Old 28-12-2005   #1
New on Forum

DVD player plays some commercial DVDs but not others

I apologize if this has been addressed before. I did a search but didn't get anything.

I have an Entiveo DP3220 DVD player that was given to me 2 years ago as a gift. At the time, I did not have any DVDs. I have used the machine only a few times over the past 2 years to play commercial DVDs, and it worked fine each time.

This Christmas, I received a set of Pink Panther DVDs (6 DVDs). Two of the DVDs play fine on the player. When I try to play the other four, I get "Disc Loading" for several seconds, then the DVD ejects. I thought it would be very odd that 4 out of 6 DVDs in a set would be bad -- so I put one of the ones that wouldn't play in my computer DVD drive. It played fine on the computer.

I am totally baffled by this. These are commercial DVDs, all part of one set. Two will play fine on the DVD player. Four will not, but will play fine on my computer.

Any insight into what's going on or what I can do would be appreciated.
Scotti1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: DVD player plays some commercial DVDs but not others

Pressed DVD discs can also be of poor quality unfortunately. What kind of DVD burner do you have? Some burners allow you to perform a so-called PI/PO test which basically means a test to measure the amount of errors present on a DVD disc. If your burner supports this then I would perform such as test and post the results here so we can have a look. If the discs show high error levels then they're the problem. Of course, it could also be that your DVD player is too picky or its laser has had its best days.
Old 29-12-2005   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Silly question, and forgive for asking, but while I understand these are commercial DVD's, are they new? or a regifted used set? Are unplayble discs smudged or scratched in any way on the read side?

Also, just a thought also.. and others please toss in on this one, perhaps running a lense cleaner on the set top box, as it's been sitting in the upen for a couple years with rare use.
My Current Rig:Nvidia Gforce4 MX 4000 128meg, Biostar M7NCD, AthalonXP 2500+, 512meg DDR2700 1x 512, NEC 2510A, Matshita DVD-RAM LFD310, 160gig via 2x 80gig IBM Deskstar, 400watt ps, Win98SE, Chieftech Tower with extra fans and flashy lights,,,,I find the lights annoying and cool at the same time..hmm

Rig 2:Nvidia Riva TNT2 Pro 32meg, Gigabyte 7ZXE F9, AthalonXP 2100+, 640meg PC133 2x 256 / 1x 128, LG 52x24x52x, Creative DVD-Rom DVD2240E, 120Gig via 1x 40gig WDC400BB-00DKA0 / 1x 80gig ST380021A, 300watt ps, Firewire, XpPro SP1, Generic Mid tower case.

Rig 3:800 Duron, Crap ass cirrus 2 meg video card, 55 gig via 1x 15 gig seagate, 1x 40 gig IBM deskstar. 512 meg ram pc133 (I'm so proud..lol )

Old 29-12-2005   #4
New on Forum

ZigZag Man, the DVDs are brand new, sealed package. I can see no scratches or smudges on the read side -- and, as I said, they play fine on my computer. I will try a lens cleaner.

G@M3FR3@K, I'm not sure how to do the test you suggested. When I put the DVD in my computer drive, it immediately begins playing. How would I find out if my burner will do the test? Also, is it really possible that the laser on the DVD player "has had its best days" when it's only been used 3 or 4 times? Wouldn't that only happen with heavy (or at least regular) use?

If the DVD player is "too picky" how can I make sure I don't get another "picky" one if I replace it? Is this a common malady of DVD players? I can't believe people would put up with that in general.
Old 29-12-2005   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

Location: Sometimes I am Here... and sometimes I am There... and sometimes I am neither Here nor There.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotti1219
ZigZag Man, the DVDs are brand new, sealed package. I can see no scratches or smudges on the read side -- and, as I said, they play fine on my computer. I will try a lens cleaner.

G@M3FR3@K, I'm not sure how to do the test you suggested. When I put the DVD in my computer drive, it immediately begins playing. How would I find out if my burner will do the test? Also, is it really possible that the laser on the DVD player "has had its best days" when it's only been used 3 or 4 times? Wouldn't that only happen with heavy (or at least regular) use?

If the DVD player is "too picky" how can I make sure I don't get another "picky" one if I replace it? Is this a common malady of DVD players? I can't believe people would put up with that in general.
Reading the reviews that others posted about your player Here, it seems others have had problems with the Entiveo DP3220.

"How can I make sure I don't get another "picky" one if I replace it"?

I can vouch for the Panasonic S29 Here. It does not play DivX or Xvid but it plays Mpeg2 beautifully. It also decodes 24 frame 'film' movies accurately.

Regards,
Old 29-12-2005   #6
Senior Moderator

Quote:
How would I find out if my burner will do the test?
By telling us which DVD burner you use (manufacturer plus model) Even better would be to run Nero InfoTool and post the log contents here for us to take a look at.
Old 29-12-2005   #7
etp
MyCE Resident

Some have FW updates at their sites! Go and check! I know the LITEON stand alones do!
Old 30-12-2005   #8
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by G@M3FR3@K
By telling us which DVD burner you use (manufacturer plus model) Even better would be to run Nero InfoTool and post the log contents here for us to take a look at.
I use the DVD player/burner that came with my Dell Dimension 3000 Series computer. All it says is 16x DVD-ROM Drive.

Drive Information
------------------
Drive : TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C
Type : DVD-ROM Drive
Firmware Version : DE02
Buffer Size : 256 KB
Date : ?
Serial Number
Vendor Specific :
Drive Letter : D:\
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 8.0 X
Write Speed : n/a

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : Yes
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : No
Write CD-RW : No
Write DVD-R : No
Write DVD-RW : No
Write DVD-R DL : No
Write DVD+R : No
Write DVD+RW : No
Write DVD+R DL : No
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : No
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : n/a

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 1
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Disc Information (D:\)
-------------------
Type : DVD Video
Capacity : 6.24 GB
Layers : 2
Version : 1
Disc Size : 12 cm

File System : ISO9660, UDF
Title : THE_PINK_PANTHER
Date : 8 January 2004
Publisher : n/a
Application : n/a

I read the reviews of the Entiveo DP3220 at the link that was posted. Looks like a few people have done okay with it but more have not.

Thanks to all for help and patience. I am not a "DVD person". Not in the least. It's all new to me.

Last edited by Scotti1219; 30-12-2005 at 01:26.
Old 30-12-2005   #9
Senior Moderator

You're using a DVD-ROM to play your discs I see, sorry but in that case you can't perform the tests I was talking about as they only work in certain DVD burners. Sorry My advice would be to try the discs in some other players and if they fail to play properly in those players as well then I would try to get them replaced. If other players play the discs properly then your DVD player is too picky.

Quote:
Thanks to all for help and patience. I am not a "DVD person". Not in the least. It's all new to me.
We all had to start somewhere!
Old 30-12-2005   #10
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by G@M3FR3@K
You're using a DVD-ROM to play your discs I see, sorry but in that case you can't perform the tests I was talking about as they only work in certain DVD burners.
LOL I was wondering about that. I don't see myself ever burning DVDs. No desire to do so. I would just like to watch some of my favorite movies that happen to be on DVD.

I don't have access to any other DVD players to test the discs -- all I know is that the ones that don't play on my Entiveo DVD player, do play on my computer (however, sitting at my computer watching a movie is not my idea of a good time).

I will look into acquiring the Panasonic model that was suggested by feedback10k.

Thanks again to all.
Old 03-01-2006   #11
New on Forum

Just thought I'd give an update -- in case anyone else does a search on this topic.

We played the two Pink Panther DVDs (out of six) that worked. Then we played another new DVD (Alfred Hitchcock) that worked. After that, we threw caution to the wind and tried one of the Pink Panther DVDs that had previously not worked. It played. No problem.
Old 03-01-2006   #12
CD Freaks Senior Member

Location: Sometimes I am Here... and sometimes I am There... and sometimes I am neither Here nor There.:)

Quote:
Just thought I'd give an update -- in case anyone else does a search on this topic.

We played the two Pink Panther DVDs (out of six) that worked. Then we played another new DVD (Alfred Hitchcock) that worked. After that, we threw caution to the wind and tried one of the Pink Panther DVDs that had previously not worked. It played. No problem.
Glad everything worked out for you.

Was your success due to your buying the Panasonic S29 I recommended?

If it was, you may want to enable the auto-power off feature. The unit is energy star compliant and the unit will power off after 30 minutes of inactivity if it is enabled, thus saving power and wear and tear on the unit.

Regards,
Old 03-01-2006   #13
etp
MyCE Resident

We need to know! LOL How did you fix the problem!
Old 19-01-2006   #14
New on Forum

LOL - sorry for the confusion.

We did NOT buy a new player. We are using the same player that was giving us trouble. We did not do anything to "fix" it.

We played the two Pink Panther DVDs (out of a set of six) that had worked all along. Then we played another new DVD (from a different set), and that worked okay, so we were relieved about that.

Then, just for grins, we went back and tried one of the Pink Panther DVDs that had previously NOT worked. (We had tried it several times without success on that same machine.) It played without any problem. I have no idea why.

So I guess my purpose in posting this update is to say, "Don't give up. Keep trying different things. You are not in control. The machine is in control." LOL!
Old 19-01-2006   #15
CDFreaks Resident

I'm still gonna go with "dirty lens", or "dodgy disc quality".

I'd clean the lens just on principle.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006   #16
etp
MyCE Resident

Quote:
LOL - sorry for the confusion.

We did NOT buy a new player. We are using the same player that was giving us trouble. We did not do anything to "fix" it.

We played the two Pink Panther DVDs (out of a set of six) that had worked all along. Then we played another new DVD (from a different set), and that worked okay, so we were relieved about that.

Then, just for grins, we went back and tried one of the Pink Panther DVDs that had previously NOT worked. (We had tried it several times without success on that same machine.) It played without any problem. I have no idea why.

So I guess my purpose in posting this update is to say, "Don't give up. Keep trying different things. You are not in control. The machine is in control." LOL!
That happens all the time with my 5005!