Old 03-06-2011   #1

Firmware for Memorex 24x DVD Recorder (MRX-550LE v1) is totally MIA

Hi there, everyone. So, I've got a dilemma on my hands that I'm hoping someone can help me resolve.

I have an external usb Memorex 24x DVD Recorder (MRX-550LE v1; Part No. 32020019439) which I bought brand new less than 6 months ago. My computer crashed about a week ago and I've had to reinstall Win XP SP3 and all the rest of my software.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

The problem(s):

• My firmware installation CD won't work because it's become unreadable.

• Windows PnP will only recognize the device as a CD writer.

• Memorex's online support does not even list this device as one of their products (although it's clearly still out on the market...urrrrgh!!), so there's no firmware download for it.

• Memorex phone support attempt was ridiculously unhelpful (though I may actually try again for some reason)

• I tried to download the firmware for a discontinued 20x burner here, since, aside from the max burn speed designation, it's identical to the 24x (and also because I had no other choice). The install failed, with an error message that said there was no device attached and that the firmware was only for that specific device.

• I've searched exhaustively for alternate download locations, drivers, work-around fixes.... nothing...zero...zilch.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This thing is too bulky to use as a coaster/paper weight and too small to pass as furniture. I am so totally at my wit's end. :-(

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by stellarius8o9; 03-06-2011 at 17:15.
stellarius8o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Firmware for Memorex 24x DVD Recorder (MRX-550LE v1) is totally MIA

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-7c163b53466a
Old 07-06-2011   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
Thanks, Mr. B, for the link referral. I actually came across that page as I was researching and before I found this site. Unfortunately, what's being addressed here doesn't apply to my problem. The issue isn't that the drive is not being recognized, but that 1.) it's being recognized as a CD ROM drive and not a DVD RECORDABLE drive. 2.) I can't fix the problem by updating the firmware for it because, according Memorex's (the manufacturer's) website, the product doesn't exist. Thanks for trying, though. Memorex should pay you, as you've actually been more help to me so far than they have.
stellarius8o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #4
MyCE Resident

Re: Firmware for Memorex 24x DVD Recorder (MRX-550LE v1) is totally MIA

Memorex seems to have no support indeed, as one poster in the Microsoft Answers already mentioned.

Could you try the drive in another computer system?
Old 07-06-2011   #5
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarius8o9 View Post
I have an external usb [B]Memorex 24x DVD]Recorder (MRX-550LE v1; Part No. 32020019439) which I bought brand new less than 6 months ago.
Okay. So this is a rebadged Liteon, LG or Samsung drive. The good thing: this unit is covered by warranty (normally at least).
Quote:
My computer crashed about a week ago and I've had to reinstall Win XP SP3 and all the rest of my software.
Did you use this drive for reinstallation?
Quote:
The problem(s): [*]My firmware installation CD won't work because it's become unreadable.
Delivering a firmware update on CD with a new drive is, *cough* strange. So I doubt you have a firmware installation CD.
A bad disc can happen, though. Nothing to blame the drive.
Quote:
Windows PnP will only recognize the device as a CD writer.
What does Device Manager report? How is the drive displayed in "my Computer" exactly? Drive without disc inserted and system fresh rebooted.
Windows XP has no support for DVD writing, and that a DVD drive is often displayed as CD drive is a bug ^W feature of Windows XP explorer.
Quote:
Memorex's online support does not even list this device as one of their products (although it's clearly still out on the market... so there's no firmware download for it.
There is no firmware related issue.
Try the drive with another computer. If there is the same problem, then contact the vendor and have it fixed under warranty.
Quote:
I tried to download the firmware for a discontinued 20x burner ,
Big mistake.
Quote:
since, aside from the max burn speed designation, it's identical to the 24x
What made you sure this assumption was correct?
Quote:
(and also because I had no other choice).
Wrong firmware is never a choice. Apart from that, your problems are most likely not firmware related at all.
Quote:
The install failed, with an error message that said there was no device attached and that the firmware was only for that specific device.
Flashing the wrong firmware is an excellent method to kill a drive. Perhaps drowning in the toilet or treating with a hammer is more fun. You can really be glad that there was some compatibility check in the firmware update utility.

Quote:
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This thing is too bulky to use as a coaster/paper weight and too small to pass as furniture. I am so totally at my wit's end. :-(
As already mentioned: Try with another computer. Additionally you can try on your own system running Linux from a Live CD (Ubuntu for example). If the problems are present there, also, then it's time to RMA.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #6
Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi,Okay. So this is a rebadged Liteon, LG or Samsung drive.
Yeah I found this thread.

Looks like it might be a rebadged Liteon so it should be possible to cross flash it.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #7
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Yeah I found this thread.
which is about a totally different drive than the unit of the thread starter.

Quote:
Looks like it might be a rebadged Liteon so it should be possible to cross flash it.
Not necessarily, and I wouldn't even think of crossflashing. Especially since there is no firmware related problem, and the unit might be new enough to be covered by warranty.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011   #8
Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
which is about a totally different drive than the unit of the thread starter.

Not necessarily, and I wouldn't even think of crossflashing. Especially since there is no firmware related problem, and the unit might be new enough to be covered by warranty.

Michael
Sorry Michael, that post of mine was badly constructed.

All I was really saying was that Liteon made a variety of drives for Memorex at the time and if we were trying to establish who actually made the drive, that they were the most likely candidates to search for.

As it happens I can't find any details regarding any firmwares for this drive at all, which is somewhat unusual, so it's a bit academic anyway I suppose.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote