Old 10-07-2003   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Helllllpppp!

Hi guys ...... Im in the U.K. and new to all this dvd stuff .... Im just about to buy an internal dvd rewriter ..... I want to download video clips / movies & burn them onto dvd-/+r to play on my home dvd player .... how do i do this? Can anyone recommendan internal dvd player ..... what software do i need? do .avi files play on home dvd players? What is the best quality file format to play on my home dvd player? Are there any sites that I can go to to read about it a bit more before I waste my money on something that won't do what I want it to?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Ian
CaptainChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003   #2
MyCE Resident

First establish what kind of media your dvd writer can write. + , - or both ?

Then establish what kind of meda your dvd player(s) accept and play without error. + , - , R or RW ?

Then you will need to have a writing program to actually write the files on dvd. Nero Burning Rom is an excellent example for files as well as movies. If it's only movies , CloneDVD can also be a very good recommendation.

At last you will need to convert different media to the dvd media standard. Nero can do this , but it cannot convert anything into dvd media format. Usually your dvdwriter comes with some Pinnacle program that can do it for you.

.AVI files will not play directly from your standalone dvd player (unless it's a KISS model or something ) so you will need to do some conversion. Most dvd players can play MPEG , VCD and SVCD format as well , but then it's more suitable to do such a thing on CD-Recordables rather than relatively expensive DVD-Recordable media.
Old 10-07-2003   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

Thanks for replying so quickly .........

OK, but as far as my limited knowledge tells me, vcd's are nowhere near the quality of dvd's, or am I totally off the mark ... plus the fact that vcd's only allow about an hour of film on then, so you need 2c vcds (for example an hour & a half of footage etc).

So, for example, if I download an .avi format film/clip/etc, I need to convert it to what, to enable it to play on my home dvd (which plays PAL & NTSC)?

Sorry to be a pain.
Old 10-07-2003   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainChaos
Thanks for replying so quickly .........

OK, but as far as my limited knowledge tells me, vcd's are nowhere near the quality of dvd's, or am I totally off the mark ... plus the fact that vcd's only allow about an hour of film on then, so you need 2c vcds (for example an hour & a half of footage etc).

So, for example, if I download an .avi format film/clip/etc, I need to convert it to what, to enable it to play on my home dvd (which plays PAL & NTSC)?

Sorry to be a pain.
No pain

VCD's are indeed not the quality one might expect from DVD videostreams , but if done correctly it can be hardly noticable. Depends on the size , quality and encoding of the source of course.

You will probably need 2 or even 3 svideocd's to get a decent image quality for a full length movie.

To convert it to the DVD format you can use Pinnacle Studio , dunno if Nero does the job.

To convert it to a (S)VCD mpeg stream , you can use Cinema Craft Encoder or TMPGenc.
Old 10-07-2003   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

Back again ........ sorry!

Exactly what format to "normal" dvd's use in home dvd players?

Im snowed under with divx, mpeg1, mpeg2 etc etc ....... there seem to be loads of freeware converters available ...... which format do I need to convert the avi's to in order to just bung it in my dvd player & watch it? Im not too bothered about fancy stuff, just converting the film/music video or whatever ... oh yes .. and what "resolution" should I aim for? The higher the better?

Thank you so much
Old 10-07-2003   #6
MyCE Resident

You can view the different formats here , here and here.

For normal television , TmpgEnc will come with a suggestion for the resolution and coding options. Be sure to visit and read Chickenmans Tutorials in the Transcoding forum.
Old 10-07-2003   #7
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hello again ........

Im currently downloading a load of huge .avi files ....... is this the best format to convert to dvd (not vcd) to watch on my home dvd player, or is there another equally good (quality-wise) format that isnt quite so blimmin huge? lol

And is mpeg2 the best way to watch dvd's on the dvd player?

Cheers

Ian
Old 10-07-2003   #8
No longer with us

As the forum cop I would kindly point out that we do not allow illegal activities on this forum (which includes downloading copyrighted movies). Just so that we all understand, you are talking about trailers and other not-copyrighted movies. Maybe share us some links in this respect (good sites with nice trailers/movies are always convenient to have bookmared).

Hope you enjoy your stay and will learn a lot on this forum.

ps please use a more describing title for your posts in the future, "Helllllpppp!" will cause a lot of people to skip your post and thus you are less likely to receive an answer...
Da_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003   #9
eli
CD Freaks Junior Member

CaptainChaos

you should really check out the forums' guide and tutorial thread

it taught me a hell of a lot about burning vcd's, svcd's and dvd's and how to fix any encountered problems.

personally, i find avi files a lot easier to convert to dvd-r than other formats (eg mpeg), and the finished product seems to be of a higher standard. i don't know what other people think.. as i said, that's just a personal preferance.

enjoy your stay

eli
Old 11-07-2003   #10
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hello again ..........

Erm ......... I am still totally lost.

Ok ...... this is what Ive got ..... an .avi file that wont play on my computer at all ...... Ive got Power DVD but that doesnt want to know, Windows Media Player comes back with something about compression or something & Im totally lost.

Im a total novice & it seems extremely technical all this stuff about encoding, divx, mpeg 1/2/3/4/5/6 etc lol .....

Is it really this difficult?

Ty

Ian
Old 12-07-2003   #11
eli
CD Freaks Junior Member

because your file won't play on either power dvd or WMP.. it sounds to me like you haven't got the right codecs. download and install them and see if that helps. try here for divx codecs, or a lot of people recommend k-lite codec pack (at least i think that's what it's called!) i'm sure if you search this site though you will find out which codecs to install.

basically, the avi file needs to have the audio and video seperated and converted to an *.MPV file (video) file and the audio converted to either *.AC3 or *.MP2

then those files need authoring into *.VOB *.IFO AND *.BUP files

then those files can be burnt onto dvd!

the software does most of the hard work, you just need to set it all up correctly (as directed in the guides).

i know it all seems technical, first time i read the guide i was horrified!! but it's really easy to understand and follow (chickenman ), and you'll probably find once you've converted a couple of avi files, you won't even need the guide as much anymore.

yes, it is a bit time consuming and fiddly.. but the end results are well worth it.

hope that helps

eli

NB.. i'm a novice myself, so if anyone who has more knowledge than me wants to corect any mistakes i've made, please, feel free!!
Old 12-07-2003   #12
CD Freaks Junior Member

Great stuff ... the k-lite site seemed to download the codecs i needed, so thanks for that ... I now have a nice looking .avi with nice sound ....... Next step ....... getting that onto a dvd-r ....... What software do you recommend? I just read chickenman's tutorial etc & it seems to suggest that windows 98se isnt good enough .. my hard drive & ram is plenty big enough (40gb hard drive & 256mb ram) ...... does this mean Ive got no hope even at this early stage?

Once again .. thanks for help & advice!
Old 12-07-2003   #13
eli
CD Freaks Junior Member

software.. if you look at the DivX to DVDR tutorial it tells you exactly what software you need and where to download it!

as far as i know, windows 98se will work because my brother has that operating system and had recently started burning dvd's as per the tutorial.

you have plenty of ram.. just make sure you have at least 15GB free hard drive space!!

eli
Old 14-07-2003   #14
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hi again .........

Right! Ive just gone out & bought an NEC 1100 dvd rewriter which comes with Nero 5.5 & InCd3 ....... Is this all I need or do I need to start downloading the CloneDVD, DVDShrink/DVD2One/Dvdxcopy software too???

With regard to the Macrovision removal (not that I would, of course, ever ever do things like that), will any of the above do that too??

Thanks for all of your help in this ....
Old 14-07-2003   #15
Retired Senior Admin

Don't confuse DVD to disk with what you're doing (I read your .AVI thread). You have a DVD burner (and a damn good one for across-the-board-speeds) and you may not need to dive into SVCD as far as you thought. Take bite-size chunks and take it easy. eli gave you some great advice. The tutes will help a LOT just read them and follow the steps

...CloneDVD + de-CSS
DVD Shrink
DVD Decrypter
DVD2One + de-CSS
SmartRipper

...are for DVD-Movie to hard drive, then a DVD recordable if you so desire.

De-CSS/ing may be illegal in your country. Google is your friend as is the CloneDVD Forum right here.
Who Are YOU?
FutureProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2003   #16
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hi again ..........

Right ......... I have tried the TMPGenc with my avi "trailer", and it says that it is too big to fit on a dvd disc ...... plus the fact that the trial version only converts to mpeg-1. Yes, I know that if I buy the full version, it will convert to mpeg-2, but how do i get round the "too big to fit on disc" thing?

It has been suggested that I try "bbmpeg" (a free encoder) ...... but I know nothing about anything & Im relying on other peoples "reviews".

Sorry for being a continual pain.

Ian
Old 15-07-2003   #17
eli
CD Freaks Junior Member

erm... lol

i'm assuming you used DVD2SVCD for the conversion if you are following chickenmans guide? did you make sure you changed all six "CD size" boxes on the bitrate tab to 4400?

that's all i can think has happened, i don't know if anyone else has any suggestions though?

did you get my PM by the way?

eli
Old 16-07-2003   #18
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hi ........ Im not sure if I got your pm or not lol sorry ........

I tried to use TMPGEnc for the avi > mpeg-2 encoding, but the trial version only allows encoding to mpeg-1, so it looks like I'll have to get the TMPGEnc Plus version ....... I heard that it is much better than most other encoders .....

Do I then burn with Nero? & then sit down & relax? or do I still have more to do after TMPGEnc has encoded it?

Ty Ty Ty lol
Old 16-07-2003   #19
eli
CD Freaks Junior Member

just let me make sure we are both on the same page! lol

you have already converted the .avi file with DVD2SVCD right and you have your video .mpv and audio .mp2 or .ac3 file right?

and you are authoring via Tmpgenc DVD Author to convert those files to .IFO, .VOB & .BUP files??

and after you have done that, you have been left with an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder containg the .IFO etc files?

If the TMPGEnc trail version you are using will only allow you to do MPEG-1.. it sounds to me like you have been using the original version.. NOT the DVDAuthor version??

eli
Old 16-07-2003   #20
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hahahahaha ...... I have no idea what page Im on, eli

Right ... "no" to your question ... Im nowhere near converting the avi files yet ....... Ive still got the avi file(s) sitting on my hard drive waiting for me to do something spectacular with them!

If I buy the "full" version of TMPGEnc, I understand that I can "encode" it to mpeg-2, and thetn burn it using Nero 5.5 - is that right?

Does TMPGEnc do all the *.vob etc. etc. files when its doing whatever it does, or do I have to take out a second mortgage to afford all the software to do it? lolol

ty for your help - youre a star!

Ian
Old 16-07-2003   #21
CD Freaks Junior Member

oh yes .. I forgot ......... what about the dvd+r discs? will the ARITA/datasafe discs be ok or will they be dreadful?

ty x
Old 16-07-2003   #22
eli
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
If I buy the "full" version of TMPGEnc, I understand that I can "encode" it to mpeg-2, and thetn burn it using Nero 5.5 - is that right?
I'm starting to think we aren't talking about the same thing here!!... if you are trying to do it the same way as me, as-per-the-guide.. then forget mpeg2, nero, encoding and burning for a minute lol.. lets just make sure you have all the right software!!

The TMPGEnc version you are referring to is not the one that you need!! both the mpeg 1 and 2 versions are not DVD Author! TMPGEnc DVD Author is a completely different program.

make sure you have all the other software as indicated in the guide (or in my PM)

if you just check the guide again, it lists the places to download each piece of software, if the links are broken or the software has been removed, check the PM i sent you it will suggest a few other places for download!

i honestly couldn't tell you about the dvd+r discs because i have never used them, maybe a forum search would help?

talk to you soon lol

eli

Last edited by eli; 17-07-2003 at 02:24.
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2003   #23
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hi again ....... I dont think I got the PM you sent ...... I dont know ...... Im thinking of giving up & returning the dvd rewriter cos it seems to be really complicated & expensive way of getting dvd's lolol

Ty for your help, eli
Old 16-07-2003   #24
CD Freaks Junior Member

OOOOOh I found your PM, eli!!!!! I must be getting better lol

Right .......... It seems I need DVD2SVCD, CCE, TMPGEnc DVD Author, AC3 Machine (?) and DVDRepair ....... oh ........ & Nero ....... but the version chickenman suggested was 5,10,18 version ....... I think the version with my rewriter is 5,10,13 ....... oh noooo .... or will that do it too? lol

Anything else before I phone the bank for another loan? lolol
Old 17-07-2003   #25
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hi again ........... Right ..... Ive delved a bit deeper into all of this & this is what i "think" I need to do with my avi's ........

Software I need is .......... DVD2SVCD, CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder), TMPGEnc DVD Author, Nero (version Ive got is 5.5.10.13) ........

Is this enough or are there any more?

I was told about 2 other ....... AC3 Machine .... and DVDRepair ........ what are these & what do they do & are they really necessary & if so where do i get them?

Of course ... that is all for making my own dvds ........ I guess if I want to back up my dvd's, Virtualdub would do that all for me would it?

Thanks for any advice/help/anything else!

Ian