Old 30-01-2012   #1
MyCE Member

How to connect cassette deck to computer?

Can you guys help me figure this out?

I've an old audio cassette deck and an old stereo receiver, both hand-me-downs without manuals. And a second-hand computer with an unknown sound card.

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the cassette deck to the computer, via the receiver, so that I can copy some of my old cassette tapes to digital files.

I don't want to run directly from the cassette deck playback jacks to the computer, because that would mean having to disconnect the cassette deck from the receiver and reconnect it to the computer each time I want to use it to transfer a cassette. And then having to disconnect it from the computer and reconnect it back to the receiver each time I want to listen to a cassette on my stereo. (I'm an old guy with poor eyesight and painful muscles and joints, so crawling around behind the stereo is not high on my list of recreational activities).

The Teac AG-VG200 receiver has two buttons on the front labeled:

Tape 1

Tape 2 / Monitor

There's also a button labeled:

Line Straight

On the back it has two sets of RCA jacks labeled:

Tape 1 Play
Tape 2 Rec

Tape 1 Play
Tape 2 Rec

Does this give you enough info to go on to help me figure out how to hook the receiver up to the computer?
Old 30-01-2012   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: How to connect cassette deck to computer?

How about one of these things?
Old 30-01-2012   #3
MyCE Resident

I couldn't find a manual online for your receiver but looked at another models manual.
I think either of the Tape 2 Rec's is what you need to use as the input to your computer. The one that is for the Tape 2 / Monitor should let you listen at the same time. This would just be listening the same as if you weren't connected to your computer but that way you can tell what you are inputting.
A simple way to test is to connect some cheap speakers to the Tape 2 Rec . If you can hear any sound at all it should be weak. The volume control of the receiver should have no effect on the volume to the cheap speakers connected this way.
Your old audio cassette deck may have a "record out" switch that may effect the volume of the cheap speakers use to test. Usually you don't want thei set to max but that may require some trial & error . I hope this helps.
Old 30-01-2012   #4
MyCE Member

Thanks for that idea Mr. Belvedere!

I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm a low-income disabled senior barely scraping by on the ever-shrinking purchasing power on my monthly Social Security benefit, so I'd like to try to figure out how to accomplish this task with the hand-me-down hardware I have on hand.

But that does look like a snazzy little gizmo, doesn't it? Too bad it's out of stock. I might have been tempted to spring for one if the price were right.
Old 30-01-2012   #5
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
How about one of these things? (USB cassette thingy)
Can't beat an old tape deck at all.

@Clueless:
You might read the users feedback on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038OLL2Q/

As already mentioned, get an RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable and you are set.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Can't beat an old tape deck at all.
I still have two home cassette decks .
A Pioneer CT-F8282 . This one could use new drive belts but works OK if warmed up first .
The rewind can be slow.
The other works well so I usually use it .
It is a Pioneer CT-W616DR
I prefer to get a CD disc instead of recording from cassette
but I can if I need to & I do still have several cassettes.
I even have a Centrex by Pioneer 8-track RH-65 .
Old 31-01-2012   #7
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless in Seattle View Post
Can you guys help me figure this out?

I've an old audio cassette deck and an old stereo receiver, both hand-me-downs without manuals. And a second-hand computer with an unknown sound card.

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the cassette deck to the computer, via the receiver, so that I can copy some of my old cassette tapes to digital files.

I don't want to run directly from the cassette deck playback jacks to the computer, because that would mean having to disconnect the cassette deck from the receiver and reconnect it to the computer each time I want to use it to transfer a cassette. And then having to disconnect it from the computer and reconnect it back to the receiver each time I want to listen to a cassette on my stereo. (I'm an old guy with poor eyesight and painful muscles and joints, so crawling around behind the stereo is not high on my list of recreational activities).

The Teac AG-VG200 receiver has two buttons on the front labeled:

Tape 1

Tape 2 / Monitor

There's also a button labeled:

Line Straight

On the back it has two sets of RCA jacks labeled:

Tape 1 Play
Tape 2 Rec

Tape 1 Play
Tape 2 Rec

Does this give you enough info to go on to help me figure out how to hook the receiver up to the computer?
What I do with my turntable is. Output to a Marantz 2230 unbridge the preamp to the amp. Turntables have a very small output voltage so you need a preamp to boost the voltage. The output goes to phono jacks. I use a adapter. 2 RCA > 1 3.5mm stereo input to the sound card.

In your case you don't need a preamp because the voltage will work with the Aux input of you receiver.
But... Like what was said, use the tape in, output to your sound card. You will still be able to hear the audio from the receiver. The in/outputs of sound cards are usually color coded so the input is correct Blue is line-in or you can use the mic input. Inline for optimum performance. However, you need software like audacity (freeware) to record the tapes to your PC.
Link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Simple to use for basic recording purposes.

You have to adjust the input level from the deck to the PC for optimum playback.

Hope this helps
Jeff
Jeffrey_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012   #8
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey_P View Post
(...) However, you need software like audacity (freeware) to record the tapes to your PC.
Link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Simple to use for basic recording purposes.
Additionally, the tutorials on the Audacity project site are highly recommended.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012   #9
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Additionally, the tutorials on the Audacity project site are highly recommended.

Michael
Which reminds me. Since newer versions have been released since I started using Audacity I'm going to donate again.

Developers put a lot of time and effort writing code only to basically be given away for free.

Jeff
Jeffrey_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless in Seattle View Post
Thanks for that idea Mr. Belvedere!

I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm a low-income disabled senior barely scraping by on the ever-shrinking purchasing power on my monthly Social Security benefit, so I'd like to try to figure out how to accomplish this task with the hand-me-down hardware I have on hand.

But that does look like a snazzy little gizmo, doesn't it? Too bad it's out of stock. I might have been tempted to spring for one if the price were right.
Here is one for $24 although i cannot vouch if this is quality material.
Old 03-02-2012   #11
CDFreaks Resident

I wouldn't recommend one of those cassette to USB devices. They're just a cheap personal stereo with a usb 'sound card' built in. Connecting your receiver to your sound card as Jeff described should give you much better sound quality.
Ibex is offline   Reply With Quote