Old 25-03-2007   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Computer will not detect DVD drive

Last night I am trying to watch a movie on the computer. After about 5 minutes, I get an error message "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger". Computer did not freeze but the movie did stop. I exit out of all windows and restarted the dvd. Watched the movie no problem.

this morning, the computer will not detect my dvd drive. I reboot and then it does. watched another dvd no problem. No error message this time.
reboot the computer again and since then, i can not get the computer to detect my dvd drive.

I have a NEC 3500 on a dell running XP.

any suggestions?

thanks
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Computer will not detect DVD drive

Try uninstalling the IDE channel that it's on and reboot and let windows reinstall the IDE channel
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
( Old like me ) But does the job great
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim +R's Only In My Burners
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )(San Diego Gas & Electric Retired (20 years)
Proudly Served On
USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007   #3
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5
Last night I am trying to watch a movie on the computer. After about 5 minutes, I get an error message "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger". Computer did not freeze but the movie did stop. I exit out of all windows and restarted the dvd. Watched the movie no problem.

this morning, the computer will not detect my dvd drive. I reboot and then it does. watched another dvd no problem. No error message this time.
reboot the computer again and since then, i can not get the computer to detect my dvd drive.

I have a NEC 3500 on a dell running XP.

any suggestions?

thanks
Hi Jedi5
Try this

Right click on "My Computer" select "Properties" click on the "Hardware" tab and click on the "Device Manager" button.
In Device Manager go down to where it says "DVD/CD-ROM drives" click on the small box next to it to open a drop-down list showing all CD and DVD drives connected to your computer.
Right click on the drive that is giving you the trouble and click on uninstall, when asked to confirm device removal click OK.
shut down the computer and "Disconnect" the burner from your computer. then re-boot the computer and wait for XP to start-up and after everthing is up and running , shut it down computer again. and re-connect the burner, Now start up the computer and wait for XP to detect the "new" drive and assign the proper driver.
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

thanks fellas.
that did the trick.
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007   #5
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5