Old 05-04-2012   #1

DTS-sound

Na enkele posts lezen heb ik nog steeds geen oplossing gevonden voor mijn probleem: ik heb een videoformaat met een DTS-geluid, het probleem is dat ik geen geluid hoor bij het afspelen, enkel beeld.
Op mijn dvd speler staat nochtans DTS-HD audio master dus ik neem aan dat hij dit wel ondersteunt?
Bij de opties van mijn dvd speler kan ik bij DTS ook kiezen voor PCM/bitstream, PCM fix maar wat ik ook probeer, er komt maar geen geluid uit mijn homecinema.

Is er iemand die hier een oplossing op weet?
Jonathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #2

Re: DTS-sound

After reading some posts i still have no solution for my problem, i have a video format with DTS-sound, but the problem is that i can't get the sound on my television, only the image.
On my dvd player says DTS-HD audio master zo i think my homecinema supports the DTS-sound?
There are a lot of options in the menu of my homecinema, i can chose DTS PC/bitstrem, PCM fix on/off but i've tried everything and there is still no sound.

Is there anybody who knows a solution?
Old 05-04-2012   #3
Administrator

Examine the video with MediaInfo (a free program). I find the Tree view within MediaInfo to be the most informative.

This will tell you the exact format of the audio.

DTS-HD Master Audio is not used on dvds, only blu ray (or the now obsolete HD-DVD format). DVDs can have a regular DTS sound track but are required to have a second audio stream in case the player is not able to play DTS. The DTS audio found in dvds is a lossy format, unlike the lossless DTS-HD MA streams found in blu ray.

It is possible to convert the DTS sound track to AC3 if you'd like to try that.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
Examine the video with MediaInfo (a free program). I find the Tree view within MediaInfo to be the most informative.

This will tell you the exact format of the audio.

DTS-HD Master Audio is not used on dvds, only blu ray (or the now obsolete HD-DVD format). DVDs can have a regular DTS sound track but are required to have a second audio stream in case the player is not able to play DTS. The DTS audio found in dvds is a lossy format, unlike the lossless DTS-HD MA streams found in blu ray.

It is possible to convert the DTS sound track to AC3 if you'd like to try that.
So how it's possible that my homecinema doesn't play the sound?
There is a sign with DTS-HD Master Audio and when i play the bluray disc there is no dts-sound?
Old 05-04-2012   #5
Administrator

If your home cinema unit can play blu ray, then you should be getting some sort of sound out of a blu ray disc using DTS-HD MA audio. DTS-HD MA audio has a "core" that is not high definition. If your player cannot handle the full HD sound, it will revert to playing the core section of the audio stream.

Does it only happen with this one disc? DTS-HD MA audio is becoming the most common audio format for blu ray, so you should be able to test it with another disc quite easily.
Old 05-04-2012   #6
UTR
MyCE Resident

It might help if we knew the exact make and model of your equipment. I have found that the menu settings on players for specifying output of a digital signal to a receiver can be deceiving. The same goes for setting the playback options of receivers as they can be particularly complicated.
UTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #7
MyCE Resident

If you post what MediaInfo had as Audio it would help.
Old 06-04-2012   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ View Post
After reading some posts i still have no solution for my problem, i have a video format with DTS-sound, but the problem is that i can't get the sound on my television, only the image.
On my dvd player says DTS-HD audio master zo i think my homecinema supports the DTS-sound?
There are a lot of options in the menu of my homecinema, i can chose DTS PC/bitstrem, PCM fix on/off but i've tried everything and there is still no sound.

Is there anybody who knows a solution?
Is your dvd player an integrated part of your home cinema set? Your dvd player may put out DTS(-HD), doesn't mean your home cinema set can handle it.

DTS is basically "Dolby 5.1 with extra bandwith". Your home cinema set may not be able to process that. Can you select to use 48KHz or 96KHz bandwith on your home cinema set?
Old 06-04-2012   #9

now i have 3 blueray dvd's al all three of them don't work, this is what mediainfo says about the audio of one of them:
English, 1 510 kbps, 48.0 khz, 24 bits, 6 channels, DTS(ES)

the audio output menu of my dvd player (samsung AS-BTT262 bluray player) is like this:
Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD then i have to chose PCM or Bitstream
DTS/DTS-HD again i have to chose PCM or Bitstream
MPEG-audio and again PCM or Bitstream

BD-video secundary audo: On/off

then there stands below: when you chose bitstrem in each, with BD-video secundary audio ON the sound of the BD-video will be played like this:
- Dolby D+, Dolby TrueHD to Dolby Digital
- DTS-HD to DTS

I've tried everything of these but it never works, i hope you can help me
Old 06-04-2012   #10
MyCE Resident

You have managed not to answer any of my questions, so i will ask them again with some elaboration in bold typefont.

