Old 13-06-2006   #1
New on Forum

Can overplaying a CD wear out the sound quality?

Hello there, maybe this is a stupid question, but I wanted to know, if you overplay a CD, will the sound quality be affected? Here's what my CD sounds like: On the first track of the disc the sound on the left speaker sounds a little muffled, like the treble has been decreased. But the sound on the right speaker sounds just fine. All the other tracks on the CD sound perfect on both the speakers, so I know my stereo is not the problem (all the other discs I play sound fine). I bought this CD used. If the previous owner of the CD overplayed the first track on the CD, could they have affected the sound quality that way? Would it make sense that only one speaker of sound is affected? Sorry if this seems stupid. Thanks!
SeanAltruda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Can overplaying a CD wear out the sound quality?

Not likely...Have you tried playing it on another system? If not, then find another system and compare them...I'm pretty sure that you'll find them identical.

Backup System
Intel D865GLC P4 3.0E 4GB DDR400 2x Maxtor 250GB BenQ 1620 BenQ 1650 Matrox P650
InWin Q500/Antec True550 Dual 17"LCD

Workhorse System
SuperMicro P6DBS P3 850MHz x 2 1GB SDRAM 4x Seagate UW 9.1GB LiteOn 1633S Pioneer A-305S Matrox G450
InWin Q500/PC Power & Cooling 510 ATX Dual 15"LCD

Play System
AOpen AX4SG P4 2.8E 2GB DDR400 2x Maxtor 160GB BenQ 1620 BenQ 822A Matrox G550
Antec CS600/Antec True550 Dual 17"LCD

Server/Firewall
Biostar P4TDK P4 2.4GHz 2GB DDR400 2x Seagate 160GB BenQ 1620 LiteOn SOHD 167T
Matrox G450 Antec CS600/Antec True550 19" CRT

All Computers Use TB SantaCruz Sound Cards & RealMagic Hollywood+ DVD Decoder cards
pipemanid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006   #3
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

In my opinion no.

The disc contain the same digital information and can't be changed. What can happen is that disc become dirty or scratched, and then more difficult to read, but this don't modify in any way digital informations on the disc.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006   #4
MyCE Resident

No, not at all!

I suggest making a new copy of the disc, or buying a new copy if that doesn't work.
DJMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006   #5
Senior Moderator & Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAltruda
I bought this CD used.
Is this a genuine pressed commercial CD? Some copies passed off as genuine used original CDs could be badly recorded with a poor stereo balance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkidd57
Is this a genuine pressed commercial CD? Some copies passed off as genuine used original CDs could be badly recorded with a poor stereo balance.
This happened to me once. I bought a used cd from a used cd store that i thought was an import because i had never seen this record on cd. Turns out whoever sold the cd had created a cover and burned the tracks from an album because of the pops and clicks i heard while listening to the cd. I hadn't bothered to look at the bottom and notice the cd dye was a dark purple as opposed to silver like a real cd. The surprising thing was that the record store didn't catch it either.
sikoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006   #7
New on Forum

How can you tell if your CD is genuinely pressed and not some cleverly disguised burned CD that looks real (with a label that looks like the original)?
SeanAltruda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006   #8
Senior Moderator & Editor

If you re-read sikoone's post just above, you'll see that the colour of the playing surface may be something other than silver.

Otherwise, you could use CD-DVD Speed to see whether there's a specific media ID (MID) associated with your disc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote