long as you don't run much processes on it. There's only one way to find out though.

Quote:
Is the motherboard important? I ask this because again my 2003 machine has a Socket 478 motherboard which I've found perfect for my needs, emails, writing word documents... Watching a DVD... Anything like that Socket 478s because they are outdated technology go very cheap.
Totally not important

Quote:
I've often thought for my needs a media enclosure will give cheaper, better performance. Something like the Sumvision one, just bung your movies onto the enclosure, and it will play them via it's (properarity) software. Infact, I might go for the latter once I can grab some cash together Mr Belvadere, any thoughts on media enclosures?
Most media enclosures have a limited operating system ( embedded linux ) and a limited processor (arm 1 Ghz or something). I have looked at tons of them and nothing kinda beats an old personal computer. The only two drawbacks are that media enclosures are more compact and energy efficient than personal computers.
Old 13-04-2011   #19
MyCE Resident

I'll have a look into media enclosures, they seem very appealing at this moment in time
Old 26-07-2012   #20

I like the setup that Mr. Belvedere mentioned. I do have one question though. Given that it's been over a year since that post, would you change any hardware requirements due to the current technology?
rkclls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012   #21
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkclls View Post
I like the setup that Mr. Belvedere mentioned. I do have one question though. Given that it's been over a year since that post, would you change any hardware requirements due to the current technology?
Yes. Most folks building a HTPC these days go with Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge (Intel parts) or, if you're an AMD fan the Llano parts. The reason is the on chip graphics and audio. You can also find parts from any of these lines that run as low as 20 watts. Less cooling, less power consumption, quieter and so on. 1080p video and multi-channel audio is pretty much the norm, all from one processor.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012   #22
CE Freak

I'm always surprised to see reviews of HTPCs never including TV cards. I have a feeling most TVs are still used to watch... uh... TV. We always preferred the first couple of generations of the ATI All-in-Wonder cards because their software had an almost infinite ability for video-quality 'tuning'. I loved that. Now everything's settled on the "Best" and "Good" options only. Grrr.

The ATI Theater Pro's 650 are the last ATI-AMD cards with hardware MPG encoding - the newer 750s are now all software and I'm just prejudiced against that. It might actually be fine - the argument is 'let the multi-core CPU do that." Yeah. OK. But still... there's the "can't teach dead dogs new tricks" syndrome in my head.

The Hauppage cards seem to produce a high-quality video while recording, but are rather pricey $80 for single tuners, $130 for dual, but those too are hardware-based MPG encoders, so modern CPUs don't mean too much for those. They DO have an impact on later video-editing and converting to DVD-files!

We too push out a lot of 'older gen' PCs for HTPCs, and then stick on larger 2nd-3rd HDs, or little NAS units.

I wish the 8Tb drives would get here next month so we can load up more of our DVDs on them! I wonder if Stormy or Kerry is to blame for delaying this?!! C'mon, guys-! Git with the program! 8Tb next month, 12Tb or 16Tb the next month. What ARE you waiting for?!! I need my, I need my, I need my TerabyteTV...
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012   #23
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
I'm always surprised to see reviews of HTPCs never including TV cards. I have a feeling most TVs are still used to watch... uh... TV. We always preferred the first couple of generations of the ATI All-in-Wonder cards because their software had an almost infinite ability for video-quality 'tuning'. I loved that. Now everything's settled on the "Best" and "Good" options only. Grrr.

The ATI Theater Pro's 650 are the last ATI-AMD cards with hardware MPG encoding - the newer 750s are now all software and I'm just prejudiced against that. It might actually be fine - the argument is 'let the multi-core CPU do that." Yeah. OK. But still... there's the "can't teach dead dogs new tricks" syndrome in my head.

The Hauppage cards seem to produce a high-quality video while recording, but are rather pricey $80 for single tuners, $130 for dual, but those too are hardware-based MPG encoders, so modern CPUs don't mean too much for those. They DO have an impact on later video-editing and converting to DVD-files!

We too push out a lot of 'older gen' PCs for HTPCs, and then stick on larger 2nd-3rd HDs, or little NAS units.

I wish the 8Tb drives would get here next month so we can load up more of our DVDs on them! I wonder if Stormy or Kerry is to blame for delaying this?!! C'mon, guys-! Git with the program! 8Tb next month, 12Tb or 16Tb the next month. What ARE you waiting for?!! I need my, I need my, I need my TerabyteTV...
Holy cow, it's been a while since I was on this sight

I agree with your top comment that most people who watch TV do so on a TV. One of my main frustrations with watching it on a computer or on a mobile phone is the abysmal low bandwidth used to stream television over the internet. It's a nightmare. It's just constant buffering and shoddy picture quality. When I can just watch it on TV or set my Sky planner to record episodes and dub it to DVD should I want to do so.
Old 26-07-2012   #24
CE Freak

Chad, I can't believe teeny screens are marketing "watch TV and movies!" as a selling point. I guess that's OK in a sports bar where no one's watching MY games so I'm stuck on a 2-inch display, but sheesh... who would REALLY wanna watch LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on a pad?!!

In a typical TV-Card-in-PC setup, we run the TV-cable from the wall into the TV-Card in the computer. And then a cable from the computer's video card (nowadays, that's usually an HDMI cable) into the TV-set.

Now, your computer is your 'cable box and DVR'.

There's one provisio... if you want to create DVDs from your saved TV-broadcast recordings, you'll need a video-editor - most of the TV Card software comes with a rudimentary one, and they'll do the bare minimum of "converting it" - but menu'ing, chapter-breaks, chopping out commercials, or the extra beginning-and-ending minutes - not very well, if at all.

THEN, if we get into video-editing, that computer NOW must either transfer those files to a second-computer for the editing time OR you're doing Video-Edits instead of "watching TV" because you're using that computer!

Ah, the joys of multiple computers!! And think of all that extra electricity!! Wheeee... utility companies must love this internet revolution!

One other point about "watching TV on my computer" - I don't really care to sit in a computer chair and Just Watch. I'm not a sit-back personality, perhaps, but sitting in my computer chair begs me to Do Something Else, Too. The couch, or on the floor with the popcorn bowl between us - THAT is TV watching time, to me. Not sitting in a computer chair.
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012   #25
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
Chad, I can't believe teeny screens are marketing "watch TV and movies!" as a selling point. I guess that's OK in a sports bar where no one's watching MY games so I'm stuck on a 2-inch display, but sheesh... who would REALLY wanna watch LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on a pad?!!

In a typical TV-Card-in-PC setup, we run the TV-cable from the wall into the TV-Card in the computer. And then a cable from the computer's video card (nowadays, that's usually an HDMI cable) into the TV-set.

Now, your computer is your 'cable box and DVR'.

There's one provisio... if you want to create DVDs from your saved TV-broadcast recordings, you'll need a video-editor - most of the TV Card software comes with a rudimentary one, and they'll do the bare minimum of "converting it" - but menu'ing, chapter-breaks, chopping out commercials, or the extra beginning-and-ending minutes - not very well, if at all.

THEN, if we get into video-editing, that computer NOW must either transfer those files to a second-computer for the editing time OR you're doing Video-Edits instead of "watching TV" because you're using that computer!

Ah, the joys of multiple computers!! And think of all that extra electricity!! Wheeee... utility companies must love this internet revolution!

One other point about "watching TV on my computer" - I don't really care to sit in a computer chair and Just Watch. I'm not a sit-back personality, perhaps, but sitting in my computer chair begs me to Do Something Else, Too. The couch, or on the floor with the popcorn bowl between us - THAT is TV watching time, to me. Not sitting in a computer chair.
Don't even go there on watching on tiny screens

As far as recording from the TV goes, I can't deal with the hassle of having to use a computer to master the recordings from my PC, so I plug my DVD recorder into my Sky + and dub from that. DVD chaptering, authoring, ready to use for on other players.

Burning isn't entirely reliable on a standalone, so if it's particularly important, I dub onto a DVD+RW, make an ISO, and burn back to a DVD+R

But hey, different strokes for different folks, eh?