Old 14-01-2011   #1
Administrator

Has anyone noticed what has happened to Zipzoomfly?

I used to buy most of my computer parts from Newegg, Zipzoomfly and Mwave, but looking at ZZF these days, it is a shell of what it once was. Virtually nothing is in stock. They have stopped participating in Reseller Ratings, and their reputation is horrible over the last year.

Looking at the Better Business Bureau, their accreditation was revoked 01/05/2011 "due to failure to respond to one or more customer complaints filed with the BBB."

Here is the page at Reseller Ratings with dozens of angry customer reactions: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ZipZoomFly

Just thought I'd post this as heads up for anyone considering an order with them.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011   #2
KTL
MyCE Resident

Re: Has anyone noticed what has happened to Zipzoomfly?

ZZF will be the last price I would order from again. I had an outstanding rebate that they never honored after I had called the rebate processing company, which had claimed ZZF didn't have any funding. So I wrote complaints to California's Attorney General and BBB. The AG contacted ZZF and ZZF responded that they would honor it eventually, but we'll see if that occurs.
Old 14-01-2011   #3
MyCE Resident

I think ZZF is about to go under / out of business from the weak economy and other places like
newegg and Tigerdirect under pricing and out selling them on just about everything all I can say
is good riddance to them and their over priced stuff.

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011   #4
MyCE Resident

They have been falling off for quite a while now!
and not honoring rebates has put the final nail in the coffin

R.I.P. ZipZoomFly

Being mediocre just doesn't kick it anymore
Old 14-01-2011   #5
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind

Yo-

My experiences indicate that 7 out of 10 times - Amazon will be cheaper than Newegg and 10 out of 10 times - cheaper than ZipZoomFly - so guess where I spend my money-eh!!

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011   #6
MyCE Junior Member

I used to shop ZZF, the Egg and Tiger every time I needed a component, but it's been a while -- while NewEgg is great, it's a bit disconcerting for the field to be winnowed down this way. Amazon may have decent pricing on some things, but the shipping time is usually the dealbreaker. And TigerDirect has gone the Amazon Prime route, wanting cash up front for free shipping. At least Amazon gives the option of free shipping.
Powderhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

Yeah. ZZF will probably go under.. unless they find some way to turn things around. Etail is a cutthroat business. Newegg and Amazon know that size and customer loyalty matters and many times will go the extra mile to make sure customers review them well (not in EVERY case, mind you). When I built my system.. I think I used EWIZ (superbiiz.com) as part of my system build b/c Newegg jacked up prices on the motherboard & kept them there. Coincidentally, did anyone notice the Intel socket 1155 2500k chip intro @ 209.99 then spike up to $225 upon official launch? Cute. I wouldn't buy the new sandybridge.. I think it's crap & unnecessary to release yet another quad core chip line & proprietary socket.

If you're looking to replace ZZF / Mwave as etailers of choice.. you don't have to look far: Ewiz (superbiiz.com) and Directron.com (Texas startup, of all places..) tend to give newegg a run for their money on computer components. Perhaps more if people will buy from them even if NE or amazon is a $1 more.. I don't really trust the multifaced: tigerdirect , compusa, circuitcity (SYSTEM MAX PARENT) etail. Sure they undercut & scoop NE on deals. but the companies' they bought went bankrupt & screwed ALOT of customers in the end of their old lives.Scooping New Egg with a $59 2tb hard drive isn't gonna make up for that. There's also Frys.. which if they would get better shipping deals could actually compete with NE on certain items.

Know any other good up & coming etailers.. post 'em here
tmc8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011   #8
MyCE Resident

Wow! ZZF has gone straight to hell! I never did business with them myself, because every time they had one of their "free shipping" sales, they would always jack the prices up to compensate, negating the savings. Very shady on their part. Because of this and other similar practices, they were never price competitive for me. I have my issues with other retailers, but at least you can get a sense of whether you're actually saving any money.

The one thing I can recommend from what I've heard is that some of the less well-known e-tailers like Ewiz, do a much better job of shipping OEM (bare) hard drives than Amazon, NewEgg, and the like. That's one of the great failings of the big boys, their shoddy packing of delicate equipment. Normally, I only buy retail packaged hard drives for this reason, but if I can find an e-tailer who knows how to ship OEM drives the right way, I'll give them my business, even if it costs a little more.
negritude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #9
MyCE Senior Member

I will always have a soft spot for ZZF. It is there that I bought my first BenQ 1620 and then a 1640 when it first came out. With that being said, I don't even look there anymore. For the last two years, their prices have been horrible. I have also noticed that I haven't gotten a newsletter from them in a long time.
dreamliner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012   #10

I remember when I used to go to ZZF ahead of Newegg, way way back in the early 2000s, they had good prices back then (and they honored their rebates). Shame to see their demise over time.

Pretty much only buy from Newegg and Amazon now, Tigerdirect has never once shipped an item to me without having problems so I try not to use them.
Vanquished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012   #11
MyCE Resident

As of May 2012, the ZZF website is down, and replaces with it a portal generally used to replace popular website names-- as a search engine (the proverbial billboard).

This is not surprising.. the economy obviously couldn't handle more then 6 or 7 good etail stores for electronics and computer equipment (in addition to .com's of brick and mortar stores). This thread's not been posted about since.. alot of how a company does is directly related to how they deal with customers and if you look at their wiki, it was time to pack it in..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZipZoomfly

Eventually, there will be more etail electronics stores.. give it time.. the PC biz is in quite a funk due to the economy and lack of innovation.
tmc8080 is offline   Reply With Quote