Old 12-03-2010   #1
MyCE Member

Can we install two anti-virus progrgams on one computer?

Hello, I know this is an age-old question, but IO would like to ask it again because I have seen different answers in different places. I know it might be bad to run two programs simultaneously, but can we INSTALL two anti-virus programs on one system, but RUN only one at a time? Thanks for all valuable suggestions.
Ayiramala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Can we install two anti-virus progrgams on one computer?

No
scotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #3
Batchshrink Author

I wouldn't give an unqualified "no" to this question, because it is technically possible. By disabling the startup programs and services associated with one anti-virus tool it is possible to prevent it from running on startup and most A/V tools wil allow you to install side-by-side even if they kick up a fuss about it. In this way you could have two or more tools installed on the same system with only one of them running.

The big question is why would you want to? Apart from the general hassle of the above procedure, the possibilty for system instability and program conflicts is massive.

My advice is find one that you like and stick to it; my security software is as follows:
Avira Antivirus (free)
Comodo Internet Security Suite (free, firewall only, defense+ disabled)
WinPatrol (free)
Peerblock (free, only used when running uTorrent)
The above, combined with common sense and a hardware firewall in your router and you're about as protected as you can get.

Slainte

midders
"Some people bring happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go" - Oscar Wilde
midders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #4
MyCE Resident

In short yes you can as I have 2 programs running at the same time with no problems, the reason is that each program will find stuff the other doesn't and this is true with all of the virus programs
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
( Old like me ) But does the job great
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim +R's Only In My Burners
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )(San Diego Gas & Electric Retired (20 years)
Proudly Served On
USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #5
MyCE Resident

You can install as many as you want, but one should be enough and more than one doesnt make things more "protected"...

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #6
MyCE Resident

I disagree with you on that chef, you can install several and run one then run the others and you will see that some pick up things that the other one didn't so they all aren't foolproof, but each to their own
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
Proudly Served On
USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
Old 12-03-2010   #7
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Depending on the virus checkers, you can run two or more simultaneously, which I've already seen people do successfully or without realising. However, assuming they don't conflict, the consequence is that it will most likely cause a noticeable slow down, much like having a second security screening at an airport.

As you are just looking to run one at a time, the best thing in my opinion would be to find a good real-time AV and find a standalone AV that you can run on demand. For example, Microsoft Security Essentials for a real-time AV and ClamAV for an on-demand check (both free).

This AV review is worth a look at, which compares 15 in real-life tests on Malware infected websites with PCs missing updates and using old version of Flash, Java, etc. However, as mentioned above, no Antivirus package tested in the review was 100% successful at stopping infections.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010   #8
MyCE Resident

Sean that was very informative av review myself I use Advanced System Protector and Windows Live One Care both running at the same time
2.81 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
Pioneer 112L FW 8.25
DVDFAB

Paid Not To Work
Proudly Served On
Old 13-03-2010   #9
MyCE Resident

I used to run spyboy search and destroy and Norton or Kaspersky together without any issues. Kaspersky would complain about it if it was already installed when I did upgrades so I'd just delete it and reinstall it afterwords. It didn't seem to slow anything down any more then just running the AV by itself but sometimes a legit web site or something wouldn't work right and I'd have to add it to some exclusion list or whatever.
For the moment I haven't reinstalled spybot and I agree that running too many things at once can cause issues so if your not having problems I'd run whatever you like best that works and see if you need anything else later.
Dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010   #10
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seán View Post
Depending on the virus checkers, you can run two or more simultaneously, which I've already seen people do successfully or without realising. However, assuming they don't conflict, the consequence is that it will most likely cause a noticeable slow down, much like having a second security screening at an airport.

As you are just looking to run one at a time, the best thing in my opinion would be to find a good real-time AV and find a standalone AV that you can run on demand. For example, Microsoft Security Essentials for a real-time AV and ClamAV for an on-demand check (both free).
I did a bit of a search to know more about standalone AV, and many major names like BitDefender and Norton came up. Are they really standalone? Aren't they real-time AV?
Ayiramala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010   #11
Batchshrink Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayiramala View Post
I did a bit of a search to know more about standalone AV, and many major names like BitDefender and Norton came up. Are they really standalone? Aren't they real-time AV?
I think that the use of standalone in this context is ambiguous. Most A/V software that is installed on your system provides you with the option of real-time scanning which can be turned on or off via the application interface, as well as the option of on-demand scanning as an when you like, or to a pre-defined schedule.

Many A/V apps can also be obtained in portable format, i.e. to go on a flash-drive etc.; these don't install any files on your system, but can be run on-demand to check for viruses/malware.

Slainte

midders
"Some people bring happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go" - Oscar Wilde
Old 13-03-2010   #12
Batchshrink Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayiramala View Post
Thanks midders, may I ask one more question?
Based on what you said, can I install two real AV programs like Bitdefender and Eset on one system, with the real-time protection of one permanently disabled? This is how the discussion began. But I would like to know what you think about this. Also, do you know any people actually doing it?
Thanks again.
Ayiramala
Please don't PM with questions like this; put it in the thread so that everyone can read it. Thx.

Yes, you can have two AV apps installed with the real-time protection of one disabled, but there is not much point in doing it. I don't know anyone who does this. The generally recommended config is to have one AV app installed with real-time protection and then run others on an ad-hoc basis e.g. I use Avira but run Malwarebytes Antimalware, Superantispyware, and Spywareblaster every now and then to check for malware that Avira might have missed.

Slainte

midders
Old 13-03-2010   #13
Senior Moderator

Another option is to run one of the Java based online ones, such as HouseCall or Kapersky. These will always be the most up to date.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010   #14
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midders View Post
...The generally recommended config is to have one AV app installed with real-time protection and then run others on an ad-hoc basis e.g. I use Avira but run Malwarebytes Antimalware, Superantispyware, and Spywareblaster every now and then to check for malware that Avira might have missed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Another option is to run one of the Java based online ones, such as HouseCall or Kapersky. These will always be the most up to date.
I also agree the combination both posters mention here is as good as you can get....and it´s what I also practise.

Something I think hasn´t been mentioned so far is the wisdom of keeping your security patches up-to-date!!! This means the Windows stuff as well as Firefox, Java and Adobe stuff...as annoying as it may be. They are patching known and used security weakness (usually) as quickly as they are aware of them. Some people forget to even check their anti-virus program database is updated. I had one case where a friend had problems, but assured me her anti-virus was all good: I checked...it wasn´t, in fact it had expired about a year ago!!! So, check that your stuff is running properly, look at it´s logs to see it is completing its scans...and what it´s doing with the stuff it finds, and that ALL updates are being managed properly.

Mciahel will be along shortly to remind us all that we shouldn´t be doing our daily operations under administrative settings...the biggest loophole of all!!!
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010   #15
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimator View Post
Mciahel will be along shortly to remind us all that we shouldn´t be doing our daily operations under administrative settings...the biggest loophole of all!!!

Thanks for doing this for me
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote