Old 05-11-2002   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member

connecting a vcr to a pc...is it possible?

hey everyone. so my question is if it is possible to connect a vcr to a pc so that i could press play on the vcr and watch the movie?? im here at school and dont feel like buying a television since i primarily use my dvd-rom. besides, i only have two vhs tapes.

i dont want to capture the vcr movie...just looking for a way to watch the movie on my pc...is it possible? search yielded no results...google hasnt been too much help either. thanks for any help you can provide.

maybe it would help to place some of my pc specs here...i have a geforce3 ti200 with svideo as well as a wintv tv tuner with line in/out.

also, if you beat me to it, feel free to direct me to a webpage that anyone might happen to find.

Last edited by EFloUVA; 05-11-2002 at 02:57.
EFloUVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002   #2
MyCE Resident

This should be possible.

From the old days I know there were devices that allowed you to connect the monitor directly and watch TV on your monitor.

The Line In of your card should be able to pass through the signal as well, but in that I cannot help you much, sorry.
Old 05-11-2002   #3
MyCE Resident

Your geforce3 ti200 card doesn't have a video in jack, which is what you need to play the VCR video.

What you want to do is very easy if you have the right card. I have a VCR hooked up to my ATI Radeon DDR VIVO (video in video out), and it works very well for playback through the computer monitor or a TV or both (switched through ATI software). Any inexpensive ATI card with a video in jack would work for you.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002   #4
MyCE Member

Re: connecting a vcr to a pc...is it possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by EFloUVA
maybe it would help to place some of my pc specs here...i have a geforce3 ti200 with svideo as well as a wintv tv tuner with line in/out.
The WinTV card you already have should do the job. Connect the audio and video output from the VCR to the audio and video input on the WinTV card. I have a WinTV Go card, and this method works fine for me. When everything is connected, start the WinTV 32 or WinTV 2000 application, and change the channel to line in. If the line in channel doesn't exist, you can create one from the channel suite. HTH. . .
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

great. thanks for all the help everyone. i might have to get a couple of cables and should be all set. turns out this might be a lot easier than i thought.
Old 05-11-2002   #6
MyCE Member

Oh, there's always the method of going straight from the VCR Out F connector on the back of the VCR, to the Ant in F connector on the WinTV card with a coax jumper cable. You could then watch the VCR on ch 3 or 4 in the WinTV application. You won't get as good quality this way, but it'll work. Might save you a trip to the store for RCA cables, so you can at least verify that it works.
Old 06-01-2003   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

now...hooking up a dvd changer...good choice or bad?

thought i could use this same post to ask another question ive got. this time around...im trying to decide if there are benefits to hooking up a dvd player to my pc. not only does it play dvds...but also mp3s...svcds...and the like.

i found a nice toshiba thats not too expensive and its a 5-disc changer. Toshiba SD-2815

now i want to hook this up to my pc...via s-video and audio jacks. since im going in through my tv tuner card...will i still be able to use my windvd software...or will i have to use the line in channel?

lastly, anyone think this is a good alternative to replacing my dvd-rom? ive got a burner and will be able to use that for games and what-not.

reason im thinking of doing this is because i recently got a zip drive and havent anymore ??serial?? connections i can put on my computer...already have the dvd-rom, burner, and 2 hard drives...and i believe im limited to those 4 devices. getting rid of the dvd-rom lets me hookup the zip drive.

anyway, figured i could get a little help in here since google turned up limited results and the guy in best buy was not too knowledgeable at all. in fact, he pretty much blew me off. maybe the question wasnt going to guarantee him the commission he was hoping for. i dunno. in any case, thank god for cdfreaks!
Old 06-01-2003   #8
MyCE Member

Re: now...hooking up a dvd changer...good choice or bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by EFloUVA
now i want to hook this up to my pc...via s-video and audio jacks. since im going in through my tv tuner card...will i still be able to use my windvd software...or will i have to use the line in channel?
I doubt that your WinDVD software will work as you're sending the signal via the WinTV card. If your model of WinTV card supports S-video in (WinTV-radio, WinTV-Theater both do), you'll be able to view through the line in. If you have a different model (WinTV-GO, WinTV-GO-FM, WinTV-pci), you'll have to go through the Composite video in.

Quote:
lastly, anyone think this is a good alternative to replacing my dvd-rom? ive got a burner and will be able to use that for games and what-not.
Personally, no. Without an internal DVD-ROM drive you'll lose the ability to directly rip DVDs, and you'll be putting a lot more wear and tear on your burner using it as a reader.

Quote:
reason im thinking of doing this is because i recently got a zip drive and havent anymore ??serial?? connections i can put on my computer...already have the dvd-rom, burner, and 2 hard drives...and i believe im limited to those 4 devices. getting rid of the dvd-rom lets me hookup the zip drive.
I'm not terribly fond of Zip drives. But in your situation I think the ideal solution would be to keep your present configuration and exchange the IDE Zip drive for a USB model.
Old 06-01-2003   #9
Blindwrite Team Member

Or you can purchase an in-expensive add-in ata 66/100/133 card that will enable you to add 4 more IDE devices.
kamikazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

if i tried an add in ata card...are you sure this would work? i have been to best buy and they told me that this having two in my system would cause conflicts between the two. system specs are an intel 815 model mobo running at a gig. though im hoping to upgrade that this summer hopefully.
Old 06-01-2003   #11
MyCE Member

@EFloUVA: It should work, I'm using a Promise ATA-66 IDE controller in another system here, and no conflicts with the on-board IDE controller. My question would be is whether your case has enough bays with front panel access to allow the addition of another drive?
Old 06-01-2003   #12
CD Freaks Senior Member

yeah, my case definitely has enough front panel access. there are still two 5.25 bays that i am not using as of yet.

so prowler...you think if i got a ide controller connecting into a pci slot into my mobo...id have no problems? lastly, do you have an ata controller or an ata raid card?
Old 19-01-2003   #13
CD Freaks Senior Member

success connecting dvd changer to pc

finally back at school and got my dvd changer all connected to my pc. as far as i am concerned right now, playing the dvd from my dvd changer uses up like zero system resourses. not a huge surprise, but definitely a benefit. good thing because i dont like restarting my computer all the time.

last thing i want to say is the benefit this setup is. my dvd player also doubles as a cd player and triples as an mp3 player and quadruples as an (s)vcd player and (whatever comes next) as a jpeg file/photo cd viewer.

thanks everyone for all the help. score one (and many more) for the cdfreaks community!

//edit: fixed some spelling