Old 11-12-2004   #1
New on Forum

First DVD burner(I/O Magic IDVD16DD) and burn mode questions

I finally bought myself a DVD burner! (My five stacks of 100 pack free after rebate CD-Rs have now become useless. My Philips CD-RW/DVD-ROM is jealous.)

I picked up the I/O Magic IDVD16DD from the Staples black Friday deal. I know it is rebadged, but what is so special about the BenQ DW1620/1620A? I love this drive so far, very quiet.

While I was there I picked up a stack of Teon DVD+R 8x. I did my first two burns today and the first one turned out poopy. I should know better than to screw with the default settings. My first burn was 4.2gbs of AVI video files, ISO and I changed it to Max. 31 Chars Level 2 in Nero 6. It burned just fine, didn't even make my computer slow down. Testing the DVD, there were 25 files total, the first half of them were fine, the rest of them would cause explorer/Winamp/WMP to temporarilly lock up. I did some searching and found that UDF or UDF/ISO was the better choice apparently. I burned it again in UDF/ISO mode and it worked fine in all of my drives!

I checked out the firmware on my drive, and it isn't B or G as many have posted. It is actually A071 and the drive shows up as DVDRW IDE 16x.

1.) What is so special about the BenQ DW1620/1620A?
2.) Teon DVD+R 8x, good or bad?
3.) DVD+R or DVD-R? I don't make DVD Videos, just data backup.
4.) ISO or UDF? UDF seems the better choice.
Washuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #2
Bob
Resident lunatic

Location: Looking for my zigzags ~ I come from the no place and i go to the no where
Re: First DVD burner(I/O Magic IDVD16DD) and burn mode questions

You have a BTC drive not a BenQ

Click HERE to join CDFreaks.com

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling56
You have a BTC drive not a BenQ
Is this a good or a bad thing?
Old 11-12-2004   #4
New on Forum

Re: 30% quality!

Not being able to edit posts is the most moronic idea ever, sorry. Onwards...

Burned with Teon DVD+R 8x at 8x speed. It might be the media, but AAAHHH! It started out at 98%, around 10% completed with the test it jumped to 70%, then 38% and hit 30% around the end of the disk. I have another test going on the AVI file disc I mentioned in my first post and held steady at 50% quality.

This is day fifteen on the Staples return policy and I already sent in the rebate. Not like being stuck up at college for finals would have allowed me to return it either. *sighs*

EDIT: From Staples.com, not sure if it applies in store. "During the Holiday Season, any technology or furniture products purchased between 11/14/04 and 12/24/04 may be returned until 1/08/05 or as regular policy allows, whichever is later." *crosses fingers*

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
Old 11-12-2004   #5
Bob
Resident lunatic

Location: Looking for my zigzags ~ I come from the no place and i go to the no where

I ran some tests on the one i got and it sounds like the same as yours. I took mine back the next day. But you might want to see if they have any with G or B firmware and exchange. Then you will have a BenQ.

Click HERE to join CDFreaks.com

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #6
New on Forum

I made this lengthy post in the BTC Forum: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=117952

Did some tinkering with the firmware and now it is spitting out decent DVD discs in the 90%-100% range.