Old 23-08-2010   #1

Connecting a VCR to a Media Center PC

I'm currently trying to connect a Teac MV4092G 4-head VCR to a second hand HP M7288a Media Center PC.

I have connected the VCR to the antenna in cable on the Media Centers Hauppague WinTV88x tuner and have also connected cables from the videos outputs to the RCA input connecters on the tuner card.

I have been unable to get the VCR image to appear on the computer monitor, even after I ensured the tuner was set to Analog.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Graham2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Connecting a VCR to a Media Center PC

Can't you just use the composite out (or scart) of the vcr and the composite in of the hauppauge card?
Old 23-08-2010   #3
MyCE Resident

-- double post removed --
Old 24-08-2010   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
Can't you just use the composite out (or scart) of the vcr and the composite in of the hauppauge card?
The VCR only has Video/Audio outputs (No SCART or S-Video). I have connected these to the composite inputs but I've no idea how to display this through Windows Media Center and/or the hauppauge card, on my monitor.
Old 24-08-2010   #5
MyCE Resident

Do you happen to have the manual of this VCR?
Old 24-08-2010   #6

No, I don't. The connections I'm using though are the same as if I was connecting the player to a television.
Old 25-08-2010   #7
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
No, I don't. The connections I'm using though are the same as if I was connecting the player to a television.
To be able to get video all you need to do is hook up the coaxial cable to your tuner card and to get the sound you need to hook up the Red and White RCA cables. So either disconnect the coaxial cable or the RCA Video cable as you not need both hooked up. Not sure how to get the computer to show the Vidoe using VCR but it could be because you have the VCR hooked up wrong
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010   #8

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Hopefully it will work, the help files have not been much help.
Old 26-08-2010   #9

After a lot of messing around, partial success, I had to tell Media Center that I had a set-top box to get it to read the composite input but then the setup fell down because I did not have an IR receiver.

I'm not sure where to go from here.
Old 28-08-2010   #10

I'm getting rather frustrated with my inability to use the composite ports on the computer to allow me to watch films on VHS though the installed Hauppague WinTV88x card.

Does anyone know of alternative (Open Source/Freeware) packages that might allow me to do this?
Old 28-08-2010   #11
Senior Moderator

If it's a Hauppauge, can't you use the WinTV software that comes with it? That's what I use for both of mine.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote