Old 04-07-2010   #1
MyCE Member

Connect 1 set of speakers to 2 computers?

I've got a couple of computers sitting side by side next to my desk. I have them connected to a single monitor, keyboard and mouse with KVM switch.

But I've got two sets of powered speakers cluttering up my desk with their wires and power supplies, because it's two much trouble to have to get down on the floor behind the computer cases and swap the speaker mini-plug from computer to computer.

Is there a low priced switch for computer speakers, with jacks for mini plugs, that works like a KVM switch?
Old 04-07-2010   #2
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Re: Connect 1 set of speakers to 2 computers?

Try finding a y adaptor with 2 male and one female. You can use google to find online sellers but if you have a local electronics store like The Source or Radio Shack you could get it there. Here is a link so you know what to look for http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Monster...-1-4-Mono-Male Also you will need to find one that has a few feet of wire or enough length so it will reach both computers as well
AGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #3
MyCE Member

Are you sure that would work?

I'm concerned that running the current from both sound cards into a Y adapter might cause damage to one or both sound cards because the current from one sound card might be fed back into the other and vice versa.

Is that fear groundless?
Old 04-07-2010   #4
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Well not sure about that but you could always ask that question at a computer store or electronics store or someone else on the forum may know as I never had the need to do that. I will be going to ncix tomorrow for something for my computer and can ask them that and let you know

Here is a link below about a KVM Switch that you mentioned as well. You can use it on up to 4 computers and seems to be pretty good but is rather expensive and not sure where it available for you to purchase other than the link I posted that found when I did a search for KVM switch

http://www.buy.com/videoclip/cables-...tch/71999.html

Last edited by AGJ; 04-07-2010 at 10:48. Reason: added link and text
Old 04-07-2010   #5
MyCE Resident

KVM switches that handle monitor,keyboard, mouse and speakers are at places like Fry's stores.
CPU IntelC2Q Q9650 3G 3.1GHZ Dual-Quad
Memory Patriot 4GB 2x2
OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
HDDs 1 Hitachi 640 GB and 1 TB SATA, External 1.5 TB, Two 2TB and 1 WD 3TB external and 1 250 GB external fire wire. 4 port 2.6 Amp powered USB hub
Burners Internal-Ide Lit-on IHAP 422-98,Pioneer DVR 117---Sata Lite-on IHAS 324-9, Optiarc 7240 and Samsung 243, IHAS 124 Y. External Mad Dog (NEC3500) to burn old 4X media.
PSU Antec 550W true power

Computers can burn up when shut off if they are still plugged in even when using a UPS.

2nd 'Puter (On line use) Dell Power Edge 700, Pentium 4E 520 Prescott @ 2.8GHz
Windows XP Pro SP3
2.5 GB DDR 3200, WD 160GB ATA HD, 4 SCSI HD in raid for 500GB, 250 GB Hd on a firewire port.
Samsung 223 DVD burner, Plextor 48/24/48U
Printers 1-Canon 820 and (1-Epson R300, Put back into a box) Samsung ?25 B/W lazer
6 Usb and 3 Firewire ports in the rear and 10 port,7.2Amp powered Rosewill Usb hub in the front along with Rosewill card reader +1 Usb port in the floppy slot
3rd 'Puter Compaq CQ-50 Laptop,Vista 32Bit
Celeron 575 @2GHZ, 3GB DDR2 5300, 160GB HD and 1-250GB WD passport HD, 2.6 amp powered USB hub.
Optiarc 7200 in external case
Epson NX 415 Printer.
(Wall-Mart $299) Vista 32 bit
G_Ivan Awfulitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #6
AGJ
MyCE Resident

Sorry forgot to ask about this but a KVM switch would be the way to go if you not want to accidentally fry the sound card
Old 05-07-2010   #7
MyCE Member

Thanks, guys!

I forgot to mention that I'm disabled and scraping by on a very small Social Security disability pension, so price is a big factor. I already have a hand-me-down powered KVM switch, albeit, and old one that has no USB or Audio ports. It works fine for me though, since my old mouse and keyboard have PS/2 connectors.

My first searches for a speaker switch didn't get any hits, but since reading your replies, I added "share" and "audio" to my search string a got lots of hits. For example:

MODEL MK-7 COMPUTER AUDIO SPEAKER SWITCH BOX

For me, $25 + shipping is a lot to pay, but since I got the speakers free as hand-me-downs, I might be able to talk myself into "splurging" on this toy.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 06-07-2010   #8
Senior Moderator

According to the reviews here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback a simple 'Y' connection seems to work. Most audio outputs are capacitively coupled and therefore wouldn't pass any meaningful voltage back in anyway.

PS: You might actually want a 667 and a 664 from this page http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10218

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #9
MyCE Member

Thanks, guys, for those suggestions!

I'm still a little wary of the "Y" connector solution.

I had an idea last night that should do the trick. Definitely low tech: I'll start shopping around for a couple of cheap six foot headphone extension cords. I could plug the male ends into the sound cards and keep the female ends up on on my desk tied with a twist tie to the cord with the speaker plug. Then when I need to switch computers, I could just pull the speaker plug from one female connector and plug it into the other. Voila! Instant switching with no cross computer voltage feedback.

Not the most elegant solution, but the total investment would be under five bucks and one trip to the floor on my hands and knees to plug the little suckers in the first time.

I think I'll head down to the dollar store right now to see if they have any of those cords in stock today.