Old 14-10-2003   #1
New on Forum

How to copy a protected CD?

Hi,

I'm a new member. I have recently got a CD of a dictionary. A simple copy of the CD will not work out because after installing it, the program says it's not authentic. I've heard alcohol 120% can be of help, which I've got. My first trial was not successful.
Any help and tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
maxwell_student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2003   #2
Retired Administrator

Hi maxwell_student, welcome aboard!

First, you have to know what protection there's on the disc you want to copy. You can scan the copy protection either with Scout or with ClonyXXL. After doing so, depending on your hardware, the copy protection and the software you use, the disc can be copied.

I'd say: first figure out what protection is on the disc. As soon as you know that, either report back, or do a search on our forums () to see what you should do!
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2003   #3
New on Forum

Copy Control

Hey

I just did buy the new Dido cd. At home i saw that there is a copy control on. What is this ?
Can i not copy ore are there other this like harming my cd player ore cd writer when i do?

Grz
Michelangelo
michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2003   #4
CDFreaks Resident

Try Alcohol or clonecd to do it.

See if that helps and what type of burner are you using??

Look at the orange button at the top 6th over from the left. It says Search. You can use this to help !!!!
cloakdoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003   #5
New on Forum

I used ClonyXXL to figure out the protection type, which was safedisc 2. Then I used Alcohol, with the appropriate setting for the protection type, but still the CD is not known by the installed software to be authentic. Further helps and tips would be appreciated.

BTW, my CD burner is supported by Alcohol.

Regards
Old 09-11-2003   #6
Retired Administrator & Reviewer

When you say,

Quote:
BTW, my CD burner is supported by Alcohol.
what do you mean?

Can you post make, model, firmware version if you know it.
Old 10-11-2003   #7
New on Forum

SONY CD-RW CRX160E and the firmware version is 1.0e.
Old 10-11-2003   #8
Retired Administrator & Reviewer

I have figured out why your copy is not working. Although your drive is listed in the Alcohol Fourm. It has a mark next to the Alcohol Free Column. See here. This mark basically indicates your drive is not that good. You want a drive with a mark in the Alcohol 120% column. This means that your drive is (probably) not going to make successful backups of the lastest copy protections. This includes SafeDisc 2.

From The CloneCD SafeDisc 2 Thread
If your writer is not one of those listed above as a safedisc 2 killer,(Yours Is Not) it may, nevertheless, succeed in making a working copy by amplifying weak sectors when burning the image.

This option is referred to in clonecd as AWS, in blindwrite as enhance weak sectors, in alcohol 120% as bypass efm errors, and in cdmate as SAM but is not available in burnatonce, fireburner, cdrwin or nero nor AFAIK in discjuggler (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about discjuggler).

[IMPORTANT NOTE: If your writer is a known safedisc 2 killer, you should never use this option; a) it isn't necessary, and b) if you do, there is every chance you will get a coaster.]

However, you should note that there is no guarantee of success if amplifying weak sectors is necessary and results will vary from game to game and from writer to writer (even those of the same make, model and firmware) and, in the case of many writers will not work at all. You can but try, and, if it works, great; but, if it doesn't, don't be too disappointed.

So to sum up you need to use the SafeDisc 2 profile in Alcohol 120% and MAKE SURE that bypass EFM Errors is turned on. You may need to go into the options menu then profiles and change the SafeDisc 2 profile to make sure that EFM Errors in turned on. You may not as I am trying to remember what trhe default configuration is but not succeding.

You still may not get working backup though. Changing the software won't help either as the fundemental problem is your CDRW. Sorry about this, but I hope this at least you from making any more coasters. Feel free to post again or Pm if you need more help or more questions answered.
Old 11-11-2003   #9
New on Forum

Dear Womble,

Thanks for the details. I appreciate you.

Regards
Old 18-05-2009   #10
New on Forum

Re: How to copy a protected CD?

thanks
ganaa is offline   Reply With Quote