Old 25-08-2006   #1
CD Freaks Member

How bad does DVD look on an HDTV TV

Because I really have no desire to buy the movies I really like again.

I am also assuming a TV no larger than 60 inches and cost is no object on the DVD player (although I'd probably end up with an Oppo.)
eoniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: How bad does DVD look on an HDTV TV

Don't you mean how good?

If you click on the news in the above forum plus google there is advatages to having a HDTV or one evquivlent to it plasma lcd ect..... I heard great reviews on DLP's?
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoniverse

I am also assuming a TV no larger than 60 inches and cost is no object on the DVD player (although I'd probably end up with an Oppo.)

You post is very unclear and confusing, if you explain in little more detail what are trying to ask then members may have better answer for you and others could also benefit from it.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #4
CD Freaks Member

When the time comes to upgrade to an HDTV I will get one between 46 and 50 inches. Flat panel LCD or plasma.

What does a retail DVD movie played on a set like that look like now?

Will I have to replace my existing movies if I want to enjoy watching them on a new set like this? I don't care if the HD DVD or Blu Ray looks 'better'.

Just wondering if the DVD movie will look bad with the resizing.
eoniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #5
New on Forum

I have a 50 samsung and lg dvd player with hdmi output, the movies look great, not as good as hdtv but I would not stress over. I have seen a bluray movie at the store and it was incredible.
So if you want bluray, wait for the prices to drop and get it, not really an issue right now.
inkakiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #6
CDFreaks Resident

There are DVD players that proccess (upscale) the normal DVD signal to 1080i in order to take profit from HDTV compatible flat screens, and I've seen articles on that saying it improves image quality in a visible way.
The problem with some flat screens it that these ones have the natural definition and if the signal doesn't fit it you don't get the best image it can provide (sometimes worse that the one you get in a tube tv).
But obviously it can depend on the make of the screen, the player and the tv sys you have at "over here"land.
However,a good HDTV screen and a original HD show can be a good experience - you don't like to go back.
But not all shows meet all the conditions, and one of most frustating experience I had was to watch a HD (from scratch) show on a wall very large srceen - using a projector and a lot of expensive equipment behind it - and when it finnished came a normal DVD movie...everybody went away in less than a minute...
agomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006   #7
New on Forum

I understand your desire to only buy a movie once. I truly feel your pain - I have 300 laserdiscs sitting on shelves in my living room. Some will probably never make it onto DVD, much less any of the blue-laser formats.

To your DVD-on-HDTV question:

I have a 50" Sony SXRD and an OPPO 970. I chose the 970 over the 971 because the 970 has HDMI which makes it easier to pipe through my HDMI-switching receiver. The 970 does very good up-converting to 1080i (the best input available on the Sony SXRD when I purchased it - they may have 1080p inputs by now (?)). I've been very pleased with the picture quality and I don't hesitate buying standard-res (hopefully anamorphic) DVD movies.

Having said that, once you see HDTV at its best, you know that no upcoverting DVD player, however good it is, can provide true HDTV quality - the original bits are just not there. But it's hard not to be thrilled by some of the more recent DVDs - they look wonderful on my HDTV.

I did have a Sony upconverting DVD player (DVP70?) that I replaced with the OPPO. The OPPO picture is somewhat better and provides true blacker-than-black, but I have to say that the Sony ergonomics and player features are currently better than what OPPO provides. However OPPO promises firmware upgrades, so the potential to surpass Sony is there. Plus, the OPPO is DivX Certified!

To summarize: DVD can look very good on HDTV!

Robert
robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006   #8
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Just wondering if the DVD movie will look bad with the resizing.
I'm still kinda confused as to what you are actually talking about, but this makes me wonder if the root of your concern is scaling of image sizes? A widescreen movie will look great on a widescreen HDTV.....should look better than on an SDTV. As long as the DVD is anamorphic you will benefit from all of the resolution. Non-anamorphic can look fine too....depends on the transfer...but non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs are pretty much a thing of the past.

Non-widescreen DVDs should look fine too. Most TVs will allow you to view in 4:3 mode which will have pillar boxes to the left and right. There are also other zoom modes available. My Sony has a WideZoom mode, which is a non-linear stretch mode. This allows a 4:3 movie to entirely fill the screen. The stretching is noticeable, but doesn't bother me.

Is this helping any?
Chad T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:

Read the comparison on this following link:

http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/dlptelevision.html
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote