Old 03-09-2007   #1
New on Forum

Burned DVD Pauses every few secs

Hello, I copyed my origanal copy of Cars with RipIt4Me and then it went to use DVD Shrink. All went well, but I did notice I think that the files were vob ?. New to this so not sure if thats right as I think my first movie were something else? Anyway I used nero 7 burn rom to burn and that went well. I played the DVD in my home player and the previews were perfect but when played the movie it pauses every few seconds at the opening and when it got to the movie it self it pauses every seconds screen goes black and shows a bit of the movie and does the same thing. I wonder if my settings are wrong in my software or something. Any suggestions on this would be great and thank in advance. Please feel free to ask anything else you might need to know. Thank you.
CelticFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #2
Administrator

Re: Burned DVD Pauses every few secs

Could be the quality of blank disks you are using. What is the id code for these disks? Use DVDIdentifier or Nero CD/DVD Speed (disk info tab) to tell us the manufacturer id code (MID). This information is usually much more helpful than just telling us the brand name. We generally recommend Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden disks around here as safe choices for blank media.

Another possible problem might be the amount of compression you had to use to put the dvd onto a dvdr. Do you remember the settings in DVDShrink? Did you back up the main movie only, or did you do the whole thing?

Have you had any other problems playing burned dvds in your player?
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #3
MyCE Resident

It worthwhile to use good brand media (TY, Verbatim, and Sony) to find out the problem rest on the media you are using or your system has bottle neck.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #4
New on Forum

Here is the blank disc info.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R
Book Type : DVD+R
Manufacturer: : CMC
MID : CMC MAG M01 000 (00)
Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4482 MB
: 4700375040 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Write strategies : 4 X
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - .........&.?....
0010 - 00 00 07 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 47 00 4D 30 31 00 38 - ...CMC.MAG.M01.8
0020 - 23 54 37 18 00 3E 6E 00 70 62 15 15 0B 0B 08 08 - #T7..>n.pb......
0030 - 01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - ................
0040 - 01 00 38 38 00 1D 62 35 07 30 22 10 08 20 1C 01 - ..88..b5.0".....
0050 - 00 00 00 1D 62 35 07 30 22 10 08 20 1C 01 00 00 - ....b5.0".......

As for the settings for DVDShrink I didnt change anything in them and I backed up the whole movie. This is the second movie I have done and the first was Rambo First Blood and it came out perfect.
Old 04-09-2007   #5
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

What speed did you burn them at?

I usually burn those at 8x, and even then it's hit or miss whether the movies freeze or not.

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #6
New on Forum

I did it at 4x
Old 04-09-2007   #7
Administrator

As Arachne says, that is inconsistent media. What burner do you have? If it is an older one, you might need to update the firmware.

Backing up an entire dvd often times leads to poor quality if you are using DVDShrink. It really depends on the length of the movie. I've seen blocky video produced by Shrink at high compression levels, but no stops and starts, which is really why I suspect the media rather than Shrink in this particular case. You might try some Verbatim disks if they are available in your area.

As a rule of thumb, I never use Shrink if it requires more compression than 90 on its scale (which means the movie is reduced in size to 90% of its original size). If it needs more, I use DVDRebuilder and a good encoding program. The HC encoder that is included with the free version of Rebuilder works very well. It just takes much longer than a transcoder like Shrink. You might want to look into it if you want higher quality backups.
Old 04-09-2007   #8
New on Forum

As for my burner, Im not sure exact what kind it is. My puter is a Compaq and its a Litescribe DVD Writer/CD Writer. Pc is only 2 yrs old. The software I use is in order is RipIt4Me, DVD Decrypter, process with FixVTS then DVD Shrink and burn with Nero 7 Burn ROM. Ill look into that software you mentioned Kerry56.
Old 04-09-2007   #9
MyCE Senior Member

How long would the HC Encoder and DVD rebuiler take? I heard it could take up to a day.
BoSox2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #10
MyCE Resident

Solution #1
Update firmware + Buy better media

Solution #2
Buy new burner +update firmware + Buy better media
camellote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox2882
How long would the HC Encoder and DVD rebuiler take? I heard it could take up to a day.
Encoding times depend almost entirely on the speed of the cpu.

Of course, some encoders are faster than others, but the faster ones are not free. If you want to get one that would work with DVDRebuilder, CCE Basic would be the most economical choice. I advise using the HC encoder first, just to see if you can tell the difference between Rebuilder and Shrink, especially if you use a big screen tv.

I have just built a new computer with a Core 2 Duo cpu, got it running at 2.7ghz. I haven't reencoded a dvd with it, but did convert a 700mb avi to dvd last night. It took 2hrs to reencode with ProCoder using the slowest and highest quality settings . That would have taken about 3-3 1/2 hrs on my old AMD 64 3000+. Intel cpus are slightly faster for video encoding, and the new Core2 Duos are very, very good for this particular task.

On the old rig, I would let it work overnight to reencode a dvd. It never took more than ~4hrs as I recall. But again, I was using a faster encoder than HC, and a pretty good machine. With the new machine I believe I could do batch jobs of two or three dvds overnight. We'll see. I haven't bought any new dvds lately to try it out.

So, to sum it up, try the free version of Rebuilder. Use the HC encoder and let it run overnight while you sleep. You'll never know how long it takes with your particular machine till you try it. If you don't find the quality is better, or not enough to go to this much trouble, you can always go back to Shrink.
Old 04-09-2007   #12
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56
Encoding times depend almost entirely on the speed of the cpu.

Of course, some encoders are faster than others, but the faster ones are not free. If you want to get one that would work with DVDRebuilder, CCE Basic would be the most economical choice. I advise using the HC encoder first, just to see if you can tell the difference between Rebuilder and Shrink, especially if you use a big screen tv.

I have just built a new computer with a Core 2 Duo cpu, got it running at 2.7ghz. I haven't reencoded a dvd with it, but did convert a 700mb avi to dvd last night. It took 2hrs to reencode with ProCoder using the slowest and highest quality settings . That would have taken about 3-3 1/2 hrs on my old AMD 64 3000+. Intel cpus are slightly faster for video encoding, and the new Core2 Duos are very, very good for this particular task.

On the old rig, I would let it work overnight to reencode a dvd. It never took more than ~4hrs as I recall. But again, I was using a faster encoder than HC, and a pretty good machine. With the new machine I believe I could do batch jobs of two or three dvds overnight. We'll see. I haven't bought any new dvds lately to try it out.

So, to sum it up, try the free version of Rebuilder. Use the HC encoder and let it run overnight while you sleep. You'll never know how long it takes with your particular machine till you try it. If you don't find the quality is better, or not enough to go to this much trouble, you can always go back to Shrink.
Thank you.

Also what do you use to convert AVI's to DVD? How does this work, wouldnt there be no menu? or do you use Nero or something to create a menu?
BoSox2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #13
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Thank you.

Also what do you use to convert AVI's to DVD? How does this work, wouldnt there be no menu? or do you use Nero or something to create a menu?
I use ConvertXtoDVD. Menu is an option very EZ to use.

two Scintific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVRs
New home built Asus mainboard,AMD Phenom II X4 3.0Ghz, 8Gb Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, 2 DVD burners, Sapphire Vapor-x video card.
Acer Aspire 6530G 16" (820Gb total HDD space) on a wireless home network
Asus Eee PC 1000HE 10.1" (upgraded to 2Gb Ram and 320Gb HDD, Asus external DVD burner)
DVD Burners: Liteon: SHW-160P6S, 165H6SLH-20A1P, LH-18A1P; Sony DRU-120C, AWQ170A-B2
DVD Players: Panasonic 2x DVD S52, DVD S1; Philips DVP5140/37DVP642/17, Magnavox MWD200G

Others: WD, Roku, kworld Media Players, Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U, Toshiba VCRs W808 SVHS, W704 VHS
click here to become a member of cdfreaks.com
CCRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you.

I generally use ProCoder to convert avi to dvd, though I actually convert to elementary audio and video streams and then author to dvd with DVDLab Pro. I build menus and add chapter points in Lab Pro, though I rarely make elaborate menus. Has to be something special.

I find ProCoder to be very good for conversion. More robust, less likely to lose audio/video sync, even with some difficult avi's my friend sent me with mp3 vbr audio. I also use it with DVDRebuilder now, pretty much exclusively. I've experimented with HC and CCE Basic as the encoder within ReBuilder, but prefer ProCoder.
Old 07-09-2007   #15
New on Forum

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the help. Thanks also again Kerry56, I used those two software you suggested and the DVD came out perfect! Thank everybody!! Its great to have people who care to give us noobs a hand.