Old 21-01-2009   #1
New on Forum

hdtv.avi to 720p.hdtv.x264.mkv

Hi everyone,

im pretty much a newbie to video conversion..my knowledge about video conversion is very little..so forgive me if i'm asking a silly or stupid question

is it possible to convert a video recorded from hdtv but has been converted to avi using XviD codecs and mp3 audio into a video with 720p,x264 codecs and put into mkv..since the video is HDTV then i won't be losing quality or the 720p anyways right??i want a 1280x720p resolution also...

what softwares/tools recommended??once gain,my apologies if this question is not appropriate to ask here since this is a dvd forum??but ive been googling for days without luck,until i saw this website and forum...

thanks...have a nice day everyone
dhyane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009   #2
Administrator

Re: hdtv.avi to 720p.hdtv.x264.mkv

Any conversion is going to degrade the quality to some degree. Whether you can notice it on playback is another question and depends on the conversion programs/process you choose.

What resolution is the current avi in?

You can convert xvid avi to X264 .mkv using MeGui. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MeGUI
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009   #3
New on Forum

Hi Kerry,thanks for the quick reply

the current avi video resolution is 624x352...not good huh??so if i want to create a 720p x264.mkv i should start from the beginning and not from an already compressed video??

i shall try MeGUI..do i need any other softwares or codecs??
Old 21-01-2009   #4
Administrator

It is always better to start from original source and not a compressed file like that.

Megui should be self contained....it includes a lot of different programs, and it has an updater built in, so let the updater do its job. Megui is not the friendliest user interface in the history of programming, so you might want to look through some of the guides there at the link I gave you.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009   #5
New on Forum

i finally understand now

thank you so much Kerry for the well informative answer!!

i shall visit the link and see what i can find...

thanks again..have a nice day!!
Old 21-01-2009   #6
MyCE Resident

Besides the Megui suggestion,there's Xvid4PSP,which is a little more user friendly..At least for me that is....Try it!....

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009   #7
New on Forum

hey t0nee1,thanks for the info...

but if im going to convert a HDTV video that has already been compressed into XviD avi, into a 720p HDTV x264.mkv video,then the conversion would be pointless right??i wouldn't be able to achieve the same quality and resolution that comes from an original 720p.hdtv.x264.mkv...
Old 22-01-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

As kerry56 stated above,

"Any conversion is going to degrade the quality to some degree.
"It is always better to start from original source....

Is the converting from a 624x352 low quality compressed Xvid/avi source,to a higher quality 720p.hdtv.x264.mkv pointless? Well ,it's not going to look any better than your source so, yes....
Garbage in,garbage out......But if it looks good through your eyes,then that's all that matters,right?

If you convert a 128kbps MP3 to a higher 320kbps mp3,will you increase it's quality? No....And besides having a larger file size,you've now degraded the quality some more by converting.....
Best to start with original source when converting from one format to another...

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009   #9
New on Forum

yeah..the conversion would look awful and i would be wasting time..anyways,i'm going to start from scratch..lol,i have so much to learn but i'm glad i found this forum..t0nee1 and Kerry56,you both have given me information that i could not find anywhere else..really. i want to say a big thank you to the both of you...more question coming up in the future..hehe...