Old 09-11-2008   #1
MyCE Member

How to protect a folder/s or files from being deleted accidentally

QUESTION.

Is there a way to protect a folder/s or files from being deleted accidentally . as in I want to protect 1 folder on my Ext HDD from either me accidently deleting it or something going wrong and it being deleted without me knowing till it’s too late . is there a lock or something I can apply to a folder ?
And I know about that checkbox in recycle bin properties tab where you are asked before a file is deleted , but that does all files/folders , I just want it on 1 or a few only .

if there is an easy way please let me know . as i need this asap please .

Thanks .
ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #2
Wii Freak

Re: How to protect a folder/s or files from being deleted accidentally

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000705.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
troy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #3
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Why don't you give My Lockbox a try it is freeware and here is the link for it http://www.fspro.net/folder-lock-box/
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008   #4
MyCE Member

ok thanks , will give it a try .

i would like to try a few different ones but i dont realy know any others , can you suggest any different ones simarlar to this
Old 17-11-2008   #5
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
Is there a way to protect a folder/s or files from being deleted accidentally .
There is. Just right-click the folder or file -> properties -> check "write protect"

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008   #6
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi,There is. Just right-click the folder or file -> properties -> check "write protect"

Michael

i have xp pro , there is no write protect there . or are you refering to read only ? if so, this does nothing i can still delete the file or folder .
Old 17-11-2008   #7
Batchshrink Author

If you right-click on a file in windows explorer and then select Properties... is there a Security tab visible? If there is then you can set permissions for files and folders on a per-user basis. To prevent accidental deletion, just Deny write privileges to all the users in the list and then if you ever need to delete the file reverse the process.

If the Security tab is not visible, then google should help you enable it. I don't quite remember how I did it off the top of my head, but I think it might have been something to do with turning off simple file sharing in explorer, Tools->Folder Options... View, Advanced Settings.

Sláinte

midders
"Some people bring happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go" - Oscar Wilde
midders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008   #8
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midders View Post
If you right-click on a file in windows explorer and then select Properties... is there a Security tab visible? If there is then you can set permissions for files and folders on a per-user basis. To prevent accidental deletion, just Deny write privileges to all the users in the list and then if you ever need to delete the file reverse the process.

If the Security tab is not visible, then google should help you enable it. I don't quite remember how I did it off the top of my head, but I think it might have been something to do with turning off simple file sharing in explorer, Tools->Folder Options... View, Advanced Settings.

Sláinte

midders
ok ,
i went there and there was no security tab , so i did what u said and enabled it , now i can see the tab .
i had to uncheck simple file sharing check box . does this compromise my system at all in any way . I am the only one who users this computer as it is mine .

in the list that appears under the security tab , there are about 5 items in it . Is it possible to have a delete check box there as that does not appear in that list .

write
read
modify
full control
read/execute
special permissions

and by checking deny all as you mentioned does that only apply to the file or folder i did it on ?
Old 17-11-2008   #9
Batchshrink Author

Quote:
does this compromise my system at all in any way.
No, it actually makes it more secure since you have to specifially give users permission to access shared files.

Quote:
in the list that appears under the security tab , there are about 5 items in it . Is it possible to have a delete check box there as that does not appear in that list .
The 'Write' perission is the one that allows the file to be deleted. To protect any files from being changed deny all access apart from Read and Execute.

Quote:
and by checking deny all as you mentioned does that only apply to the file or folder i did it on ?
Yes, it only applies to the folder/file you do it on, though I think if you change the permissions for a folder then it propagates to all the files and folders within that folder.

Sláinte

midders
"Some people bring happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go" - Oscar Wilde
midders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008   #10
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midders View Post
No, it actually makes it more secure since you have to specifially give users permission to access shared files.

The 'Write' perission is the one that allows the file to be deleted. To protect any files from being changed deny all access apart from Read and Execute.

Yes, it only applies to the folder/file you do it on, though I think if you change the permissions for a folder then it propagates to all the files and folders within that folder.

Sláinte

midders
hi,
i tried it and it seems to work ok on mp PC, but the main reason i wanted it was to do that exact same thing on my ext usb drive , and it doesnt allow me to do it the same . there are only 3 options to deny , and none of them prevent deletion like it does for the PC

any suggestions on that ?
Old 18-11-2008   #11
Retired Moderator

Quote:
... but the main reason i wanted it was to do that exact same thing on my ext usb drive , and it doesnt allow me to do it the same . there are only 3 options to deny , and none of them prevent deletion like it does for the PC
Most USB (Flash) Drives come formatted as FAT(16) or FAT32 which don't support the detailed permissions that can be set for an NTFS formatted filesystem.

You could format your USB drive with the NTFS filesystem, but keep in mind that the concept of a "user" will be different if you move the drive between computers (unless they are part of the same domain).

For USB Flash Drives you may have to use an alternative way of formatting, since the usual method may not present NTFS as an option. You can use the FORMAT command line tool or a 3rd party formatter.

If you format an external drive as NTFS, you should use the Safely Eject function before removing the drive.
Old 18-11-2008   #12
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
i have xp pro , there is no write protect there . or are you refering to read only ?
Don't know how this option is called in an english Windows version, but "read only" should be correct
Quote:
if so, this does nothing i can still delete the file or folder.
Admitted, but you get a warning ("This file is write protected, do you really want to delete it?" or similar.).

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008   #13
MyCE Member

ok thanks for all the info guys. it works good.

but i still wouldn't mind finding a small app that does a simarlar thing .
i gave that lock box app a try , but there are other things it asks to install that i wasnt sure on , and one of the apps i tried , uninstalled my java/flash players, so i instantly uninstall that one , ( cant remember which one it was ) as i tried several .

i will try to keep looking for an easy app to do this .