Old 24-01-2010   #1

Creating Multi-session CD with XP?

Hi all ,

I need to transfer some data files (incl. mp3 files) to a CD-R from a failing external hard drive. I'd prefer to be able to write to the same CD-R again later, but the only CD-writing capability I have is the built-in XP stuff.

Does Windows XP / Windows Media Player allow you to create a multi-session data CD? If so, how?

If not, is there a free burning program with a VERY small footprint that does? (I have only about 700 MB free space on this tiny mini laptop's HD.)
ohhappyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #2
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Re: Creating Multi-session CD with XP?

With Nero you can create multisession CDs easily, but if you need a quick and easy solution to store files I suggest an USB pendrive. It is a rewritable solution and you don't need a special software to store data on it.

On a pendrive you can add and delete files as you like, and when you'll get 700MB of data you can burn a regular CD so no multisession is needed
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #3
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhappyday View Post
Does Windows XP / Windows Media Player allow you to create a multi-session data CD? If so, how?
The built-in CD burning in Windows XP Explorer will always create a multi-session CD when you drag-and-drop files to a CD, so that files can be added later. It's not the fastest way to burn files, since Windows XP will copy the files to another temporary location on the harddrive before burning, but it is a simple way of burning.

I'm not sure what Windows Media Player will do if you burn a CD.
Old 24-01-2010   #4
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

If your external HDD is failing, I guess you will be buying a new one.

How about get the new HDD and plug them both into you mini-lappy, and copy all files across?

I´ve just done that with a 250GB drive to a new 300
Set it up and go to bed...job done...no stress

A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #5

Thanks to all for the advice! I have to use CD-R temporarily because the mini HD is getting worse by day and I don't want to lose the files on it... and they won't fit on my Dell mini. (Hitachi will take its sweet time replacing the defective mini HD.)

DrageMester thanks for the info; I wasn't sure if WMP had its own way of doing things or not, so I'll use the route you suggested... unless my computer HD doesn't have enough space to temporarily hold files while burning? Will have to do 'em a few at at time, I guess.. good thing it can do multi-session!

geno888, the pen drive sounds like a good option, but Hitachi owes me a new hard drive anyway (this one is only a couple months old! Hope the replacement doesn't have the same defect...).

(sighs) I need a whole new computer anyway. This one was a gift, but had only 7 GB, most of which was already used up by the OS and essential programs! And it seems to have a memory leak, and isn't functioning right since yesterday (maybe memory is too low? CPU usage keeps jumping and it keeps freezing up.. But that's a problem for another thread...) But hey, deanimator, at least it's black!
ohhappyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #6
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Once solved the problem, you can still use a pendrive for other things, like this for example
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote