Old 14-03-2007   #1
New on Forum

How to put 4GB Data on a 700mb CD

Hello Friends,

Recently I have seen some CDs of 700mb (Windows XP 9 in 1, Windows 2003 Server 5 in 1... etc etc) which has DATA of aprox. 4GB.

If we see the property of CD it shows the SIZE around 700mb, But if we select all files in the CD and see property to find SIZE we can see the DATA size is around 4gb!

Also If we COPY the that CD using any CD Burner software (like Nero 7) we can copy the CD to another CD of 700mb.

How can we make 4GB of DATA to burn in a CD and What Softwares we need to use for that. Please guide. I have searched many places, Including this site, But did not get any help.

Please guide.

Regards
Prabhat
http://prabhatnath.blogspot.com

Last edited by prabhat2007; 14-03-2007 at 16:15.
prabhat2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: How to put 4GB Data on a 700mb CD

Hi
That's a compression factor of +/- 5.7, and compression factor depends on used software, the compression method and the type of files/data.
It's strange that you read 4GB and copy 400 MB, as the first value is the expanded space and the last one the actual files total size.
In installation discs you have dta files that expand to the final applications and files.In Windows. these used to have the extension .CAB, amd MS probably uses special packaging applications to produce installation discs.
For regular data backup you have several applications that can compress quite a bit, as Norton Ghost for instance that splits the backup across several discs if needed.
Normal packages like Winzip (and similar programs) can reduce size, but a 5.7/5.8 factor is something...
agomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by agomes
That's a compression factor of +/- 5.7, and compression factor depends on used software, the compression method and the type of files/data.
It's strange that you read 4GB and copy 400 MB, as the first value is the expanded space and the last one the actual files total size.
In installation discs you have dta files that expand to the final applications and files.In Windows. these used to have the extension .CAB, amd MS probably uses special packaging applications to produce installation discs.
For regular data backup you have several applications that can compress quite a bit, as Norton Ghost for instance that splits the backup across several discs if needed.
Normal packages like Winzip (and similar programs) can reduce size, but a 5.7/5.8 factor is something...
Hi, if it is compressed, then if we select ALL files and see size we can see 4GB, then I think it is not compressed.

Like the CAB file shows 1 MB (suppose) and on extraction it gives 5 MB, So we can tell that the CAB file is compressed.
Old 14-03-2007   #4
MyCE Resident

With these CDs there are multiple links to a single set of files totalling less than 700mb.

This is quite common with software releases where there's options for multiple operating systems etc.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007   #5
MyCE Resident

700mb (milli-bit) = 0.7 bits or 0.0875 bytes. You won't fit a lot of data in that space :-)

It is possible to compress data so than more than 700MB (mega-byte) of uncompressed data can be stored on a CD. The amount of compression will depend on the nature of the data. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff that we want to store on CD is already compressed. You won't be able to compress MPEG sounds and movies, JPEG /GIF/PNG image files or ZIP files by any significant amount.

It is possible to pretend that there is more than 700MB on a CD. See this topic from a couple of weeks ago: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=211197
skelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC
With these CDs there are multiple links to a single set of files totalling less than 700mb.

This is quite common with software releases where there's options for multiple operating systems etc.
Hi, Yes the CDs that I have seen as having multiple OSs in a single CD. can you please guide me how can we so that "Multiple Links to a Single set of files"?
Prabhat
http://prabhatnath.blogspot.com
Old 14-03-2007   #7
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelton
It is possible to pretend that there is more than 700MB on a CD. See this topic from a couple of weeks ago: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=211197
Hi, I have seen the link and it is the similar issue that I raised. There the reply given by "debro" as: (The actual file is written only once. The shortcut is written many times.). Still I don't understand how can we do that. Can you guide me in that?
Old 14-03-2007   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhat2007
Hi, I have seen the link and it is the similar issue that I raised. There the reply given by "debro" as: (The actual file is written only once. The shortcut is written many times.). Still I don't understand how can we do that. Can you guide me in that?
ln /path/to/file name-of-link so I ran the following commands:
ln /movie/videofile.avi link-1
ln /movie/videofile.avi link-2
ln /movie/videofile.avi link-3

This creates three links to the same file. Next I created an ISO image of the directory containing the three files and the 351MB file and burned the image to a CD. The programs used were 'mkisofs' and k3b.

It seems to have worked. I will try putting it in a Windows PC later....
Old 14-03-2007   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
I will try putting it in a Windows PC later....
Here it is. One slightly confused PC which appears to have more than 1GB on a CD.
Attached Images

Old 15-03-2007   #10
New on Forum

Quote:
Here it is. One slightly confused PC which appears to have more than 1GB on a CD.
Hi, Thanks for reply. In Windows based PC do we need to create shortcut for the files? Or how do we create link?

The CDs that I have seen (Multiple OS CDs), If we open the folder of any OS, we can see many files in that, NOT Shortcuts
Old 07-09-2008   #11
New on Forum

Hello Friends,
Sir.
Recently I have seen lots of CDs of 700mb (Windows XP 9 in 1, Windows 2003 Server 5 in 1... etc etc) which has DATA of aprox. 4GB.

If we see the property of CD it shows the SIZE around 700mb, But if we select all files in the CD and see property to find SIZE we can see the DATA size is around 4gb!

Also If we COPY the that CD using any CD Burner software (like Nero 7) we can copy the CD to another CD of 700mb.

How can we make 4GB of DATA to burn in a CD and What Softwares we need to use for that. Please guide. I have searched many places, Including this site, But did not get any help.
Sir,
I want the perfect learning procedure of burning so
Please send me samples and step by step how to do, i have lots of Data i have kept these all in several CD's wanna compress and write that all in few CD's please again i am going mention hElp hElP me.
Waiting impitiantly.

Please guide.

Regards
NOOR
Personal ID
noor-s.habib@hotmail.com

Last edited by ashinah_n@yahoo.com; 07-09-2008 at 12:27. Reason: more question
ashinah_n@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #12
Retired Moderator

These CDs don't use compression to store 4 GB - they show the same files in several folders but with the files only stored once on the CD. This means that the CD only contains 700 MB (or less) but will exand to more if you copy all the files, since the identical files will then be stored multipe times on your harddrive.

See here for more information.

Welcome to CDFreaks.
Old 02-12-2008   #13
New on Forum

I know exactually what you're talking about. About 8 years ago I unpacked an archive file of 350 MB to a whopping unheard of 2.7 GB. The archive extension is called PAK, not to be confused with HP's proprietary archive software.

The software is GNU and not proprietary, and it is windows 95, 98, and probably Windows Me, and xp compatable. It is DOS based, and can probably still be found by Googling "Ms Dos PAK Archiver.

I forgot who the programmer was, I think he was European. I hope this helps, Tara
Tarabohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #14
Senior Moderator & Editor

I think that's something different, Tara (and welcome to CD Freaks BTW ).

An archive file is usually compressed, and expanded again when needed. Its respective file sizes are real.

What the folks above are talking about is non-compressed files that are referenced multiple times; thus when added up, they appear to exceed the real capacity of the optical disc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #15

Hello, Prabhat (I don't sure your name, sorry!)

I 've understand your problem that, How to put 4GB Data on a 700mb CD such as xp 9 in 1.
So, I have same before, but now I can performrd its. If you want to do that lie me, you can do.
I take some sample pictures for you first.

Bye,

Mozza

Last edited by Kerry56; 07-07-2010 at 03:02. Reason: removed email
azcabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcabun View Post
Hello, Prabhat (I don't sure your name, sorry!)

I 've understand your problem that, How to put 4GB Data on a 700mb CD such as xp 9 in 1.
So, I have same before, but now I can performrd its. If you want to do that lie me, you can do.
I take some sample pictures for you first.

Bye,

Mozza
4 years late and grammar that needs works and to make a coherent reply...
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote