Old 30-06-2006   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

DVD drive won't eject

One of my two DVD burners (Sony DRU-810) won't eject discs, either by right-clicking the drive and selecting "Eject" or by pushing the eject button. The drive's Properties look exactly the same as my other drive, which does eject properly. OS: WinXP. Can anyone suggest a possible cause/solution?
reynald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DVD drive won't eject

Did you try restarting your Computer??
scotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

i have a benq1640 (which is what a sony dru 810a is a rebadge of) and occasionally get this problem.

i have no idea why it happens, and it only happens once in a great while to me.

i just stick a pin in the little hole below the tray and it pops out a little. pull it the rest of the way out, insert your cd then press the button to close it again. should work as normal after that.

i've never had any performance problems with the drive itself, just that random hiccup that happens about once a month or so.

if it happens more often you might have an actual problem. I just chalk mine up to ghosts.
reasonsnotrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006   #4
CD Freaks Rookie

Scotton:
Yes, if I restart the computer with a disc already in it, it still won’t eject. If I manually eject using the pinhole and then restart, and then put in a disc, the eject functions work OK initially but after some use they don’t again.

reasonsnotrules:
I’m getting different results – if I manually eject using the pinhole, I also have to manually push the drawer all the way closed again – it won't retract either by pushing the button or giving it a brief manual nudge. After which the eject functions still don’t work. If I press the button on the drive, its light comes on for 2 seconds but it doesn’t eject. Bummer. Your similar experience does suggest there could be a problem with this model drive.
I’d welcome hearing from any others who have the Sony DRU-801A or Benq 1640 if you’ve had any eject problems.
Old 30-06-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

i don't know what to suggest...might be worth checking the BenQ or Sony optical drive forums for similar issues. like i said, with mine after i manually open it, it's like it comes back to life.

i only get the non response about once a month or so and haven't noticed any other problems with the drive...it's actually my favorite drive I've ever had!

have you tried, by any chance flashing to a different firmware and seeing if the issue persists?
Old 30-06-2006   #6
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonsnotrules
have you tried, by any chance flashing to a different firmware and seeing if the issue persists?
As a matter of fact, I was just browsing the Benq forum and reading the posts about cross-flashing. I have the latest Sony firmware (1.0e) but maybe I'll try the Benq 1640 firmware. Thanks for the tip.
Old 30-06-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

Try going into safe mode with a disk in the drive and see if it ejects. I want to see if some software loading may be causing the problem. Good luck.
Old 30-06-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynald
As a matter of fact, I was just browsing the Benq forum and reading the posts about cross-flashing. I have the latest Sony firmware (1.0e) but maybe I'll try the Benq 1640 firmware. Thanks for the tip.
MAKE TOTALLY SURE that you have the sony 810A and not the 810A-R

a few people have recently killed drives flashing a 810A-R to 1640.

seems like drives that have a manufacture date of april 2006 and later are not 1640s.

if your drive is on the older side, then flash away. the firmware options are ridiculous for benqs
Old 30-06-2006   #9
CD Freaks Rookie

I have some additional diagnostic info on my problem. The plot thickens. If I reboot into normal mode with the drive empty, the drive button opens/ejects properly. But if I then put a disc in (I have autoplay on), my system crashes with a BSOD. The crash dump points to:
DRVMCDB.SYS
...as the likely cause. Some searches indicate that's a Sonic file. (My Dell system came with Sonic's RecordNow! preinstalled, but I've never used it.)
If I boot into safe mode, all is well: the drive ejects properly via both button and PC, and discs autoplay with no crashes. Does this help point to what the problem might be?
Old 30-06-2006   #10
MyCE Resident

what happens if you uninstall sonic?
Old 30-06-2006   #11
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
what happens if you uninstall sonic?
I haven't done that because some of the references I saw said this driver shouldn't be touched. Is it really safe to uninstall the Sonic app? I assume that will also remove Sonic DLA. I don't know if I need that for any other of my preinstalled aps.
Meanwhile, here's the latest: now my other burner (LITE-ON LDW-851S) isn't working. If I put a disc in, the drive light flashes off & on steadily, and if I start PowerDVD, it locks up. It occurs to me this has happened before. Both are on the same IDE channel, with the LITE-ON the master. I wonder if the drives aren't playing nice with each other. In combination with the Sonic driver perhaps.
Old 30-06-2006   #12
MyCE Resident

It seems like its not a hardware problem but a software if all is well in safe mode. You will have to try and figure out which software is causing the problem. When did the problem start and what software have you installed lately??
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotton
Try going into safe mode with a disk in the drive and see if it ejects. I want to see if some software loading may be causing the problem. Good luck.
Added if you hve not used the sonic software you can uninstall -you should have a backup cd from dell.What other dvd software do you have installed including dvd players, etc.
Old 30-06-2006   #13
MyCE Resident

sonic DLA is a GREAT place to start uninstalling. DLA is what is called a packet writing program which can cause lots of random conflicts.

uninstalling sonic won't hurt anything. it's a burning program. if you don't know what a packet writing program is, then don't worry, you don't use it.

you can begin by uninstalling just DLA if you're uncomfortable uninstalling the whole app, but if you don't use it, why not get rid of it?
Old 30-06-2006   #14
CD Freaks Junior Member

@reynald

My 2bobs worth

As long as you are totally ok with the viability of the inserted disk your problem is justified, but I have this same problem on occasion, but only when I insert a disc that is of non PC origin, meaning for example xbox/foreign flie format or a disk that is for lack of better words bolloxed, though I am sure you may have already realise this will cause problem as I realised.

Regards
Mod.it
MOD.IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006   #15
CD Freaks Rookie

Thanks for the help, guys. I uninstalled Sonic's DLA and their other software and that seems to have corrected all my problems. You don't have to convince me of the worthlessness of packet writing programs -- I have a bunch of data CDs burned with Adaptec/Roxio packet writing software that are now unreadable because they no longer support that version.
Another question, if I may. I've read that Roxio (I have EZCD 7) and Nero (I have 7 Ultra) can peacefully coexist on the same system. True? I have both installed and am in the process of transitioning from Roxio to Nero, but still use Roxio for some things and am not ready yet to uninstall it. I use PowerDVD (OEM version that came with my Dell) for most DVD viewing.
Old 30-06-2006   #16
New on Forum

Quote:
Scotton:
Yes, if I restart the computer with a disc already in it, it still won’t eject. If I manually eject using the pinhole and then restart, and then put in a disc, the eject functions work OK initially but after some use they don’t again.

reasonsnotrules:
I’m getting different results – if I manually eject using the pinhole, I also have to manually push the drawer all the way closed again – it won't retract either by pushing the button or giving it a brief manual nudge. After which the eject functions still don’t work. If I press the button on the drive, its light comes on for 2 seconds but it doesn’t eject. Bummer. Your similar experience does suggest there could be a problem with this model drive.
I’d welcome hearing from any others who have the Sony DRU-801A or Benq 1640 if you’ve had any eject problems.
I have just had my Benq1640 replaced by retailer this week.
Would only open with a good push of a paper clip.
Needed push to close and if I could time it right, the disc would load and function fine. Operated 1 out of 10 pushes with success.....When not, it would pop back out. (the only time that it would pop out by itself!)
It was 9 months into warranty and got replaced without problem...
mcpisik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006   #17
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Thanks for the help, guys. I uninstalled Sonic's DLA and their other software and that seems to have corrected all my problems. You don't have to convince me of the worthlessness of packet writing programs -- I have a bunch of data CDs burned with Adaptec/Roxio packet writing software that are now unreadable because they no longer support that version.
Another question, if I may. I've read that Roxio (I have EZCD 7) and Nero (I have 7 Ultra) can peacefully coexist on the same system. True? I have both installed and am in the process of transitioning from Roxio to Nero, but still use Roxio for some things and am not ready yet to uninstall it. I use PowerDVD (OEM version that came with my Dell) for most DVD viewing.
i've also read that they can coexist, but I've never used roxio so I can't say for sure.

just keep a close eye on your system. whenever you add or remove software make note of what was done and WHEN. this will help you track down any conflicts or changes for future troubleshooting. it's also a good idea to make a habit of manually creating system restore points before installing or uninstalling anything that you're leery about.

sounds like you're on the right track though! have nero, roxio, AND sonic was definitely overkill.

not sure if roxio has a packet writing software, but if it does, i'd get rid of that as well. also, get rid of Nero InCD (this is assuming you don't need the packet writing junk) no use in having stuff on your computer that could cause problems if it's not necessary.

now that you've uninstalled sonic, are both of your drives back to normal?
Old 30-06-2006   #18
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
now that you've uninstalled sonic, are both of your drives back to normal?
Yup; so far, so good (knock on wood!)
Old 01-07-2006   #19
New on Forum

check the data and power cables well