Old 17-02-2008   #1
New on Forum

Cleaning a DVD Player

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean the laser on a DVD player? I think DVD player is dusty because I am getting inconstant pixilation when I play a DVD. If it were in the same location each time I would suspect my backup process.

Thanks,

Mustangfarm
mustangfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Cleaning a DVD Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangfarm View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean the laser on a DVD player? I think DVD player is dusty because I am getting inconstant pixilation when I play a DVD. If it were in the same location each time I would suspect my backup process.

Thanks,

Mustangfarm
Is that a standalone or burner in your computer?? Either way you should be able to remove the screws and take apart the case to gain access to the laser lens...make sure power is off...and use a lens cleaner cloth and lens cleaner solutions to slowly wipe down the laser lens...what what I do for burner drive for computer. The standalone would be the same process you just have to take the screws off and then locate the laser len and clean the same process..the cleaning process if the lens is dirty or oily will improve read and writing...but also check your media to make sure it's free of visual defects as well...
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008   #3
MyCE Senior Member

hi mustangfarm,

You could buy a laser lens cleaning kit. Pop in the disc and it does the cleaning for you. I've been using one for over a year. Works well with both the computer RW-drive and my stand alone players. Check the local outlets like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City. Depending on your choice $15 - $20.

Hope this helps...
Psycho6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho6 View Post
hi mustangfarm,

You could buy a laser lens cleaning kit. Pop in the disc and it does the cleaning for you. I've been using one for over a year. Works well with both the computer RW-drive and my stand alone players. Check the local outlets like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City. Depending on your choice $15 - $20.

Hope this helps...
I would use the manual way of cleaning I heard of some kits actually scratching the laser lens itself...I usually do my own cleaning and that has worked well for me saving time and money in the process...so OP what kinda player do you have???
Old 18-02-2008   #5
New on Forum

I have a RCA standalone DVD for my TV.

Thanks

Mustanfarm
mustangfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008   #6
MyCE Member

Those hard cleaning discs are last resort,before drive replacement. I believe staple's have them on sale.

Try ejecting the tray and spray some compressed air into the stand alone player.

After all those attempts and it doesn't work:

Take note of the area that shows the pixellation,then try testing the backup on some other drives and see how they look.The more drives,the better. Also slap it back into the pc,using the drive that burned it, to do the playing. See how it looks in that suspected area.

This will help narrow down if it is a drive issue or it's a disc issue.
Old 18-02-2008   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangfarm View Post
I have a RCA standalone DVD for my TV.

Thanks

Mustanfarm
Ok...Well I taken apart standalone DVD and VCR devices before and a few screws out and you can pop the case off if it's not in warranty still...but if out warranty then you can go ahead and take the screws out and pop off the case or slide it off depending on how they have it attached when the screws are out. Then located the laser lens and I would use a lens cleaner cloth and solution and gently wipe in circular motion on the lens itself to clean off any dirt or oil that has accumulated since you bought and used the player...after which you just put everything back together...that is if you want to do that way...but in my opinion if you tried everything else and it still don't read properly that would be a way to confirm whether the lens is dirty or not. But make sure the media you played that were having problem plays ok on other standalone and burner as well making sure its not the media that is the cause. The dvd media your playing is it a burned or commerical dvd? But I wouldn still clean the laser lens as since most time the user don't clean the lens I should know I was one of them til I did clean it and it picksup and burns better for my computer burner...but standalone being cleaned will also improve the pickup as well...only time this won't help is if the laser is reaching the end of it's life span usage...then you left with getting a new burner or standalone device...