Old 23-03-2006   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

can't play dvd's in some dvd players

i have a sony vaio rb50 with current version 1 click pro and current anydvd. I am using benq 16x dvd+r media and the dual layer sony burner that came with computer. I have no errors or problems when transcoding or writing to the disc. but I have problems getting movies to play in most dvd players. I have a pioneer and a sony dvd player that plays everything flawlessly but the l.g. and jvc and several other players will only play about half of the movie and then it skips continuously. This happens with different movies and 2 of them would not even play properly in my p.c. (is that abnormal that the 2 dvd players would play the discs no problem but the computer would not?) I was thinking bad media or bad burner. any ideas would be appreciated i am still new. thanks
kenny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: can't play dvd's in some dvd players

Make sure that bitsetting is set to DVD-ROM for maximum compatibility with standalone players. Also try burning at a slower speed to see if that helps. Different media would be yet another choice. If none of those suggestions work, then it's probally the standalone players being picky about the discs.
brokenbuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

I get the same problem, so if i change my bitsetting to DVD-ROM it should be compatible with most players? Why wouldnt they leave the bitsetting at this standard if it were a better option or does it have flaws in other areas when burning?
-=Ac3=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #4
MyCE Resident

Media quality is the most likely source of the problem. The Benq DVD's that are being used are not the best quality (considered mid-grade at best). Try using Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs (Sony's 8x+R MIJ is retail TY). There are a few others out there as well. (Some TDK made in Japan, some Verbatim MIJ, Plextor to name a few).

As the burn speed increases as the movie is copied to the disc, it more than likely is causing excessive errors or possibly even falilures. This is why it skips or will not play at all.

The reason your PC will not read some is because it attempts to read the disc at a higher speed than the DVD players do.
I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive, you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them-words shrink things that seemed limitless when in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear. - Stephen King, intro to "The Body."
jhtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Yes, agree with jhtalisman try better media also with quality media use the media rated speed.
BenQ 1620pro
BenQ 1640, 1650, 1655
LG GSA 4163 B
LiteON 832s
NEC 1300A, 4550A
rapid fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #6
CD Freaks Junior Member

o.k. so some dvd players are better at reading bad media than others, i guess the pioneer and sony players have a superior reading mechanism. I was suprised to see the pc not play the discs because i thought that the pc has a much better dvd reader than any dvd player. if it is not too much trouble could someone please tell me where i can check what "bitsetting" my dvd rom is set to. thanks for the replys
Old 23-03-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

Use Nero drivespeed. Get it here:
http://www.webattack.com/get/nerodrivespeed.html
Enjoy
Stroppy likes FOOD!
Oh the pain, the pain... William!
Where is that Bubble-Headed Booby?
stroppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

Use Nero drivespeed. Get it here:
http://www.webattack.com/get/nerodrivespeed.html

thanks for the link, i downloaded it but i am not quite sure what this does, does this help regulate burn speeds?
Old 24-03-2006   #9
Senior Moderator

No. As stated on that site, this tool can be used to change reading speed. With decreased reading speed there might be a chance of better reading, especially with low quality discs.
btw. The original website of that tool is www.cdspeed2000.com

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #10
CDFreaks Resident

CD-DVD Speed is a great tool!...
Recommend that you look at this thread , with many thanks to rdgrimes (retired mod) and many other members.
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006   #11
CD Freaks Junior Member

wow, people on this site are very helpful. i think i have learned more in the past 2 days than in the last 2 months.