Old 23-10-2006   #1
New on Forum

How do I back up my DVDs? Which program is good freeware?

Hey guys, I know theres someone here that will be willing to help a brotha out with this. Just wondering which DVD copying/burning software to download that I could get as freeware, if any? I'm looking to backup my dvd collection, and I'm not really sure where to start. A buddy of mine recommended DVDfab, but I'm not sure what to use. I'm running Windows XP Media Edition. Please someone give me a hand here, haha. Thanks!
AtotheJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006   #2
CE Freak

Re: How do I back up my DVDs? Which program is good freeware?

I like DVD Decrypter to rip, DVD Shrink to modify and Nero 6.x DVD Video project to burn VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD blank.

For newer encryption that DVD Decrypter can't handle, I use the RipIt4Me front end, which handles all the new stuff, then calls up DVD Decrypter, rips the disk, and calls FixVTS if you want to clean up the finished product, and then use DVD Shrink to edit out menus, fit a dual layer onto one layer and export to a VIDEO_TS folder on the hard drive.

ALL of those apps are free and work well together, by the way.
BeardedKirklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006   #3
CD Freaks Member

I would recommend RipIt4Me, which is a frontend to DVD Decrypter, FixVTS and DVD Shrink. This solution makes it possible to rip all DVD titles, even the new ARccOS or RipGuard protected ones, and then using DVD Shrink for fitting the rip to DVD5, if needed.

Another solution for ripping is DVDFab Decrypter, but i have never tried it personally, since i just love RipIt4Me

For burning then i would recommend ImgBurn.

Edit: BeardedKirklander was faster
Martin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006   #4
CD Freaks Elite

If you are going to use the free tools I would have a few of them available. Dvd decryptor and shrink were the all time favorite free combp for quite a while till dvd decryptor quit getting updated. I would recomend the same that BeardedKirklander recomended but it might not hurt to have the free version of dvd fab and a few other programs avalable. If one doesn't work on a specific movie, use another.
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006   #5
CE Freak

Can ImgBurn burn VIDEO_TS folders into DVD's?
Old 23-10-2006   #6
CD Freaks Member

Of course it can
Old 23-10-2006   #7
CE Freak

BTW, for RipIt4Me, you can download their installer, which will take care of getting things setup if you have DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink already installed.

http://www.ripit4me.org/download.html

Direct Link: http://www.ripit4me.org/RipIt4Me%20Installer.exe
Old 23-10-2006   #8
CE Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H
Of course it can
Can ya hint me on how? I had no idea it could. I'd like to try it, but it doesn't seem obvious to me on how.

Thanks
Old 23-10-2006   #9
CD Freaks Member

Of course, mate

You just startup ImgBurn, and then press CTRL+ALT+B, and then you just select your VIDEO_TS folder(or any folder with the video files), and select 'Write'. Oh, if your drive isn't listed under 'Destination', then you need to first select the little CD icon located alittle under the 'Destination' box.

Cheers
Old 23-10-2006   #10
CE Freak

So the key is the Build mode.

I don't choose Browse for Files, I click on the button just below that for Browsing for a Folder, then select the VIDEO_TS folder, put a blank in the drive and I should be good to go, eh?

I'll try it. Thanks much.

I would not have thought of the BUILD mode. I just assumed you would pick the WRITE mode and do it from there. Huh...
Old 23-10-2006   #11
Retired Senior Administrator and Review Coordinator USA

BeardedKirklander, why not use DVD Shrink to build the ISO image file instead of creating VIDEO_TS first?

Join CDFreaks Distributed Computing Team, have fun while helping to save some lives!

My review PC & Specs & Media
Blu-ray to DVD guide

Forum Rules | Blu-ray UDF Driver
BenQ/Philips FAQ and tools: BQFlasher, MCSE, WOPC Tool, WinDWFlash

LG BE06LU11 Blu-ray | LG GGW-H10N Blu-ray/HD-DVD | LG GBW-H10N Blu-ray | Panasonic SW-5582 Blu-ray
zevia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006   #12
CD Freaks Member

Yes, as long as you have your drive listed under 'Destination', then that's the way to do it(if you don't, then ImgBurn will just make an ISO to your harddrive).

You don't even need to have any VIDEO_TS folders, but you can just select a folder with e.g. the name : SAW2, and then ImgBurn pops up and asks you if you wan't to write a DVD-Video disc, since it can see that the folder contains video files, and then if you answer yes, then it asks you if it should set the filesystem to ISO9660+UDF if you had forgotten to do so before, and also asks if you wan't to name the DVD as : SAW2. Instead of having to answer yes or no to all the questions every time, then you can adjust the settings in ImgBurn to not bother you but just always do it in a certain way when DVD-Video is concerned.

ImgBurn is just the greatest burning app IMHO.
Old 23-10-2006   #13
CE Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevia
BeardedKirklander, why not use DVD Shrink to build the ISO image file instead of creating VIDEO_TS first?
I always deal with VIDEO_TS folders because it offers me the widest range of compatibility with my apps.

For instance - My Panasonic DMR-ES15 outputs to a VIDEO_TS folder when finalized. Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 opens VIDEO_TS folders directly, DVD Shrink outputs to VIDEO_TS folders directly as well. My WinDVD and PowerDVD software plays from VIDEO_TS folders also.

When I rip with DVD Decrypter, I always do it in FILE mode so I can open it in Shrink and mess with it there.

Is there any reason / advantage to using ISO instead of VIDEO_TS?
Old 23-10-2006   #14
CE Freak

Quote:
Yes, as long as you have your drive listed under 'Destination', then that's the way to do it(if you don't, then ImgBurn will just make an ISO to your harddrive).

You don't even need to have any VIDEO_TS folders, but you can just select a folder with e.g. the name : SAW2, and then ImgBurn pops up and asks you if you wan't to write a DVD-Video disc, since it can see that the folder contains video files, and then if you answer yes, then it asks you if it should set the filesystem to ISO9660+UDF if you had forgotten to do so before, and also asks if you wan't to name the DVD as : SAW2. Instead of having to answer yes or no to all the questions every time, then you can adjust the settings in ImgBurn to not bother you but just always do it in a certain way when DVD-Video is concerned.

ImgBurn is just the greatest burning app IMHO.

But if I just point it to a VIDEO_TS folder, it won't pop up and ask if I want to write a DVD Video disk because it already assumes that is what is happening, right?

I wonder why they don't have it in the WRITE area. It would seem so much more logical. I mean, the VIDEO_TS is already built, so I guess I never thought of looking under the BUILD section.

I have not put that much time into ImgBurn. I think I should investigate it more.

I still think it totally sucks that the program can't simply rip an unprotected DVD or CD to an ISO file and then burn that same file out.
Old 23-10-2006   #15
CD Freaks Member

Yes, if you add a VIDEO_TS folder, then ImgBurn knows it's a DVD-Video. I just always make RipIt4Me to output the ripped files(movie only) to a folder named after the DVD title, since then when i add that folder to ImgBurn, then the burned DVD will automatically be named after the movie title(and also since i only need one folder for every rip, instead of needing to have an additional VIDEO_TS subfolder inside every rip folder).

The reason that you can't write the VIDEO_TS folder directly, but needs to go into the Build function of ImgBurn, is that when writing to a disc, then the burning program cannot just pass some files or folders to the drive to be written, as then the burned disc couldnt be read back afterwards as the disc wouldn't be formated correctly. The burning app needs to first format the files and folders to a filesystem(ISO9660+UDFv1.02 in the case of DVD-Video), and then after the burning, the disc can be read back correctly. Also you can make an image of a DVD or CD and then write it to a disc, but if the source disc contains a bootblock(like Windows XP install discs), then that will not be transfered over.
Old 23-10-2006   #16
CE Freak

Quote:
Yes, if you add a VIDEO_TS folder, then ImgBurn knows it's a DVD-Video. I just always make RipIt4Me to output the ripped files(movie only) to a folder named after the DVD title, since then when i add that folder to ImgBurn, then the burned DVD will automatically be named after the movie title(and also since i only need one folder for every rip, instead of needing to have an additional VIDEO_TS subfolder inside every rip folder).

The reason that you can't write the VIDEO_TS folder directly, but needs to go into the Build function of ImgBurn, is that when writing to a disc, then the burning program cannot just pass some files or folders to the drive to be written, as then the burned disc couldnt be read back afterwards as the disc wouldn't be formated correctly. The burning app needs to first format the files and folders to a filesystem(ISO9660+UDFv1.02 in the case of DVD-Video), and then after the burning, the disc can be read back correctly. Also you can make an image of a DVD or CD and then write it to a disc, but if the source disc contains a bootblock(like Windows XP install discs), then that will not be transfered over.
Thank you very much. I'm burning a VIDEO_TS folder to a test DVD+RW as we speak. Using the ISO9660 + UDF as you indicated.

It's not quite as intuitive as I guess I would have liked, but since you were kind enough to help me out, I think I may be able to get it figured.

I guess in my mind, it would seem logical to see this option under the WRITE area just because in my head, it's already been built. I suppose he could have put it that menu area if he had wanted and it would still work the same, but now that I know where it is, I can work around it.

I do sorta wish the thing was formally documented better, so that there were help files created by the author right there on the web page or with the program that had an index or TOC that would list things like "How to burn a DVD Video" and stuff like that. But it seems he relies on guides written by other folks instead. Again, not as intuitive and straight-forward, but I guess that is what the IntarWeb is for (at least in part) - finding out how to do stuff from other users.
Old 23-10-2006   #17
CD Freaks Member

You are very welcome

If you run into any problems or have any further questions, then just say the word

CU, Martin.
Old 23-10-2006   #18
CE Freak

I just popped the ImgBurn created DVD+RW into my iMac and it played right off the bat, so I'm good to go. No more using Nero to burn VIDEO_TS folders - I can recommend ImgBurn to do that now.
Old 24-10-2006   #19
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedKirklander
...No more using Nero to burn VIDEO_TS folders - I can recommend ImgBurn to do that now.
Noob here... 1st post too.

What's the advantages of ImgBurn over NERO that won you over?....

BTW, BK, mucho kudos to you
I have learnt a lot reading your posts and just ordered a Litey 165H6S.
sanggarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006   #20
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanggarra

Hi sanggarra and welcome to CDF. The first and most obvious answer to your question is that Nero is not a free program and Imgburn is. That said Imgburn does just that, it just burns. You will also need another program to rip your backup to a HD folder. You have many choices. Check out the DVDMovieCopy forum and you will see what the industry has to offer.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006   #21
CE Freak

Quote:

Thanks.

I like Nero just fine, but feel that ImgBurn is a great app from a guy who seems dedicated to keeping it free. While Nero seems to be getting larger and more bloated, and drifts farther away from the needs and wants of its customer base, ImgBurn is still small enough to not only stay efficient but to stay in touch with its customer base, meaning the programmer should be more responsive to customer input.

Free stuff is just AWESOME!

Happy burning, ane welcome to the site.
Old 24-10-2006   #22
MyCE Resident

Imgburn handles the layer break on dual-layer discs much better too. Then there is the issue of ensuring 32k gaps between IFOs and BUPs. Check out this link here explaining why it's a good thing.
Never said too much to speak of
He was off on another plane
The words that he said were a mystery
Nobody's sure he was sane"
'Portrait (He Knew) ' - Kansas
sikoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006   #23
Administrator

I posted this in the cd/dvd burning sofware forum a while back, but I think it is worth mentioning again. There is a shell extension for Imgburn that will allow you to right click on a Video_TS folder and you get an option to burn with ImgBurn.

The shell is found at the bottom of this page: http://www.svcd2dvd.com/
You'll also have to have Net 2.0 installed.

It is very handy, but make sure you have Imgburn set up the way you want it (correct burner, burn speed, etc). The burn will start immediately if you have a dvd blank already in your drive.

I use the same speed (8x) for virtually all my burns these days, so I don't have a problem with this, but thought I would mention that it will use the last settings you had in Imgburn
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006   #24
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
ImgBurn can't do all the things that Nero can, but for the standard everyday life things, then it beats it hands down as it is simply just the greatest burning app. With ImgBurn you can write or build images, make data backups(without multi-session), and copy CDs/DVDs(without bootblocks).

Some of my personal reasons for using ImgBurn exclusively for all my burning needs(except for CD-DA where i use Burrrn) :

1. Designed simple and intuitive, so every project only takes a few clicks.
2. Filled with advanced settings for controlling everything like you wan't.
3. Extremely stable and bug-free
4. Smal memmory footprint and without any bloat whatsoever.
5. Freeware

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents...
Old 24-10-2006   #25
CE Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoone
Imgburn handles the layer break on dual-layer discs much better too. Then there is the issue of ensuring 32k gaps between IFOs and BUPs. Check out this link here explaining why it's a good thing.
I've never tried that. I got so used to DVD Shrink and how easy that was, I just stuck with single layer disks, since they are so much less expensive.

I probably should learn that, but I'm kinda lazy...