Is your dvd player an integrated part of your home cinema set/surround set? Your dvd player may put out DTS(-HD), doesn't mean your home cinema set can handle it. (are your speakers directly connected to your dvd player, then you have an integrated set)

Your home cinema set/surround set may not be able to process that. Can you select to use 48KHz or 96KHz bandwith on your home cinema set/surround set itself?

Did you consult the manual of the devices (dvd player and home cinema set/surround set)?

Can you give us the brand, model and typenumer of both your dvd player and your surround set/home cinema set?
Old 06-04-2012   #11

Yes my dvd player is an integrated part of my home cinema, the three speakers are directly connected to my dvd player but i can"t find the setting for changing to 48 khz of 96 khz.
I already consulted the manual of my homecinema but they give the explanation i gave in my previous post..

My home cinema is a :
- Samsung SC-BTT262EGK blu-ray disc home theatre sound system

Do you need any more information?
Old 06-04-2012   #12
MyCE Resident

MediaInfo will give much greater detail.
View pulldown select "Text" .
"File" pulldown Select "Export" .
From Export select "Text" tab , Check "Advanced Mode" .
Notice the window at the bottom where it will put the .txt file .
You can also browse to a folder where you might want it instead.
Post that information.
Old 06-04-2012   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
MediaInfo will give much greater detail.
View pulldown select "Text" .
"File" pulldown Select "Export" .
From Export select "Text" tab , Check "Advanced Mode" .
Notice the window at the bottom where it will put the .txt file .
You can also browse to a folder where you might want it instead.
Post that information.
I have done this and i have information in general, audio, text 1 and text 2, which information do you need because to paste it's to much when i paste it all
Old 06-04-2012   #14
Administrator

When I do a Google search for Samsung SC-BTT262EGK, I keep getting results for a Panasonic home theater unit with that designation. Are you certain this is a Samsung product?

For example: http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panaso...-System_review
Old 06-04-2012   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
When I do a Google search for Samsung SC-BTT262EGK, I keep getting results for a Panasonic home theater unit with that designation. Are you certain this is a Samsung product?

For example: http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panaso...-System_review
Ow i'm sorry, i changed the brand with the second home cinema in the house, yes it's a panasonic..
Old 06-04-2012   #16
Administrator

The specifications of the home cinema unit show that it has DTS HD MA capability when playing blu ray video. Since it isn't working, its time to contact Panasonic directly.
Old 07-04-2012   #17
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Yes my dvd player is an integrated part of my home cinema, the three speakers are directly connected to my dvd player but i can"t find the setting for changing to 48 khz of 96 khz.
I already consulted the manual of my homecinema but they give the explanation i gave in my previous post..

My home cinema is a :
- Samsung SC-BTT262EGK blu-ray disc home theatre sound system

Do you need any more information?
A Panasonic it is. I found the manual here. Think you have to look at page 97. Seems DTS works, but only inside the system and NOT if you have HDMI connected to other devices. (I already agree with everybody that this is a stupid thing)
Old 07-04-2012   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
A Panasonic it is. I found the manual here. Think you have to look at page 97. Seems DTS works, but only inside the system and NOT if you have HDMI connected to other devices. (I already agree with everybody that this is a stupid thing)
So i can't get DTS sound with my dvd player with a movie from my multimedia drive? Only with a blu-ray disc directly in my dvd player?

What do you mean a stupid thing?
Old 07-04-2012   #19
UTR
MyCE Resident

Quote:
So i can't get DTS sound with my dvd player with a movie from my multimedia drive? Only with a blu-ray disc directly in my dvd player?

It might mean that your system will not output a digital audio signal to another device that can decode DTS, Dolby Digital etc. or take digital audio input and decode DTS, DD etc.. Have you tried playing the DVD in the Blu-ray drive? I can't read the manual so I am only guessing
UTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
If i read the manual correctly then DTS does not work if there is an HDMI cable connected. It only works in the drive inside the surround system and its own speakers. The moment it notices that sound has to go over the HDMI cable it fails. Hey, it's easy to figure out. Just unplug all HDMI and play a DTS disc.

Quote:
I think its a rather stupid thing to disable digitial sound when you plug in a 2nd or even 3rd channel. Perhaps there's a valid reason for it, but i don't know.