Old 26-01-2009   #1
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
copying DVD-R home movies onto computer or external hard drive help

I am new and have a question.

My son-in-law created a Memorex DVD-R "movie" for my mom's memorial. I heard that the DVD's don't last forever, so I want to copy it to my laptop's (Dell) hard drive and also to a G-book and another external hard drive.

I try and click on the icon and move to the selected external hard drive and it won't copy. I just get a duplicate icon that only works IF I have the original in the computer.

My SIL makes all his "family" DVD's on his Mac and I have a PC.

Is there a way to copy these "heirlooms" so we will always have a great copy, even when hard drives crash and everything is gone?

Thanks, Linda
lsirbuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009   #2
Administrator
 
Kerry56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 16,868
Re: copying DVD-R home movies onto computer or external hard drive help

Put the dvd in the drive. Look in My Computer and right click on the drive icon that has the dvd in it. This will give you a list of options...so click on Explore.

That will show you the contents of the dvd. Since it is a dvd-video, it should have a Video_TS folder and an empty Audio_TS folder. Right click on the Video_TS folder and hit Copy.

Now navigate to your external hard drive. Make a folder there where you want the video and open the folder. Now Right click again while in there and hit Paste. That will copy the Video_TS folder to your external hard drive.

If you have a problem, just post back and we'll try to help.

Keeping copies in the digital age is sometimes a little daunting. If it were me, I'd make new copies of the dvd on different media. Memorex isn't always good quality. You can make new copies off the one you put on the external hard drive. Use a dvd burning program, like the free one, ImgBurn. It is very easy to use. www.imgburn.com
I'd also get a usb thumb drive and copy to it. You can put it away for safekeeping.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009   #3
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru
 
geno888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 29,201
Re: copying DVD-R home movies onto computer or external hard drive help

Welcome to the forum

Try this method. Install ImgBurn and run it in "Read mode". Insert the Memorex disc in the drive, select a place where to save the file and press the start button.

This will save an ISO file on your HDD. Then you can use any burning software to burn the ISO file on a better quality disc or to store it on an external drive for future uses


EDIT
Kerry was faster


__________________
Click here or here to download latest version of CD-DVD Speed
Click here to read more about DMA
User guide for CD-DVD Speed: English version - Versione Italiana
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009   #4
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Re: copying DVD-R home movies onto computer or external hard drive help

Kerry--(will try Geno's idea later after I pick up the grandkids at school)

I have the video files all transferred on my external storage....took the "original" out of the computer and went to the files in storage and clicked on each one of them and couldn't open them. I was going to rename the folder (mom's memorial) but haven't yet.

How do I get the "file" to look like a complete icon to just click on to then play the video?

Thanks....Linda
lsirbuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009   #5
Administrator
 
Kerry56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 16,868
Re: copying DVD-R home movies onto computer or external hard drive help

If you want to play dvd-video on a computer you'll need software to do that, especially if you are using Windows XP, since it does not come with built-in mpeg2 decoders necessary for playing dvds.

I suggest getting VLC media player since it is free to download and use. www.videolan.org

To play the dvd-video off the external drive, just double click the icon on your desktop that comes when you install VLC ... it will look a little like a an orange striped warning cone. Click on Media, then open Folder and browse to the folder that holds your video.

If you'd rather go from the folder, then right click on it and you should get an option to play with VLC.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bemidji, MN, USA
Posts: 6
I also have this problem

I realize this thread was posted almost four years ago but upon a Google search, I found this thread and I have almost the exact same problem. Hopefully somebody will be able to help.

Some of my fiancée's cousins' family home movies are on a DVD-R. He would like to copy the movie to a computer then make more DVDs with these family movies. The DVD-R was originally created with a VHS-to-DVD recorder/converter. I have a Mac. I have no problem playing the movies with my DVD Player software when one of the discs is inserted. But when I copy the DVD to my computer, I get a folder image (instead of a DVD disc image) called SONATA_VOLUME with two folders in it: VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS. Each contain several files with various file extensions, and I can't do anything with the individual files. I can't even tell where, in all this gobledegook of files, the actual "movie" exists that somehow my DVD Player knows how to play, but it is obviously interpreting all the files together somehow. I can't actually watch the movies except when one of the discs is actually inserted in the computer.

So, is there a way that I can successfully transfer these movies to my computer and actually be able to watch the movies without the disc inserted?

I am actually thinking that possibly if I were to just burn the SONATA_VOLUME folder to a blank DVD, it might actually result in a successful movie copy, kind of as if my computer is the middle-man, but the movies only actually play on a disc. This idea is something my brain conjured-up; I have no idea if this would be true.

Anyway, can anybody help? Thanks!
MelanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #7
MyCE Resident
 
cholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Amarillo ,Texas
Posts: 8,162
I have no experence with Mac's so I don't know what to tell you to use to rip the DVD. Maybe this will help . The VIDEO_RM folder should contain the "Menu" files & other information that the standalone unit that the disc was converted from VHS would use to make edits.
The VIDEO_TS folder contains the actual Audio/Video (movie) .
__________________
cholla pronounced ˈchȯi-yə click on cholla to hear
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #8
Administrator & Reviewer
 
Wombler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 12,770
Like cholla I don't have a Mac but basically you'll need media player software, which you can think of as a software equivalent of your DVD player, to be able to view the full DVD on your Mac.

VLC is a popular choice for Windows users and is freeware so check out the Macintosh version of this software here.


Wombler
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Forum Help: Forum Rules, Myce Help Centre
If you find these forums useful then: Register Here
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #9
CE Freak
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA-Canada
Posts: 2,065
You can drag the disk's VIDEO_TS folder to a Movie-Named folder on your Desktop (create this empty folder first - call it whatever you like - something like your movie's name is perfect).

Once the VIDEO_TS folder is copied to that folder, open up the VIDEO_TS folder.

There's a file called

VIDEO_TS.IFO

That is the starting point for standard TV DVD players. Your Mac's media software should 'play' that and display your original video, on-screen, just as if you were watching the disk.

(I usually set the FILE ASSOCIATION for the .IFO files to be my Media Player, by the way, so those start playing any saved-DVD-file set.)
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #10
MyCE Senior Member
 
hogger129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 277
Use ImgBurn to make an .iso image file of the DVD and then just download VLC Media Player - which is free - and watch it in there to make sure it worked right. Then when you want to make another copy all you have to do is use ImgBurn to write the image to a blank DVD. I'm not sure if that has been mentioned already.
hogger129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bemidji, MN, USA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Like cholla I don't have a Mac but basically you'll need media player software, which you can think of as a software equivalent of your DVD player, to be able to view the full DVD on your Mac.

VLC is a popular choice for Windows users and is freeware so check out the Macintosh version of this software here.


Wombler

Thank you for trying to help, Wombler, but like I said, "I have no problem playing the movies with my DVD Player software when one of the discs is inserted."

Viewing the movies is no problem. When I put the DVD into my computer, it starts playing the movie right away. The problem is that I want to transfer the movie file to my computer so I can make edits, compile movie files, and burn more DVDs.

Regardless, I'll check out the software you mentioned to see if it would be helpful. Thank you again.

Melanie
MelanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bemidji, MN, USA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
I have no experence with Mac's so I don't know what to tell you to use to rip the DVD. Maybe this will help . The VIDEO_RM folder should contain the "Menu" files & other information that the standalone unit that the disc was converted from VHS would use to make edits.
The VIDEO_TS folder contains the actual Audio/Video (movie) .
Cholla, thank you. I was able to decipher that much because of what was previously mentioned in this thread about the VIDEO_TS folder, and also the fact that when I checked the info of the two respective folders, VIDEO_RM was very small, whereas VIDEO_TS was over four gigs. What I meant was that I couldn't "see" what I would think of as a typical video file within the mess that is contained in the VIDEO_TS folder. I figured VIDEO_RM was just supportive material, which you confirmed.

Thank you for trying to help.

Melanie
MelanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #13
Administrator
 
Kerry56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 16,868
DVD video has both the audio and the video streams contained with the vob files. The .bup and .ifo files are navigation information.

Vob files are arbitrarily split into 1gb chunks, to be compatible with dvd players. You can merge the vob files and turn them into mpeg2 files if you want to edit them. I can recommend many tools for doing this in Windows. But I don't use Macs.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bemidji, MN, USA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
You can drag the disk's VIDEO_TS folder to a Movie-Named folder on your Desktop (create this empty folder first - call it whatever you like - something like your movie's name is perfect).

Once the VIDEO_TS folder is copied to that folder, open up the VIDEO_TS folder.

There's a file called

VIDEO_TS.IFO

That is the starting point for standard TV DVD players. Your Mac's media software should 'play' that and display your original video, on-screen, just as if you were watching the disk.

(I usually set the FILE ASSOCIATION for the .IFO files to be my Media Player, by the way, so those start playing any saved-DVD-file set.)
Christine, thank you!

I was hopeful about your advice and followed it step-by-step, but there was still no change with my problem in the end. I guess I should mention what actually "happens" when I try to open the movie.

Okay, so I created the new, empty, folder on my desktop as you said. I dragged the VIDEO_TS folder into the empty folder. I then opened the VIDEO_TS folder, then double-clicked the VIDEO_TS.IFO. (By the way the "image" of this file is the dark gray screen-looking sort of image with "exec" written on it in neon green typewriter font — as if it's an "execute" file, which of course never works on a Mac.) What happens then (and also has happened other times I've tried to open it prior to moving it to this new folder) is that a box comes up saying something to the effect that no application is known to be able to open this file type. I can't see the exact verbiage anymore because since I specified it to open with DVD Player, now I can't change it back to unspecified. If I manually tell it to open with DVD Player, a box comes up saying, "There was a problem opening the media. The media type is not supported."

Thank you for trying to help me.

Melanie
MelanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #15
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bemidji, MN, USA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Use ImgBurn to make an .iso image file of the DVD and then just download VLC Media Player - which is free - and watch it in there to make sure it worked right. Then when you want to make another copy all you have to do is use ImgBurn to write the image to a blank DVD. I'm not sure if that has been mentioned already.
Hogger, thank you.

According to the ImgBurn site, they do not support Mac. I searched for something similar and found Wondershare DVD Creator. Unfortunately, it's only a 30-day free trial then it's like $50. I still need to look into VLC Media Player.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Melanie
MelanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bemidji, MN, USA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
DVD video has both the audio and the video streams contained with the vob files. The .bup and .ifo files are navigation information.

Vob files are arbitrarily split into 1gb chunks, to be compatible with dvd players. You can merge the vob files and turn them into mpeg2 files if you want to edit them. I can recommend many tools for doing this in Windows. But I don't use Macs.
Thank you, Kerry. I just found Wondershare DVD Creator which I noted did make use of the VOB files which agrees with what you said about that file type. It seems to be a great tool but unfortunately is only a 30-day free trial, then it's pretty spendy to buy it. I don't think I'll be able to do the project within 30 days. I'll keep trying to figure it out. Thanks again.

Melanie
MelanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #17
Administrator & Reviewer
 
Wombler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 12,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieH View Post
Christine, thank you!

I was hopeful about your advice and followed it step-by-step, but there was still no change with my problem in the end. I guess I should mention what actually "happens" when I try to open the movie.

Okay, so I created the new, empty, folder on my desktop as you said. I dragged the VIDEO_TS folder into the empty folder. I then opened the VIDEO_TS folder, then double-clicked the VIDEO_TS.IFO. (By the way the "image" of this file is the dark gray screen-looking sort of image with "exec" written on it in neon green typewriter font — as if it's an "execute" file, which of course never works on a Mac.) What happens then (and also has happened other times I've tried to open it prior to moving it to this new folder) is that a box comes up saying something to the effect that no application is known to be able to open this file type. I can't see the exact verbiage anymore because since I specified it to open with DVD Player, now I can't change it back to unspecified. If I manually tell it to open with DVD Player, a box comes up saying, "There was a problem opening the media. The media type is not supported."

Thank you for trying to help me.

Melanie
In VLC go to the menu and select 'Open folder', point it to the VIDEO_TS folder and it will play the full DVD, menus and all.

VLC is free and very well supported so you've nothing to lose by trying it.

As you've discovered ImgBurn isn't available for the Mac and you're kind of limited choice wise compared to the vast range of burning software that's available for Windows PCs.

You could try 'Burn' which is an open source project through sourceforge. I've no experience of Mac software though so I can't really comment on it's usability but it does seem to be fairly well featured.


Wombler
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Forum Help: Forum Rules, Myce Help Centre
If you find these forums useful then: Register Here
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External DVD Burner & External Hard Drive ? fljoemon Solid State Drives (SSD), Hard Drives (HDD) and NAS 10 09-11-2010 12:07
Any issues with Burning to External DVD Writer from External Hard Drive mellow13 CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers 12 04-07-2008 03:57
problem copying home movie DVD to Hard drive cybmole DVDFab / DVD Region+CSS Free 11 03-07-2007 00:55
Copying home movies to DVD without PC Sirbrandon Newbie Forum 3 20-11-2006 01:34
want to make copies of my movies straight from the external hard drive Gsp0t2k Movie copy software 6 04-08-2006 02:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:02.
Top