Old 07-02-2009   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

DVD Playback; DVD Player vs Computer

For some reason, when I play DVD's using my computer (Windows Media Classic) the video seems distorted.

This kinda makes sense to me, considering that DVD's are encoded (in original DVD format Spec) at 720 x 400 (or something simliar to that). I have a 22" Monitor, with a resolution set at 1680 x 1050. At full screen, 720 x 400 (again, whatever the resolution is), its no where near 1680 x 1050, and therefore it is logical to assume that the distortion is from streching the video to a larger resolution. (I think the term is pixelation)

If this is true, why then are standalone DVD players able to playback DVD's on multiple screen sizes (I guess that means they have different resolutions aswell?) without distorting the video.

As an example, a DVD seems to be slightly distorted on my 22" monitor, yet it plays in perfect quality on my 40" flatscreen TV using a standalon DVD player, aswell as on another 26" TV.

Why does this happen and How is a standalone DVD player able to playback in perfect quality as mentioned above?

-and-

Is there a way to acheive this perfect playback quality on my computer?
namelessNewJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #2
Administrator

Re: DVD Playback; DVD Player vs Computer

Video signal scaling (shamelessly stolen and modified by me from the hiddenwires website)
Step 1
The video source (dvd player in this case) will output a resolution signal that is different to the TV's native resolution.

Step 2
This video signal passes through a video processor called a scaler. This scaler has a processing chipset that upscales or downscales the received video signal to match the native resolution of the TV's screen.

Step 3
The scaler sends this processed signal to the screen to display the image in the TV's native resolution.

This is why LCD tv's of various sizes play dvds well. You can also have a dvd player that upscales to the native resolution.

NTSC dvds (US) are 720 x 480 normally.
Pixelation is not a part of this, and refers to problems in video encoding or playback.
I see no distortion on my computer playback of dvds by the way.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #3
CD Freaks Rookie

I appreciate the answers!

But, I can definatley tell the difference between PC and DVD player...

I couldn't take a screenshot, doesn't seem like WMC allows people to do that..

An example of what I mean is a white wall. In this one particular movie, the wall seems to be static-ish, as if there were small moving dots... I don;t really know how to show you, but there definatley is a difference.

Even using WinDVD I can tell that there is a difference..

EDIT -
Here is a screenshot using Windows Media Player and the K-Lite Codec Pack.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

Its not as bad as WinDVD, but its not far from it.

Please notice areas such as her arm, where the distortion is most obvious.
This is a copy of a DVD, shrunk to fit on a DVD SL disk, however, it plays back beautifully on my Standalone DVD player. (Im not sure what upconverting is, but it definatley doesnt support it; its a 40 dollar DVD player from walmart)

*Please note that the screenshot is the same quality as the DVD; there is no quality loss due to the screenshot (.PNG image type)
Old 07-02-2009   #4
Administrator

WinDVD should have a screenshot saver. Media Player Classic HomeCinema and PowerDVD do also.

You may be experiencing some video driver problems. Have you checked for an update?
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #5
CD Freaks Rookie

New screenshot added. And yes, I am using the current video driver.
Old 07-02-2009   #6
MyCE Resident

I also have WinDVD and your version seems to look like mine as well but I never had the problem your having? What version of WinDVD are you running?? You sure your not trying to play a pal video and not a nstc video? You sure you didn't extend and configure by resizing the video yourself instead of using the max screen configuration??? It seems to from looking at the video that some has stretched the screen without properly using the maximizing feature of WinDVD correctly. I play my dvd movies on my computer just cause computer monitor are better are watching. Cause the GPU and Monitor are of higher quality and can perform better and can be customized for better viewing.

Last edited by coolcolors; 07-02-2009 at 06:21. Reason: revise
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

K-Lite Codec Pack may be causing this?
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #8
CD Freaks Elite

It just looks like a settings problem to me. You have the option to stretch to fit (what it looks like it is doing) or have black bars if the aspect ratio is different. It could be setting in your software or your video card causing it. What video card (or what onboard video) do you have?
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripit View Post
It just looks like a settings problem to me. You have the option to stretch to fit (what it looks like it is doing) or have black bars if the aspect ratio is different. It could be setting in your software or your video card causing it. What video card (or what onboard video) do you have?
Yup the Aspect Ratio is wrong.
MysticEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripit View Post
Im using an Nvidia PCI geforce 6200.

If I shouldn't be using the strech to fit option, how else can I watch the DVD in fullscreen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticEyes View Post
Yup the Aspect Ratio is wrong.
How do I fix it? Does that mean that the aspect ratio of the DVD I'm trying to play is wrong, or is the aspect ratio incorrectly configured in WinDVD or my Gfx Card?
Old 07-02-2009   #11
MyCE Resident

Have you read WinDVD's Help?
camellote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
How do I fix it? Does that mean that the aspect ratio of the DVD I'm trying to play is wrong, or is the aspect ratio incorrectly configured in WinDVD or my Gfx Card?
I'm confused, it looks like WindowsMediaPlayer11?

Quote:
the video seems distorted.
By 'distorted' do you mean the height to width?

Quote:
If I shouldn't be using the strech to fit option, how else can I watch the DVD in fullscreen?
In WMP11 and MPC, alt+enter fullscreens the video.

Your screenshot is off. There should be no side/pillar bars. It should look like this (assuming 16:9):
Attached Images

MysticEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #13
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticEyes View Post
I'm confused, it looks like WindowsMediaPlayer11?

By 'distorted' do you mean the height to width?

In WMP11 and MPC, alt+enter fullscreens the video.

Your screenshot is off. There should be no side/pillar bars. It should look like this (assuming 16:9):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessNewJersey
EDIT -
Here is a screenshot using Windows Media Player and the K-Lite Codec Pack.

Its not as bad as WinDVD, but its not far from it
no, I mean the image seems pixelated.

That's exactly how it looked on my screen.

It's when I'm in full screen that the video seems pixelated; blurry and low quality. Imagine the opposite of "Hi-Def"
How can I watch it in fullscreen without distorting it?