Old 26-12-2009   #1

Can you watch a divx movie on this unit from a USB stick

Hi, I've been downloading movies from my computer onto DVD-Rs but I usually just watch a movie once. It seems like a waste of DVDs. Does any know if you can watch a movie on this unit from a USB memory stick?
jmicksch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Can you watch a divx movie on this unit from a USB stick

Quote:
Does any know if you can watch a movie on this unit from a USB memory stick?
Welcome to the forum. Since you don't specify which unit this unit is, I can only speculate. Some can, some can't. Why not try it and see? Be sure to post us the results.

PS: If it can, the movie likely will need to be XviD or DivX in an AVI container, and your player will need to support that format. The Manual may also be a good resource.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009   #3

Oh, sorry about not including the model number. I thought it would show up in the subject title but it obviously didn't. The model is the Sony RDR HX780. Its a model of DVD recorder with a built in Hard Drive. There is a USB port but it seems to be there for Camcorders primarily. I will try it again to see if it picks up a movie, but reading through the manual, I don't think it reads from a USB. Too bad, because it would be better for the environment if we didn't have to put everything on DVDs. Thanks for you interest in this thread. Julie
jmicksch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009   #4
UTR
MyCE Resident

The specs say it can play Divx files from discs so it might read them from a USB drive.
UTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009   #5
Senior Moderator

Yeah, most of the HDD recorders don't read anything but still pictures (JPEG) and music (MP3, WMA) from the USB port. At least not the ones we can get here in the USA.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Yeah, most of the HDD recorders don't read anything but still pictures (JPEG) and music (MP3, WMA) from the USB port. At least not the ones we can get here in the USA.
Not only that but the cost prohibited of so many usb stick with be so high compared to dvd blank media. That's probably the biggest reason no movies comes out on usb stick. Probably overly stated but the cost I think would be a big negative to having it on usb stick besides the cost and time converting to divx when you can go from dvd to dvd in shorter time.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmicksch View Post
Hi, I've been downloading movies from my computer onto DVD-Rs but I usually just watch a movie once. It seems like a waste of DVDs. Does any know if you can watch a movie on this unit from a USB memory stick?

The Samsung 1080 P9

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

can play mp3 (music file) / .jpeg (pictures) / .avi (Divx video) files/.mpg (video file) from USB flash drive or burned on a Data DVD.

Plays Regular DVDs as well as recorded DVDs as well.

or...

you can purchase the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player:
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

You can play any video/music/images using this unit (does not play FLV files)...just attach the USB HDD and, it should recognize it.

Hope that helps.

Macrovision3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

If you are in the UK this one plays avi (divx etc) and is very cheap from lidl
http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=163